• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The new formes of Platinum- A competetive discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Hi all.

As you will all know by now, the arrival of Platinum has brought with it new forms for three pokemon- Rotom, Giratina and Arceus. The object of this thread is to make note of all the new changes between the forms and just to get discussion going on what you think of them and how they will affect the competetive metagame of DPP.
    Source of all information: Serebii.net

Rotom
    Spoiler:

Shaymin
    Spoiler:

Giratina
    Spoiler:

As far as I am aware, those are all the changes that have been made. Now you may discuss =]

Last edited:

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    @#$%@$^&$#!!!#%%@@!@#@#4 SERENE GRACE!!1111!!!!!!!111!!!!1!

80 PER-FREAKIN'-CENT -2 SP.DEF DROP!!!11

60% FLINCH RATE AIR SLASH

GROWTH!!!!!!!!

And it can learn SOLAR BEAM!!!!!!

These were great changes to that creepy looking thing.

Woah, I completetly overlooked air slash's flnche rate. I'll edit that in later =]

Where did you find out it can learn growth?

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Ohh, I missed that serebii had put up the sky forme's movepool.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Finally, somebody else posts. I wanted to post that I don't feel Shaymin losing Natural Cure is such a bad thing. Seed Flare has an 80% chance of lowering sp.def. BY 2 STAGES. Nobody is safe. There is no safe switch ins. ABSOLUTELY NONE!!!!

Well, that's a lie. Meta & Tenta are good, but both are stopped by HP Ground.

Besides, Natural Cure is great for defensive Shaymin. Offensive really lieks Serene Grace.

& Lawn Mower has Leaf Storm, not Blizzard. You noob.

Now, on to the most important news ever in D/P....

Vileplume gets no additional moves, but that freakin bastard Bellosom, who is great, but not as good, gets LEAF BLADE?! What the #$%@! Seriously, it already has Leaf Storm!

And why the hell did they give Lava Plume to Flareon? I freakin hate Game Freak.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Shaymin@Life Orb
    Nature:Timid
    Seed Flare
    Air Slash
    HP Ground
    Growth/Substitute/solar Beam
    EV: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spe, 6 HP

You may be wondering, why Solar Beam? Well, my answer to that is, why not?

Substitute protects it against Weavile & the like.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Shaymin@Life Orb
    Nature:Timid
    Seed Flare
    Air Slash
    HP Ground
    Growth/Substitute/solar Beam
    EV: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spe, 6 HP

You may be wondering, why Solar Beam? Well, my answer to that is, why not?

Substitute protects it against Weavile & the like.

Walled by floaty steels, but i suppose that's the curse of shaymin :P

Moi.

I think I got ownt.
    Years
    Ahh shaymin is now cool. once i get platinum im soft touching for a good IVd timid one,

YAY. this is going to bring a whole new high to pokemon.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    I'm willing to take a risk on Rotom's Frost Form. Assuming it has same movepool as before w/ Blizzard,

Rotom @ Leftovers/Life Orb
    Modest/Timid Nature
    252 SPA/ 120 Def/ 132 Spe/ 6 HP

Blizzard
    Thunder Wave
    Thunderbolt/Discharge
    Shadow Ball

Of course, this would go an a Hail team of some sort.

Origin Forme Giratina?

Giratina @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf/ CHoice Specs
    Naive Nature
    252 Spe/ 252 spa/ 6 HP

Draco Meteor
    Aura Sphere
    Shadow Ball
    Earth Power

Giratina's increased offensive stats open up an oppurtunity for sweeping.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I feel Giratina's new forme is going to be overall less effective =/ It just doesn't hit that hard in ubers, and before, those +20 defenses helped it a lot. 120 and 100 are noticably different.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    No way. Togekiss is so damn bulky, plus it learns Nasty Plot.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
    Well considering Sky Shaymin doesn't need the para support to cause flinch-hax it frees up a moveslot for the epic seed flare, which in essence is a reverse Nasty Plot (that is lowering the Sp Def - 2 of the opponent)

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years
    And it has Growth, souping up his powerful Solar Beam attack. Or Seed Flare. Whatever.
    Thank god it doesn't stat-up as fast as Nasty Plot

I guess a good Sky Shaymin moveset would be...
    Shaymin @ Life Orb
    Timid
    4 HP/252 SPATK/252 SPD (or however many needed if you only want to outspeed Base 125's, I guess)
    Growth
    Seed Flare
    Air Slash
    HP Fire
    Growth to boost her Special Attack, Seed Flare and Air Slash for STAB, and HP Fire to rape the steels that resist them.

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
    Okay, how's this for the new Shaymin form? (I'm going to use most of sims' information and upgrade it some.)

Shaymin (Sky Form)@ Leftovers/Life Orb
    Timid
    252sp.atk/236spd/20HP

Seed Flare
    Air Slash
    HP Ground/HP Fire (your choice of dealing with Heatran/Metagross or Skarm/Zong easier)
    Substitute/Leaf Storm (secondary grass move if Seed Flare runs out of PP)/Quick Attack (more on this in a minute)/Growth

"Skymin" is going to be a huge OU threat should it stay there. The last move is really a toss up. Substitute on a switch and get a moment to think. Respond accordingly when your Substitute breaks or use it to protect from Pursuit. Leaf Storm is an optional grass move to give immense power, but that sp.atk drop really hurts unless you're either suiciding or needing a little more kick to your next attack. Quick Attack may seem like a joke, but note that 103 base attack to at least cause a little bit of hurt. It's useful in downing a Sashed Weavile. Growth can be used on an anticipated switch to give your attacks even more power.

EVs give Skymin 384 speed, still enough to outrun Weavile and base 125s. HP hits 346, which has no real mark, but every hit point counts. Should you use Quick Attack, you can stuff those minor HP EVs into attack.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back