• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Alolan Mix-Up: Submit a movepool for Alolan Butterfree!

Which of these options should we use for Alolan Butterfrees movepool?

• [url="https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9665206&postcount=44"]Option One[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [url="https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9665229&postcount=45"]Option Two[/url]

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • [url="https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9665551&postcount=46"]Option Three[/url]

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Alolan Mix-Up

pr_alola-770x562.png

Make-a-Mega is returning, but it's not returning alone! I'll be alternating the months we create Mega Evolutions in MaM with months we create an Alolan Form in the Alolan Mix-Up. Since Generation Seven is the most recent, we'll be starting things off with a Mix-Up.

How This Works

An Alolan Mix-Up works much the same as MaM does. Over a number of weeks we'll work together as a community to create an Alolan regional variant of an existing Pokemon from one of the other regions. Here in Battling & Team Building, we'll decide on our Alolan Pokemon's new type, ability, stat distribution and also changes to its movepool. Meanwhile, once our Pokemon is selected, a partner thread in Art & Design will go up where the appearance of our Pokemon will be designed.

Decisions here will be made through a series of quick polls. Each week we will have three days of submissions and then four days with the poll up to make our decisions. The poll topics will be as follows

Week One: Pokemon Selection
    Week Two: Type Selection
    Week Three: Ability Selection (Same number of abilities as the original form)
    Week Four: Stat Distribution
    Week Five: Moves by Level Up

Rules

To keep things fair and make sure we don't break the games' lore, we'll have some rules to follow.

1. No Legendary Pokemon
    2. You may only submit one suggestion for each poll.
    3. Don't submit Pokemon native to Alola, that already possess Alolan forms or that have a Mega Evolution.
    5. Whilst you can rearrange the stats of the Alola form, you cannot change the Pokemon's base stat total.
    6. Try to give some reasoning for your suggestions and feel free to discuss those of other participants.
    7. Have fun. Or else.

With all that out of the way, feel free to start putting some ideas forward!​

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I voted for Butterfree!(Obviously) It was rumored to have an Alola form, but that turned out to be untrue. I still think it has a ton of possibilities for a new form and needs some love. Especially since Beedrill has a mega!

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Voted for all Kanto Pok?mon! I think they're the ones who would make for creative Alolan forms with unusual typings.

Years
  • Voted for psyduck. Btw I realised that changing psyduck's typing would mean it affecting golduck too. I might only suggest from now on the final evolutions.
    Here are the reasons for not voting others-
    Carbink-Diancie already has a mega evo
    Poliwag-Changing poliwag's typing would mean changing poliwhirl and polowrath's typing(ignoring politoed)
    Dunsprace- What's a dunsprace?
    Butterfree - Jealousy
    Ambipom - Now I come to think of it, I like idea of ambipom getting an alolan form.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I voted for Psyduck and Poliwag with the assumption that we're doing the final evolutions. Butterfree got my vote too.

Butterfree could be Bug/Psychic. Golduck has a ton of possibilities, such as Psychic, Dark, Ghost, Ice, and maybe even drop the Water typing. Alolan Politoed could be like one of those frogs in Zelda that fly in clouds. Poliwrath is a bit restricted unless its Water typing is removed for something like Poison, but then it'll just be another Toxicroak...

Years
  • I voted for Psyduck and Poliwag with the assumption that we're doing the final evolutions. Butterfree got my vote too.

Butterfree could be Bug/Psychic. Golduck has a ton of possibilities, such as Psychic, Dark, Ghost, Ice, and maybe even drop the Water typing. Alolan Politoed could be like one of those frogs in Zelda that fly in clouds. Poliwrath is a bit restricted unless its Water typing is removed for something like Poison, but then it'll just be another Toxicroak...

With the Alola Forms, I'll do whichever evolutionary stage I'm given and then write for the appropriate meta.

Years
  • Sorry for being a day late guys! PC went down and it kind of slipped my mind to do this earlier today. Butterfree has won a narrow victory in the poll so now it's time to choose a new type (or new types!) for it. Throw your suggestions at us!

Sirfetch’d

Butterfree's Flying typing doesn't do much for it. Offensively, its most powerful Flying-type move is Hidden Power Flying, which is never worth using. Defensively, it protects Butterfree from both forms of Spikes and Sticky Web but leaves it horrifically weak to Stealth Rock, which is much more concerning. The other major issue with this typing is that it means Butterfree must compete with the 4,504,383 other Bug / Flying Quiver Dance sweepers in the lower tiers.

Now, with a Bug / Psychic typing, there come several drawbacks. First, Butterfree is no longer immune to Ground-type moves. However, this is mostly irrelevant, as Butterfree is hard-pressed to switch into any attacks in the first place and almost everything that runs Ground-type moves for STAB carries Rock-type coverage anyway. Next, Butterfree is now vulnerable to every form of entry hazard. This is actually quite concerning, but Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes are not common in PU, and having a lessened Stealth Rock weakness is somewhat helpful. Butterfree also gains very bothersome weaknesses to Ghost- and Dark-type moves, which no Pokemon really wants - in particular, it is even easier to Pursuit trap.

However, this Butterfree's offensive capabilities improve markedly. It now has a secondary STAB which hits quite hard in Psychic, giving it a niche over the plethora of other Bug-type Quiver Dancers in the lower tiers. Bug complements Psychic fairly well, letting Butterfree discourage Dark-types from switching in. It also becomes a better offensive check to Fighting-types with its brand, spanking new STAB move. You could even run Sleep Powder / Dream Eater!!!!! (pls dont)

I know we aren't to the ability phase yet, but Magic Guard could be really good and make sense if we go with Bug/Psychic

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I like christos' idea, bug/psychic makes sense but that feels more mega-butterfree to me, alola form is meant to be different than expected in my eyes so I'm going with the bug/dark combo as well, maybe butterfree had to become more aggressive/stealthy to survive

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I wouldn't mind a bug/dark type! We could give it cool moves like crunch, leech life, etc

Years
  • Bug/Ghost sounds interesting. I imagine some really cool designs could come of it and its has the same benefit of being able to scare off Dark Pokemon that might want to switch in and carries two types its immune to... plus it wouldn't have the Fairy weakness which is something nothing needs with Fairy running rampant everywhere.

Back