• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Doesnt feel like home to me

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Now ever since unova was announced they said it was inspired by NY city . As a person who was born in Ny and lived in NY state my whole life i gotta say it doesnt seem like NY to me. I mean i know you have Castela city which is supposed to be like the city but it looks just like a regular city to me. Now the past regions were basesd on places in japan( the region in the game had the same shape as the real life region) now unova doesnt look anything remotly like anything in NY city. Now this is just my opinion. What do you guys think , did they portray NY the way you would of liked it ?

But to make things clear
    1. i know its only based on NY
    2. I didnt mean that i wanted a carbon copy of NY
    3. I think the team did an amazing job portraying a unique feel to a new region, and baseing off of NY i can see many similarites.
    4.I know the teams purpose wasnt to give me that feel like home feeling
    5. I know they use creative differences to make the game different from the actual place. It would be boring if they did
    6.I AM NOT COMPLAING ABOUT THE WAY IT LOOKS. I LOVE IT
    progress.gif

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well since I am a native New Yorker, I would have preferred they didn't do that, make it seem like New York. I mean, the way they did it was pretty amazing, but you know they had to stretch it out and stuff in order to make it seem like an adventure.

But I'm disappointed at no Donald Trump trainer. Gamefreak, shame on you.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • GameFreak did a good job of portraying Unova after New York, IMO. They even included Liberty Island as a reference to the Statue of Liberty.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • GameFreak did a good job of portraying Unova after New York, IMO. They even included Liberty Island as a reference to the Statue of Liberty.

And the United Tower after the United Nations.

Not that Castelia is a perfect replica--it could definitely be improved--but it was a good effort. I'm looking forward to seeing how they could improve it in the potential third version.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    well dont get me wrong unova is pretty awesome, but i think if the developers actually spent some time( or more if they did) in the city to get the feel and the look down. And they could of went thru the other boroughs for insperation on the other areas of unova. I know the pinwheel forest could be like central park but i would of ratherd a an actual park, nimbasa city is pretty good place to imatate coney island and the stadium. But i wished they expanded the citys to be like castela city with different streets and neigborhoods and junk like that

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years
  • Actually I don't have any idea how NY seems like... I've never been there in my whole life. (so far!) But indeed I think Unova seems more like a region. NY is more, a city. How could a desert be in a city? In my opinion, they could've better based Unova on a bigger part of America, not only NY. Indeed, they did a good job making Unova, since it's awesome ;)

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Tbh... I've never actually been the America (Yet ;D) but when I do NY is the first place on my list.

But anyway, I think your being to picky about how it looks, I mean come on! The developers wouldn't spend loads of time in NY just for a Pokemon game, it is kinda stupid, people complaining about things like this have to much time on their hands IMO.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Castelia City, and Unova were merely inspired by NYC and the US. With that in mind, they're not meant to be carbon copies of the real thing, how original would that be if they were? Creative freedom is key. They were never meant to make you "feel at home", just give you a new experience.

Yono

Creepin' and Crawlin'
    Years
  • I also note similarities between Castelia and New York, such as the few references made (United Tower, Liberty Island) and the amount of detail put into the area (Skyscrapers, bridges, back-alleys)

They're obviously not going to be exact, but I really feel it does a good job at being a representation. :)

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • Castelia City, and Unova were merely inspired by NYC and the US. With that in mind, they're not meant to be carbon copies of the real thing, how original would that be if they were? Creative freedom is key. They were never meant to make you "feel at home", just give you a new experience.

This.

Castelia city was more inspired by NY, not based on it.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Tbh... I've never actually been the America (Yet ;D) but when I do NY is the first place on my list.

But anyway, I think your being to picky about how it looks, I mean come on! The developers wouldn't spend loads of time in NY just for a Pokemon game, it is kinda stupid, people complaining about things like this have to much time on their hands IMO.
    Really? I had no idea that the developers wouldnt spend alot of time at the place they said inspired the region of what you call Just a pokemon game.

And pretty much anyone on this forum looking. posting . commenting on posts(cough cough YOU) has too much time on there hand

Castelia City, and Unova were merely inspired by NYC and the US. With that in mind, they're not meant to be carbon copies of the real thing, how original would that be if they were? Creative freedom is key. They were never meant to make you "feel at home", just give you a new experience.

Well the past regions kinda look like the place they were based on..i mean "inspired". Unova as a whole(look at the map) doesnt look like any land form in the U.S to me(i could be wrong)

Unova has been said to be significantly distant from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. Instead of being based on an area of Japan, Unova is based around the Manhattan area of New York City.
    This is from bulbapedia...so it wasnt just merely inspired it was based.
    But after reading your comments i decided to do some research and found a list of the citys in unova and what real like place they were inspired from...and even tho it doesnt make me feel at home, they did an awesome job considering these were japanese people who didnt spend much time in the city

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Ok so i think people are thinking im wanting unova to look exactly like NY city...THIS IS NOT THE CASE...i was only stating my opinion. This thread is for what you guys think about it and what do you think the developers miss out on or maybe could improved on. or maybe your just fine with it

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • The developers wouldn't spend loads of time in NY just for a Pokemon game, it is kinda stupid, people complaining about things like this have to much time on their hands IMO.

Actually, game developers quite often visit areas that they base their games off of and spend some time there in an attempt to actually capture the "feel" of a place in their game. (A notable example being The World Ends With You).

Now for my opinion on this:
    I haven't been to New York (I really want to though!), nor have I played Black and White. I have, however, seen quite a few screenshots and (some) videos from the game and it seems to me that the game does a very good job of capturing the "essence" and "feel" of America as a whole, both with the region and the Pokémon that live there. As far as I can tell, they did a good job.

Years
  • Actually, I think it's better they just captured the city feel of New York.

Since I've lived there for a while, the people tbh are pretty nasty. I think it's great they just captured Manhattan and it's surrounding area, thank God it wasn't Brooklyn...

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2015
    Hi I live in New York not the city but pretty close and ive been there many a time and i do think that they did a good job so just keep love in mind...

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Actually, I think it's better they just captured the city feel of New York.

Since I've lived there for a while, the people tbh are pretty nasty. I think it's great they just captured Manhattan and it's surrounding area, thank God it wasn't Brooklyn...

LOL i forgot about the people , yea good thing they didnt make it really feel like home people wise.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Castella is Hiun City right? I'm still on Japanese names.

Yeah if they captured NY exactly. they would have subways, and the subways would be very dirty. And the streets would be way more crowded. And there would be some rude and nasty people. Wouldn't make for a good game.

Back