• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Ubuntu (Linux)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
I was thinking about switching my operating system to Ubuntu, but first I need a few questions answered.

1) Is Ubuntu good?

2) Can programs that run on Windows run on Ubuntu?

3) I heard about a program called W.I.N.E, that is said to run Windows programs. Does it really do that?

4) If I don't like Ubuntu can I uninstall it where I get Windows Vista back without having to buy an upgrade disk?

5) Any misc. stuff you want to tell me about Ubuntu?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
1) Is Ubuntu good?
It is an useful operating systems for techy/personal mixed people. But if you have no intention in programming or any sort of creation with computers then it's probably not worth it.

Nope. Ubuntu runs on commands and binary data. Windows runs on a bunch of random shtuff + its system dlls.

3) I heard about a program called W.I.N.E, that is said to run Windows programs. Does it really do that?
Yeah... if you are running "Hello World"s and all that other beginner tutorial crap. Good luck getting it to run any of your important applications efficiently.

4) If I don't like Ubuntu can I uninstall it where I get Windows Vista back without having to buy an upgrade disk?
In case you don't like it, make a seperate partition in the hard drive, and install it in that partition, if you don't like it, format it, delete, and re-extend your main windows partition.

If you are not programming, making web pages, or studying computer science, stay away from Linux. You'll be disappointed with limitations and difficulties.

And... that's my song on Ubuntu.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
1) Is Ubuntu good?
It is a great OS o3o I've used it across several computers.

Nope. Linux has a completely different way of running programs, just like Windows programs don't work on Mac.

I don't know much about WINE honestly. There are many unusable programs from what I've heard.

Um I would install it so you can dual boot. That way you still have Vista and can try out Ubuntu as well.

It's a good distro for beginners BUT it's still Linux and has a learning curve to it.

What programs did you want to use in Linux?

ps- I like linux a lot more than the poster above me. It's not just for developers. There are a WIDE range of programs for your enjoyment. A lot of open source alternatives to common programs you use on Windows :3

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
If your current system is working, there's no reason to switch. Linux is great and all, but why rock the status quo if there isn't a problem?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
If your current system is working, there's no reason to switch. Linux is great and all, but why rock the status quo if there isn't a problem?

Why switch anything if it works?

Because we are humans and if there is something better, we want it. :D

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
I guess right now I have Fedora on my netbook and essentially I just use it for Word Processing. Gamers are virtually nonexistent on linux :(

These people are making linux sound sucky though... it's not!

Years

The thing is, it's not necessarily better from the get go. I love Linux, but you really need to try it out on an old spare computer before you go mucking around with partitioning your HDD, etc.

Also, it's very difficult to go from a dual-boot back to single, so you need to be sure you want to do that. Another option is a Wubi install of Ubuntu, which installs Linux on a virtual partition under Windows. It still boots independantly of Windows, but it can be uninstalled through the Windows Control Panel. The downside is that you can't Hibernate or Standby on a Wubi install.

Depends on if your instructor knows how to teach or not. :( /has a crappy instructor
Um, wrong thread, maybe?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years

It's not better, just different. Every OS has its strengths and weaknesses. As always, it really depends on what you want to use your computer for. I prefer to have a dual-boot because there's a lot of Linux software that I like to use, but there's also a lot of Windows software that I like to use.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
Years
Ubuntu is great. I've run it before, but...my main gripe is the lack of good Windows emulators. But there are also guides that show you how to run Windows seamlessly inside of Linux. I'm going to agree with Archer, though, and say that you should probably try it on a different computer before doing anything drastic like removing Windows/repartitioning your hard drive, or by using Wubi. It's a big leap going from Windows to Linux, and you have to make sure you're prepared to do it before you go for it. :D

Zet

Years
If you're going to emulate Windows programs, just use Windows.

Though I've had a bad experience with ubuntu in the past. I couldn't get WINE to install.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
Years
I've had WINE work, but...something like Microsoft Office took over an hour to install, whereas on a PC, it only takes about 10-15 minutes. WINE is reliable, so long as you know how to use it and you're VERY patient. :laugh:

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
omg @_@

Use Linux for Linux. If you want Windows programs, for gods sakes, use Windows. Why do people think Ubuntu is no good unless they can run Windows programs on it?!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 15, 2023
In my experiences, Linux tends to require TLC, but once you get it working (i.e. figure out where everything is, get used to GNOME, find suitable replacements for your programs, Google endlessly as to why x component doesn't work and download drivers and dig up instructions on how to install something from the command line, etc.) it can be good. Only problem is, there are even less programs available for Linux than the other major OSes (Windows and OS X).

If you're really desperate, though, download VMware Player and install it in a virtual machine. If you like it, set up a dual-boot system and install it permanently. If not, delete the VM. It's that simple.

Misaka Shiori

Irresistibly Cute
Years
I use KUbuntu 9.10 on one of my other laptops with the help of rEFIt on my Macbook Pro (it's a very helpful bootloader that doesn't require you to hold down the option key to boot to another partition). If you going to use Ubuntu first time, I suggest using KUbuntu since it's rather easier to use than Gnome and have more apps built in.

Also, If you have a recent NVidia card, vdpau is very useful in H264 acceleration with mplayer, which is equivalent to CUDA and DXVA. However, Flash support isn't that great in Linux and it never was. This is the same case with Flash on Mac OS X.

Misaka Shiori

Irresistibly Cute
Years
Not necessarily; Flash runs rather well on my laptop (not so much my Hackintosh netbook, though...).

What type of computer are you going to run it on? If you're running it on a Mac, then rEFIt is a good bootloader, but if you're on a PC, Chameleon is the only way to go. It should be fully configurable under Linux.

I own several Macs (atleast 4 that is in current use and 2 for old programs), but the problem with Flash on Macs is that the unusually high CPU usage when I go to play Youtube videos, especially on the Mac mini G4 which the CPU hits 72% and also the infamous Flash Crash bug that Adobe haven't fixed for awhile, but eventually fixed because of bad publicity... This is the main reason I install Click2Flash which is a great plugin that allows you to click on the Flash object when you need it and play Youtube videos in H264 without Flash. Flash is on it's way out in the near future for video since browsers are already implementing the video tag in HTML5 allowing video be played without Flash in either H264 (Chrome and Webkit) and Ogg Theora (Supported in Firefox and Opera 10.5).

Not to mention, in some cases... Flash is the main cause of Browsers crashing, but that doesn't really happen on Snow Leopard because of plugin sandboxing with 64-bit Safari and other programs that is 64-bit and uses Webkit.

I don't know about Flash on Windows, but I'll check that later.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2012
Linux is awesome... I use it a lot. It is fully customizable to do whatever you want... But it has a learning curve. Also, if you want to run your Windows programs, I'd keep Windows installed and don't bother partitioning, just use an older computer to experiment with. As for gaming, there are ports of all of IDs games, and emulators for most consoles...

I use WINE for running Steam, and with the correct configuration it can run Windows programs as fast as Windows can. But this is only true for some programs. I wouldn't rely on it, but it's useful if you get it working.

Zet

Years
Linux is awesome... I use it a lot. It is fully customizable to do whatever you want... But it has a learning curve. Also, if you want to run your Windows programs, I'd keep Windows installed and don't bother partitioning, just use an older computer to experiment with. As for gaming, there are ports of all of IDs games, and emulators for most consoles...

I use WINE for running Steam, and with the correct configuration it can run Windows programs as fast as Windows can. But this is only true for some programs. I wouldn't rely on it, but it's useful if you get it working.

Unfortunately it is not fully customizable to do whatever we want it to do! I told to get me a glass of coca-cola in the console and yet I am still waiting to this day for said glass of coca-cola. But since you're using WINE to use some windows programs, why not just go back to windows and be a real user instead of having to rely on something that might work?

Back