• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] In terms of strength, how do you feel the gen8 starters line up?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • What it says. And yes, strength, not design, that's only to be talked about if you never used them or didn't play the gen8 games.

So yeah, that out of the way, how did you guys find the new starters in terms of usablity? Good? Bad? Boxed them in favour of something, either way because you thought they were too strong or too weak? Feel free to discuss.

Years
  • In terms of competive play they are very strong. There are only 3 starters in OU right now and Rillaboom and Ciderace are two of them. I would say they are the strongest Gen starters besides Inteleon which may be the worst starter peroid (Meganium tier).

Alpha Snowdust

Eevee Enthusiast
    Years
    • She/Her or They/Them
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    I agree with Cinderace being pretty strong, being able to know Electro Ball and having the ability Libero. Not too sure about Rillaboom or Inteleon since I don't have one yet. My sister has Rillaboom, and I do think it's pretty strong... I just can't have a firm opinion yet.

Years
  • Libero Cinderace is awesome, and I absolutely loved how I can change my starter's ability to the HA now. Also dk about Rillaboom or Inteleon but only recently found out the former was OU so clearly it's doing things well haha. Poor Inteleon though, is it because of its frail defenses and movepool?

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • I'm in a weird position where I like all three starters now, Cinderace has grown on me massively since launch and Grookey/Twackey I really like (not too big on Rillaboom but I like the drums idea). HOWEVER my boi Inteleon is my favourite atm, I don't do competitive so I don't worry about that so I just really love him being a secret agent with finger guns and the fact he gets a sniper town on GMax is even funnier to me so idk I love all three alot

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Feb 1, 2021
    Cinderace has a good movepool, and with the Libero ability, it can certainly throw some opponents off on typing. It also has a good speed stat. Rillaboom with grassy surge is OP with grassy glide. Paired with grassy terrain, it becomes a priority move, which, if used by a grass type it outclasses extreme speed and sucker punch in bp strength. Inteleon...well, um, I have not seen it in the competitive field at all. I cannot say much about it.

Back