• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[OU] Abra, Kadabra... Mega Alakazam!

Costa

Pike Queen
Years
  • Hello! This is a team I've had for a while, and I'm looking to update it for the Gen 7 meta. I use it frequently on Showdown, and the only really big problems I face are super tanky/stall teams and Mega Sableye.

065-mega.gif

Alakazam @ Alakazite
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

The star of the team. Alakazam only comes in as a late-game sweeper when all the opponent's Pokemon are weakened. The moves are for coverage and to aid in sweeping. The EVs are simply maxed Speed and Sp.Atk.

639.gif

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Taunt

Usually the first to come in, it attempts to feign a choice band or scarf on the first turn (unless taunt is obviously necessary) and uses stealth rock on the second turn. Sometimes you can squeeze in a stealth rock on the first turn if the opponent switches out. From there, it could be a suicide lead or simply switch out based on the opponent.

625.gif

Bisharp @ Life Orb
    Ability: Defiant
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Pursuit
    - Sucker Punch
    - Iron Head

Bisharp specializes in taking down Ghost or Psychic types which could harm the team severely if not checked. Pursuit and Sucker Punch have utility in priority and squeezing in extra damage on the switch out. Knock off is good for removing items and hitting hard in general. Iron Head is for Fairy types.

700.gif

Sylveon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pixilate
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Heal Bell
    - Wish
    - Protect

Sylveon switches things up in a generally hyper-offensive team. She functions as the main support, using Heal Bell and Wish to remove burns and paralysis and keep the fight going. Protect makes using Wish on herself super easy, and Hyper Voice is a good all-around move as well as a Dragon type counter.

(Some people have said a more offensive Fairy type would be better, maybe Azumarill, but I like having a nice reset button for status and damage. Maybe there's a compromise somewhere? Or maybe I should get over it?)

445.gif

Garchomp @ Life Orb
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Stone Edge

Garchomp's purpose is to muscle through any Pokemon which can't be easily countered by Sylveon, Bisharp, or Zapdos. He's surprisingly well-rounded ? tanky, fast, and powerful with toes dipped into both physical and special attacks. He can fill in for Terrakion when an enemy Earthquake is in the equation, or take advantage of enemy Sunny Day users when their Solar Beams fail to take him down by countering with Fire Blast.

(I struggle a bit with movesets here. Iron Head, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Fire Blast, Draco Meteor, Poison Jab, and Surf/Aqua Tail all have their own advantages, and all can be effectively utilized.)

145.gif

Zapdos @ Leftovers
    Ability: Static
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Discharge
    - Heat Wave
    - Roost

Zapdos spreads paralysis and acts as a meat shield while countering most tanky water types and surprising Steel types. Roost helps it in its meat shielding duties, and Heat Wave is good coverage. Volt Switch allows for fast switching and sometimes can take down very low health enemies.

(I've been debating using Defog, but find he's a bit sluggish like that. I dunno. If you have a better offensive electric type, let me know.)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    You could change Garchomp's set to a (physical) Swords Dance+Dragonium Z/Groundium Z one, see if that helps you break teams a bit better. Clefable would be something to consider over Sylveon. Does the same job, but trades some firepower for better abilities (for the role) in Magic Guard and Unaware. Defog is probably worth experimenting with on Zapdos.

Though with Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon coming out in a couple of days, this may all be rendered moot lol

Years
  • Nice team, but I see a few discrepancies. First off my friend, You probably should pair syveon in a core, a physical tank that can deal with hard hitters like Mega-gross, Scizor or strong steel types. It's bulky but it's not a physical wall and switching it into physical attackers might be risking its longevity ( like say a surprised Poison jab or Ironhead). I understand why you're using Zapdos but I think having it is kinda redundant considering sylveon is more or less a special wall. The Lati twins might give it trouble and it's also setup fodder for Chari X or maybe bulky heatran could toxic stall it? In other words, it's not always a reliable answer to steel types (I'm looking at you Mega-Gron, heat wave doesn't get STAB) perhaps you should switch its nature to bold if you still plan on using it.
    I also notice your team is made up of mostly fragile mons so I'd recommend a slow voltturn core to bring in your mons safely.
    Sorry if I come off as condescending or rude. I'm just giving my honest opinion. >.<

Last edited:
    Years
  • if you are having trouble vs. stall i recommend swapping Sylveon for lele with the set:
    Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Psychic Surge
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Psychic
    - Moonblast
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    also for the type of team that you are showing terrakion has no place nor is a suicide lead(thats what it looks like to me) is needed switch terrackion with landorus-T for more consistant hazards and a ground immunity.
    Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Stealth Rock
    - U-turn
    as a side note lele and zam synergize well offensively as psychic terrain will boost zams psychics to jaw-dropping levels.
    i would also switch volt switch for defog as that is almost mandatory on any team due to spikes/T-spikes .
    also you may want a scarfer as a counter measure to set up. its up to you

Last edited:
    Back