• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Liberation?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • So when you encounter Tram Plasma and N for the first time, they talk about the liberation of Pokémon; that Pokémon can't truly be 'free' because they're captured and confined in pokeballs by Pokémon trainers, and constantly recorded in the Pokédex. So, the best course of action according to them, is to convince trainers to release their Pokémon.

Now, reading about their ideals at first, did you agree with their ideals of Pokémon liberation? Would Pokemon be happier if they were liberated? Is liberation too drastic? Feel free to share!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I agree with Team Plasma and probably would have joined them but left as soon as Ghetsis revealed his craziness.

I mean... just let 'em walk by your side. No need for Pokeballs! :)

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Team Plasma has the distinction of being one of the first teams to canonically use a legitimate argument, even if it is fueled by the emotive side of the brain, as their primary motive. (Aqua/Magma had their merits, but were well-intentioned extremists that'd be classified as eco-terrorists.)

While some sources claim that Pokemon can only find happiness in battle, and that trainers help them achieve their highest potential, clearly there are other examples of pokemon being just as varied and diverse in their wants as humankind - some pursue stardom in contests and like challenges, others are into the care of young (examples in many games of pokemon looking after human children), simple companionship, and, yes, some do like to battle.

Due to the language gap (sans psychic pokemon for translation), and technology that allowed human superiority in the barest sense, it is entirely possible that things can be taken too far. IRL, humans are the greatest pursuit predator in existence, and are used as an example of that thing that just keeps going and going, and showing up when their prey through they were safe. The same could be said of collectors in world. There would be ethical issues involved with having a single person completing a Pokedex in the realities of the Pokemon world, because unless you were creating an entire ecosystem and reserve, there would be no way to care for them and see them comfortable/tended/have all of their needs met. There would also be the potentials of battles taken too far, and B/W gives us so far the most adult lens in the entire series without quite pulling back that curtain.

I personally love that B/W forces the player to really think about things, and where they sit in the scheme of things. Right and wrong are, oftentimes, culturally dictated. How does it look when someone from another culture learns how the subject works? How does it function when judged by the values of itself, or another culture's value?

Simply put, I feel like many pokemon see their relationship with humans as symbiotic - they both stand to benefit from it. But I doubt that every single one has the same perspective, and I imagine that the pedestal that humankind is put on in the Pokemon world may very well grate against some and cause resentment.

Years
  • Yeah, I'd think it better if Pokemon weren't confined to balls, considering that you have to first beat them up so badly that they just surrender to captivity without a fight, making it not exactly consensual. It would be better morally to release them, like that. Pokedex though...that doesn't really affect the Pokemon, does it? You just scan them real quick after seeing them one time? It doesn't hurt them or anything.

Back