• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Isocommunity City

Years
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity's...

The Isocommunity City

Logo to be edited, improved and changed in time!

Foreword

Welcome to PokéCommunity's Isocommunity City, or The Isocity, for short.
    The main goals of this project is to:
    • Make a crazy, exciting city that anyone and everyone can contribute to,
    • Learn a new style of pixel art yes, gasp,
    • And most of all, have fun!

The Tutorial

However to do that, we need a bit of a lesson on what exactly, and how exactly, isometric pixel art is and done. Call me lazy, but I think this tutorial should explain it all. I suggest doing everything that the tutorial explains in MS Paint before carrying on to get the feel of drawing Isometric Pixel Art. Eventually, it'll become second nature.
    For those of you that missed the link, please click here.

Still can't grasp it?

Then maybe Chibi Robo's post, here - https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6023392&postcount=33 - would be even more help?

The City

Here's the current version:
    Spoiler:

Claiming

Okay, to prevent confusion before it arises, the Isocommunity City will use a claiming system. Before you can start work on the city, you need to post he, saying you would like to claim a block, using it's reference number as a.... reference. The reference numbers are things like A1, G3 or D9. Once the Isocity mayor(s) (listed below) accept the claim, it will be written on the current version of the city who has claimed where. You can then take as much time as you like on that one square. Please note that if you go for a month without submitting anything, get banned (either temporarily or permanently) or leave PC for whatever reason, then your claim will become obselete, and the square shall become free. This is only to keep the flow of the project consistent and stop people from hogging spaces they most probably won't ever work on. NEW! You don't have to wait for your claim to be approved, just the work!

Works in Progress (WIPs)

If you want to submit your work before your time runs out, but haven't completed all of it, post it as a WIP. WIPs will not show up on the current version of the Isocity, and shall be replaced by a greyed-out square. Greyed-out squares are not claim-able.
    A list of the current WIPs are below:
    Spoiler:

The Rules

Or less bluntly, the guidelines. :D
    • Follow the PokéCommunity and Pixel Art/Projects Rules at all times, especially the four-word rule. It isn't a hard rule to follow.
    • Do not claim single-character squares (i.e. Square A or Square 4), or Square 00, until all of the double-character squares (Square F2, A6) are complete.
    • Additionally, mayors are the only people entitled to enlarge the city's space.
    • Try to not claim more than one square at a time unless you are 100% sure you can complete them all.
    • Be original. We don't want a town with big buildings and straight roads, do we?
      We want dragons and alien invasions and Escher-style illusions! Remember to keep it child friendly though!
    • Don't steal. Come on, it's basic, moral principles. When submitting work, make sure YOU made it.

Isocity Mayors

• Spherical Ice
    • Scarf

Support

Here's a userbar for you proud contributors to bolt to your signature, linking back to our wonderful town-in-progress:
    The Isocommunity City

and the code you'll need:
    [url="https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=227418"][IMG]https://i32.tinypic.com/8wyz5s.png[/IMG][/url]

Thanks to...

• www.pixeljoint.com Introducing me to isometric pixel art, and giving me the idea of an isocity (they have their own, too.). Various tutorials.
    • Chibi Robo Introducing me to PixelJoint where I was introduced to isometric pixel art... Also posting the two tutorials above.
    • www.pixelbath.com Amazing tutorial on isometric pixel art!
    • Scarf Approving the idea. \o/
    • All the contributors! Without you, PokéCommunity, this won't work!

Closing Word

I think that if you're confused you should check out PixelJoint's IsoCity for how it's done. Their layout is very similar to ours, and I think it would be a great help. Just make sure not to nab their stuff (No, seriously, don't.)!

Other things to check out:

So, as a wise man once said...
    LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

Ahem... Yeah.

Last edited:
    Years
  • are the sizes of our blocks the same size as the diagram you have up?
    The first post is as up-to-date as I can manage, so the grid there is the correct size, yes.

I'm pretty confident that I can do both, as I am almost done with the one I am already on. H8 is what I am reserving now!

One question, how do you become a mayor?
    Accepted.

To become mayor, you either have to contribute a lot, or get promoted by one of the other mayors, if they deem you capable (or whatever).

Back