• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pok?mon Academy Life (Visual Novel) - DEMO v1.0.3a LIVE

How should characters be associated with Pokémon types?

• With their signature Pokémon (if any)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Based on their personalities

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
I wanted to roomate with the music dude but his good friend came with him from Kalos and I didn't want to be a buzzkiller so I choose Brendan by random.

Ah, we expected some kind of reaction like that. Completely intended!

Glad you like it so far. There's a lot of work we still need to do, but all the feedback and comments do help us progress in the right direction.

VisualJae

Years
Gonna need some insight from video recording pros, if there are any here!

Recently we spotted some issues with people recording gameplay, where the demo's in-game videos start to lag. Depending on the recording software, the lag can be horrendous or unnoticeable.

In-game videos include the splash screen, demo credits and opening credits.

We're currently trying to figure out what settings determine the results. For instance, lossless recording via Fraps resulted in flawless video output. Meanwhile, the default settings for x264 for OBS resulted in major lag.

Last edited:
Years
Hi, i just tried out your game and may i just say, IT IS AWESOME!!! If you have recently checked your email then you might know that I am the same dvanw6 that emailed you, I cannot wait for a full game of this!

VisualJae

Years
We (on behalf of everyone working on this project, as freelancers or dedicated individuals) just want to say thank you. It hasn't even been five days since the first prologue demo was released to the public. The overwhelming support that the game's received so far has been pretty mind-blowing, considering we really didn't do any advertising. Upward of 200 downloads per day for the last three days and rising... we really didn't expect that.

Quite a few small YouTubers have played/tested/reviewed the game. We didn't know people would do this so it's exciting for us to check out new content. A relatively bigger YouTuber creator played it as well and has actually helped us with some testing (thank, Dawko!). We're expecting a couple more big YouTubers to try the game out as well, something we didn't see coming. Playlist for those interested in checking out the LPs.

But the most important thing is that people are excited about what we're doing. We've received so many emails from people telling us how excited they are... and all those walls of text offering suggestions and reporting bugs and errors... they all help. They really do, so many thanks.

There is so much work left to be done and I can't emphasize that point enough. But we're positively stubborn and I'm stubborn, so powering through this isn't something we're dreading.

We got a lot done in the last three months, which we're going to build upon and hope the next few months will be even more productive.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Years
We (on behalf of everyone working on this project, as freelancers or dedicated individuals) just want to say thank you. It hasn't even been five days since the first prologue demo was released to the public. The overwhelming support that the game's received so far has been pretty mind-blowing, considering we really didn't do any advertising. Upward of 200 downloads per day for the last three days and rising... we really didn't expect that.

Quite a few small YouTubers have played/tested/reviewed the game. We didn't know people would do this so it's exciting for us to check out new content. A relatively bigger YouTuber creator played it as well and has actually helped us with some testing (thank, Dawko!). We're expecting a couple more big YouTubers to try the game out as well, something we didn't see coming.

But the most important thing is that people are excited about what we're doing. We've received so many emails from people telling us how excited they are... and all those walls of text offering suggestions and reporting bugs and errors... they all help. They really do, so many thanks.

There is so much work left to be done and I can't emphasize that point enough. But we're positively stubborn and I'm stubborn, so powering through this isn't something we're dreading.

We got a lot done in the tlast three months, which we're going to build upon and hope the next few months will be even more productive.

Thanks again!

We should be saying thanks to you, we have just played the demo and it is so damn awesome! I cant wait to see what will happen in the rest of the game! Also cant wait for Ethan's PokeGear to be full of conatcts of players he beat of them telling him their Rattata has leveled up to level 6 XD

vampiricrogue

skydemonairpirates
Years
First off I want to thank you for your creation of the Pokemon Academy Life. It is actually the first visual novel that i played, and enjoyed.

Now on to business.

I made two live-streams of me playing the game, and I do have a couple of concerns and caught a couple glitches that I wished to report to you. I make commentary the entire time if that makes it easier in the developing process.

This is the first video link: youtube.com/watch?v=op3MBsMnLz0

Error 1: 0:30 to 17:45, the game was glitching out and not cooperating upon recording forme to get a proper session. I do not know if this was intentional or not by the creator.

Error 2: 54:56 - 58:50 This happened multiple times. The screen temporarily switched over to another screen that had nothing to do with the scene. Although this was a scene earlier used in this timeframe, it was irrelevant to the situation.

Here is the second video link: youtube.com/watch?v=KXVSTuWIQfI

Error 1: 1:46 - 4:39 Window randomly minimizes and the screen blacks out multiple times when trying to select it for the livestream.

Error 2: 1:43:29 - 1:45:13 - this is a personal gripe more then a glitch, because it wasnt clear enough to indicate that i was pushed off back on Tiero without a choice to stay with Trevor. RED could have at least confermed Trevors statement saying :Yeah, you kind of made me worried about that. I'm sorry." Or make a joke reference to the pokemon Loudred. ^.^;;

Error 3: 1:45:10 - 1:45:17 - Trevor glitched to white for a split second

If i run into anything else then I will let you know. Thank you again.

VisualJae

Years
Thanks for all the reports so far!

By the way...

Our character artist, dmjh93, is back to his shenanigans again... livestreaming his character art progress! Visit him at twitch.tv/dmjh93.

Can you believe who he's working on right now?

Spoiler:

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
No idea what our artist is working on now, but it looks like something crazy in the making...

AzmsfEk.png

Last edited:
Years
No idea what our artist is working on now, but it looks like something crazy in the making...

Hey look! Its me! And that it a poster for Pokemon Academy! Its gonna have Red, Blue, Leaf, Misty, Brock, Lance and some other Characters in it! Also wondering if Emerald will be added?

VisualJae

Years
Hey look! Its me! And that it a poster for Pokemon Academy! Its gonna have Red, Blue, Leaf, Misty, Brock, Lance and some other Characters in it! Also wondering if Emerald will be added?
Emerald is not likely to be added. Yellow was chosen because she happens to be quite popular in the fandom, even outside the manga reading audience.

Plus, we need her unique communication abilities :P

Last edited:
Years
Emerald is not likely to be added. Yellow was chosen because she happens to be quite popular in the fandom, even outside the manga reading audience.

Plus, we need her unique communication abilities :P

And speaking of which, Yellow's character art has been completed

True, i was hoping for Red to be peed on by Emerald XD Maybe you could just have red randomly peed on but you never find out who did it XD Also i saw the final yellow, the sad version of her gets me every time ;-;

vampiricrogue

skydemonairpirates
Years
My husband was wondering if the Johto characters will be in there....? Also is TODD the professional photographer for the school?

Years
My husband was wondering if the Johto characters will be in there....? Also is TODD the professional photographer for the school?

I can tell you that there is Johto characters like Gold, Sliver and Crystal and some gym leaders

Question, is it possible to play the earlier demos of the game?

Last edited by a moderator:

VisualJae

Years
Just realized I haven't showcased the most recent complete character sprites since Lucas's, Dawn's and Barry's.

So here are the latest ones:
Spoiler:

The student roster is almost completed, actually. Most of the focus will now be going to the academy staff and other NPCs.

Years
Just realized I haven't showcased the most recent complete character sprites since Lucas's, Dawn's and Barry's.

So here are the latest ones:
Spoiler:

The student roster is almost completed, actually. Most of the focus will now be going to the academy staff and other NPCs.

Sweet! I can smell another demo soon! But it won't be for maybe a little bit but it will be soon!

VisualJae

Years
Another minor update to version 1.01c.

Download page here

Info:
  • Minor bug and glitch fixes.
  • If you already have a previous version of the demo on your system, you may not have access to your old save files, but you can access the auto-saves in the "auto" page of the save/load menu.

Estimated demo game length:
  • Approximately 1 - 1.5 hours per character route.

Full Changelog:
  • Fixed additional instances of characters flashing while changing facial expressions.
  • Fixed several instances where characters would transition incorrectly.
  • Fixed several instances where characters would address the player as the default name.
  • Addressed an oversight that prevented auto-save files from displaying in the save menu.
  • Enabled menu access during narration sequences.
  • Tweaked some help menu content.

Known issues:
  • Those who try to record gameplay while playing may still experience lag when watching the in-game videos. Like before, possible solutions can involve adjusting your recording software's encoding and FPS settings. Recording with lossless settings may also help (tested with Fraps).
  • Sometimes save file thumbnails will not match the actual save point. Don't worry about it, it's just a visual anomaly.

Years
Another minor update to version 1.01c.

Download page here

Info:
  • Minor bug and glitch fixes.
  • If you already have a previous version of the demo on your system, you may not have access to your old save files, but you can access the auto-saves in the "auto" page of the save/load menu.

Estimated demo game length:
  • Approximately 1 - 1.5 hours per character route.

Full Changelog:
  • Fixed additional instances of characters flashing while changing facial expressions.
  • Fixed several instances where characters would transition incorrectly.
  • Fixed several instances where characters would address the player as the default name.
  • Addressed an oversight that prevented auto-save files from displaying in the save menu.
  • Enabled menu access during narration sequences.
  • Tweaked some help menu content.

Known issues:
  • Those who try to record gameplay while playing may still experience lag when watching the in-game videos. Like before, possible solutions can involve adjusting your recording software's encoding and FPS settings. Recording with lossless settings may also help (tested with Fraps).
  • Sometimes save file thumbnails will not match the actual save point. Don't worry about it, it's just a visual anomaly.

Hahaha, it might not be exactly what I meant, but it's still a demo! Hahaha! My nose never lies!

Back