• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

POKeMON CALAMITY

Should The main character have dialog? Meaning he speaks. and has his own Personality

• Yes

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Dont Care

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
POKeMON RPG

I've been going over my topic, my game idea, and I've been thinking alot while my old idea was cool in a way it was nothing new so I'm starting over. I asked myself this,
What makes my game differ from the rest? Absolutely nothing! It's the exactly the same
As most of the other games that get posted on the community here, not that there is nothing wrong with that I just wanted something different. As most games, even the original games follow this routine: Hero gets Pokémon, Hero collects Pokémon for the professor, and hero gets into it with some evil team, yes that can be cool and exciting, but I thought what if I made a Pokémon game, more like an RPG game, like an actual adventure type with the ideals of Pokémon. Hero loses everything and embarks on a journey to get some sort of closure...

This is where my game begins.
pkmnrpg.png
Story:
It's been 6 years since you've lost your parents; you have been raised by your older bro so far. One day you have a strange dream, telling you that it's your destiny to embark on a journey to find Justice for your parents wrong doing... You awake thinking nothing of the dream and tell no one but an old man that lives next door who you grown quite close with. At the time he says nothing to you about importance of your dream. You don't wish to travel and you find it hard to believe that you are some hero. One day you awaken to find everyone vanished from your home town. Thinking of the old man you rush to his home and you find a note on the table, the note tells you your dream was the truth, you must take the pokemon egg off the table and travel to Stone Ridge town, there you will find the answers you seek. Seeing no other choice you take the egg and head out.

Plot:
You're a 16 year old boy/girl and you must find out the truth about what happened to the people in your home town. In your journey you discover truths about you and your family you discover things you never could have imagined. You will travel to new towns meeting many new people gathering information, items and pokemon along the way, and finally you find what you've been searching for. Your journey will be a tough and challenging one, there will be many people who try to stop you do you have what it takes? Can you handle the truth? You decide...

I have given you guys very little about the story and the plot because I dont wish to ruin the adventure, the answers you may be asking are in the game and is part of your journey. Along the way you'll discover things like who were your parents what happened to them. Who is this mysterious old man who you've become friends with and alot more you'll just have to play to find out!

FEATURES:

Spoiler:

I'd like to have custom main character sprites, but I'm not great at spriting so if you wanna help send me a pm of your work.
If you like what you see and wanna offer some help simply pm me or drop me a visitor msg... :)

DEMO:
Removed, due to its problems a newer and complete demo will be released

Credits:
Poccil - POKeMon Kit
4th Gen Matt - Resource Pack
Kyledove - Tiles
SVC and Wichu - HG/SS OW's
Wichu - Battlers

Alot has changed, and more updates will be coming very soon, Please check this post for updates. I think its best if you dont have to search through pages when/if this thread becomes popular

Last edited:

KingCharizard

Years
No one has any thoughts ideas or suggestions... I mean I know i dont have much and its still basically in planning stage but this is my first game and i'd like suggestions pointers and what not... c'mon help a newbie(Noob) out... :)

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Well...first of all, all the new sprites you use are blurred. Which takes away from the rest of the pixelated graphics. You should work on that. Also the usage of the new sprites isn't that special anymore since most people have and use them. As for the mapping, most of it looks plain. It's very rectangular and not many different terrains are present, or even little things like ponds or other things to break up the dull look. Also having just one row of trees will make the edges appear black when playing the game....which you should fix. Also, I don't recommend mixing those 3rd gen doors with the 4th gen tiles. The two color schemes just clash with one another. These are the only comments I could bring up for now since not that much is really presented to comment on.

KingCharizard

Years
Well...first of all, all the new sprites you use are blurred. Which takes away from the rest of the pixelated graphics. You should work on that. Also the usage of the new sprites isn't that special anymore since most people have and use them. As for the mapping, most of it looks plain. It's very rectangular and not many different terrains are present, or even little things like ponds or other things to break up the dull look. Also having just one row of trees will make the edges appear black when playing the game....which you should fix. Also, I don't recommend mixing those 3rd gen doors with the 4th gen tiles. The two color schemes just clash with one another. These are the only comments I could bring up for now since not that much is really presented to comment on.

Thanks a bunch I too think the maps are plain... I'm trying to add some glamour. :)
Also didnt really like the sprites either i just gotta figure out how to fix it... Im new at this stuff... and the edges of the maps will be fixed on each final version of the map i just dont like the map too big while im working on it... Thanks Im trying to figure everything out as i go I promise the final version will look alot better...

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
If you need some resources, for the Overworlds from HG/SS which has all those that you need get this file here, and this is the file that contains all the Pokemon Overworlds. You should credit SVC and Wichu for bringing those up and fixing the Pokemon OWs.

For the already resized Pokemon D/P sprites that you are using, download the file here for the first frame, and here for the second frame. I would again credit Wichu for resizing and indexing them, and check out who riped those too and give appropriate credit.

KingCharizard

Years
Thanks And here i thought I was starting the HG/SS revloution... LOL shoulda known.. But im greatful for the resources... the second set of links are broken... but thats okay im just greatful for the help

KingCharizard

Years
Im Curious whats everybody's thoughts on the story.. I know its cliche for the most part but what are games without some repetive storylines... For instance RPG's are always filles with tons os cliches... But i believe I walked off the cliche path atleast alittle... Instead of an actual organization you have 9 rouge trainers each with the same goal... They do go about it differently I might add... But this is only a basic idea if you dont like it why not tell me what you think could improve it... I Mean seriously I have 210+ views and not one person commented on anything I posted yet they vote in the poll... How can I improve my idea if no one works with me to perfect my thoughts... That usually how the Game Creation process works...

IDEA > GAME DEVS GATHER 2 DISCUSS IT > PERFECT THE IDEA > AND YOU HAVE YOUR GAME

Yeah, Yeah i know there is alot in between... But my point is this not many fan games get completed because No one makes the effort to help the developer, instead they sit and wait & watch and in the end when the project begins to be too much for the developer he quits because lack of support and help... I have only been working on this for 4 days in my spare time, and recently I've taken up a new Project(PROFESSIONAL ONE AS ITS MY JOB) and i'd like to complete this I always set out to finish everything i start, but i must admit it doesnt always turn out that way... I intend to finish this as I have am a long time pokemon lover even in my 20's I'm still a fan... Ok now im rambling, but my point is people please try to help... You may not believe it but even the smallest advice helps..

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
Years
I completely agree with you on the supporting thing and people posting. I'm having similar problems. x_X

Anyway, the plot seems decently unique, but there's a couple of typo's in it and certain words such as "and" are repeated creating run on sentences. And those can be hard to interpret. I also noticed you have a tendency of putting "herd" instead of "heard". You may want to correct those grammatical errors. And on the house error, the tile you're standing on is different on the houses displayed. The priority of one side of the roof is probably one while the other is still 0. If that's not the case then I'm not sure how to help you. Aside from that, the maps look nice. The towns are simple and not extneded all over the place like a lot of other games you see here on PC, which is good because they have a tendency of making it have too space when playing. Oh, and I forgot, but it's spelled "mysterious" and not "meysterious."

The features you have seem pretty unique, I was thinking about doing something similar to your item creation, except with bone fragments to make fossils. As for custom PokéBalls, why not make some that revolve around status ailments or weather effects. Those haven't been made yet.

And as for the player speaking, I put "no" but it's a very debatable subject. At times it seems stupid how all the NPC's are rambling on and all the character can say is "... ... ..." and somehow they know what that means. But adding speech can also take away from the person playing the game's experience. Like if you make the character speak, but they sound cocky, then more than likely the person playing the game won't catch certain Pokémon that seem to conflict with the character. Even if it's unintentional, they'll think about the person's personality traits and it would bias what PokéMon are used. But then again, there's always two ways to opt out of these scenarios. One is to only have the character speak when completely necessary, but use flat sentences. Such as "That's the trainer that took my Pachirisu." Or, you can have multiple choices for the what the character should say. Usually have four options and try to base them around the four basic temperments. (Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholic, Phlegmatic)

Does any of that help? x_X

KingCharizard

Years
I completely agree with you on the supporting thing and people posting. I'm having similar problems. x_X

Anyway, the plot seems decently unique, but there's a couple of typo's in it and certain words such as "and" are repeated creating run on sentences. And those can be hard to interpret. I also noticed you have a tendency of putting "herd" instead of "heard". You may want to correct those grammatical errors. And on the house error, the tile you're standing on is different on the houses displayed. The priority of one side of the roof is probably one while the other is still 0. If that's not the case then I'm not sure how to help you. Aside from that, the maps look nice. The towns are simple and not extneded all over the place like a lot of other games you see here on PC, which is good because they have a tendency of making it have too space when playing. Oh, and I forgot, but it's spelled "mysterious" and not "meysterious."

The features you have seem pretty unique, I was thinking about doing something similar to your item creation, except with bone fragments to make fossils. As for custom PokéBalls, why not make some that revolve around status ailments or weather effects. Those haven't been made yet.

And as for the player speaking, I put "no" but it's a very debatable subject. At times it seems stupid how all the NPC's are rambling on and all the character can say is "... ... ..." and somehow they know what that means. But adding speech can also take away from the person playing the game's experience. Like if you make the character speak, but they sound cocky, then more than likely the person playing the game won't catch certain Pokémon that seem to conflict with the character. Even if it's unintentional, they'll think about the person's personality traits and it would bias what PokéMon are used. But then again, there's always two ways to opt out of these scenarios. One is to only have the character speak when completely necessary, but use flat sentences. Such as "That's the trainer that took my Pachirisu." Or, you can have multiple choices for the what the character should say. Usually have four options and try to base them around the four basic temperments. (Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholic, Phlegmatic)

Does any of that help? x_X

Thanks for this i'll be sure to return the favor, and i know sometimes i make a few speling mistakes and grammar errors i just type fast and sometimes revert to what I like to call QT(Quick type) Which is making words shorter...

I dunno why but I love the word and, So I do over use it sometimes... I hadn't realized I spelled mysterious wrong... I Thought I had it right. I dont think i'll be using the item creation feature in this product anymore. I was Gonna go in the direction of TYPE Pokeballs, like a Fireball works well on fire pokemon but essentially can catch any pokemon but has a higher chance on fire pokemon...

As for the player speaking I was gonna add multiple choice answers but I think making the character Confident but also modest is the direction im gonna take kinda like ASH from the anime, mixed with an immature kid... But I was thinking of adding a feature which depending on they way you play your player acts accordingly for example, If you choose to ignore to help others when they ask for help your responses become arrogant, if you choose to always help your responses become like your a brown noser(if thats even a word) and if you choose to help some and ignore others your responses become normal your confident but not too cocky... I'm not sure how exactly i plan to do this but i know it will require i script an allignment system... but thanks your input has helped alot...

Shikamaru88

Back dont know if I will stay.
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2010
I love your game so far, No I dont have any Pokemon TR stuff left, and I dont care if you make your own TR game! Im Not returning after this. I just was waiting for a message and i got it so now im leaving, keep at it... maybe people will support your game eventually. cya

KingCharizard

Years
Thanks Im sorry that your leaving, but i guess its what you want... I Didnt want anyone to know i was gonna work on Team Rocket game after this one. but its out there! but lets focus on CALAMITY

Freak A

Back !!!
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2013
wow the story seems mature and kinda wht people should do in the world.

anyway out of politics i think you should be using custom OWs i mean the HGSS OWs are good but not great and people might like to see some new OWs too.

The Maps rock though where'd you the fog from

KingCharizard

Years
wow the story seems mature and kinda wht people should do in the world.

anyway out of politics i think you should be using custom OWs i mean the HGSS OWs are good but not great and people might like to see some new OWs too.

The Maps rock though where'd you the fog from

I Made the fog, Im not good at sprite creation and thanks for the input... Im trying hard my maps might get a makeover to improve them.

NARFA CITY UPDATED click here! TO CHECK IT OUT! I STILL DONT LIKE IT IM BETTER AT TOWNS AND SMALLER MAPS

Last edited:

Freak A

Back !!!
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2013
Umm narfa still doesn't quite look like a city. Keep one thing in mind when you make a city city's a are big places and towns and small places.

KingCharizard

Years
Thanks for the comment guys, After the holidays sometime in janurary I will be posting a huge update of new maps new features and bunch of other new stuff...

This game is Gonna have a whole makeover, Im working on a new GDD(Game Design Doc), right now... If you dont know what that is dont worry it doesn't matter. Just Be prepared for the UPDATE! Till then Merry Chirstmas, Happy Hanukka, Happy Kwanza and happy New Years To all.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
Years
I like to add everything I'm gonna be working on to a powerpoint for ease of access. XD (just comparing game making styles)

but anyway, i can't wait to see the updates. The maps look good. I found in nice how spooka Forest had the entrance picture. And for your tile problem, are you positive that both areas are using the exact same tileset? You might be using the Kyledove outdoor set, but you might have it in your database twice with different names. If you do, recheck both of them. Make sure the priority is set to one. Oh, and you need to connect the forest to the route, so you can see the entire gatehouse at all times, or do what they did in FRLG and make a new map with the same length/distance, with the other half of the gatehouses in the same position,and just add a lot of trees, so you can't see what's inside the trees. o.o On a sidenote, I actually like how the indoors is 3rd gen and the outdoors is 4th gen. It looks better than I expected.

KingCharizard

Years
Ok the update I promised is coming soon, It'll have a demo playable up to the first 3 towns and first 2 gyms...

Back