• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would You Kill To Save A Life?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Yes I am spamming up OVP with threads right now.

Anyway, simple question, but one that has been left deliberately vague so that you can consider all the different situations and etc. Would you kill to save a life? If at all, under what circumstances? If not, why not?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Depends on the life. If it's someone dear to me, then I would. (I'm not saying it's right, it's just the choice I'd make.) If it's to save my life, I wouldn't kill anyone.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I don't think I would. I just couldn't kill someone or anyone, even if I didn't know them or to save my life.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    It depends who's life, and who's getting killed. But without going into details a simple no.

Unless it was someone like my family or a close friend, then someone's gonna bite the dust. >:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Everything is based on the circumstance. Who am I saving? Who am I killing? Is it worth it to me to get rid of one person for that other? Very generally, being put in a situation like that forces me to make a very difficult decision in likely a very short about of time. (yeah very very very w/e) It's... hard to balance choices like that, especially when they're weighing people you likely care about.

Without knowing the circumstances, I could never be able to tell you which I'd do because whatever I'd do depends on everything... but, I can tell you that it'd be an incredibly difficult decision for me to make. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, after all.

Years
    Absolutely not. I think killing in itself is immoral and I could never bring myself to take the life of one person just to save the life of another. However, I do understand that this kind of mindset could easily be lost in the spur of the moment when thrust into such a tragic situation, but I know I could never forgive myself if I compromised even one person as a result of that decision.

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
    Years
    It all depends. Two of the circumstances that would need to be taken into consider would be...

Who's life am I saving?
    Who's life am I ending?

To be honest though I wouldn't end a life to save another unless maybe it was someone close to me. If that hypothetical situation ever arisen then what I hope that would happen is that the two people in question would decide, if possible, who would sacrifice their life.

Years
    If it was my life on the line I would kill my opponent if I had to. The battlefield is filled with chaos and madness. Ideally, I would just knock out my opponent but caught up in the bloody conflict, I may accidentally send my enemy to hell.

If someone elses life was on the line, depending on who they are, I would go to a certain length to try and save them.

marcc5m

what
    Years
    It...it depends.
    Who am I kidding, now. I hate violence. I try to stay away from trouble at school so I don't get into any fights, even when people are nasty to me. Hell I'm too scared to kill a spider--perfectly normal since I'm scared of them--there's no chance I could kill another human being, no matter what.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Yeah, I would. If Buffy has taught me anything, it's that I'm a huge nerd sometimes sacrifices need to be made for the greater good. If I had to kill a bad person to save a good person, then I would absolutely do it.

If I had to kill someone to save my own life, I would have to be absolutely sure that I was worth it and that the other person was not.

Masqueraine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    To save a family member I'd kill anybody. Otherwise no not unless it was in a scenario like somebody was about to be murdered and I saved them.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2024
    I think I wouldn't.
    Maybe if it was for saving people I love, I would decide to kill other people. But the problem is I think I still simply can't kill people even if I want to.

Years
    Like many others, it'd all boil down to the circumstances around it.

On the whole, though, I think I would be very uncomfortable killing someone, even if it meant protecting a loved one. :/ I just can't see it in me to kill anyone, even the worst of monsters. And even if I could then, the guilt I'd feel after the act would eat me alive. I don't even think knowing that I saved someone would comfort me.

Years
    I would only consider it if it were a case where the person I'm hypothetically killing is going to be the cause of the other person needing their life saved. What I mean is, if I was killing a homicidal maniac to save someone they were about to kill then I would consider doing so.

If it was a case of something like two people who both need the same medicine to live and there's only enough for one I wouldn't because neither person would be trying to kill the other, only trying to stay alive. Of course that could potentially spiral into the first situation and then it gets really murky in terms of morality and ethics. D:

Basically, no unless I'm killing someone who is going to cause a needless death. Even then I don't think I have it in me to kill even in dire circumstances.

Years
    For those of you who think you would not be able to kill someone to preserve your own life. I have one word for you.

NAIVE.

It is human nature to protect your own life and to help those in need. Even I, Overlord of Darkness, am prone to these attributes. If you are ever in a situation where someone threatens your life, I promise you, that you will do everything you can to save yourself. You will either fight the enemy and go to any length to protect yourself or you will run as fast as you can to try and escape.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    For those of you who think you would not be able to kill someone to preserve your own life. I have one word for you.

Naive.

It is human nature to protect your own life and to help those in need. Even I, Overlord of Darkness, am prone to these attributes. If you are ever in a situation where someone threatens your life, I promise you, that you will do everything you can to save yourself. You will either fight the enemy and go to any length to protect yourself or you will run as fast as you can to try and escape.

That's not necessarily true for every individual. While self-preservation is indeed human nature, each person has their own levels of tolerance. If worst comes to worst and you have to kill someone to stay alive... well, it's a hard topic for most people because killing isn't something acceptable at any degree. What this question boils down to is "can you judge one life to deserve to live over another?" and some people have difficulty saying that they should be the one to live above all else.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    The one whom I would kill would save a beloved life. It would all depends who would I kill. Is he a wanted criminal? Or just a little threat?

Years
    That's not necessarily true for every individual. While self-preservation is indeed human nature, each person has their own levels of tolerance. If worst comes to worst and you have to kill someone to stay alive... well, it's a hard topic for most people because killing isn't something acceptable at any degree. What this question boils down to is "can you judge one life to deserve to live over another?" and some people have difficulty saying that they should be the one to live above all else.

I somewhat disagree with the bolded statement in your quote. Killing generally is unacceptable to the eyes of society but there are circumstances where it can be argued that it is necessary to kill someone. It can still be viewed as unacceptable but you seem to imply that one should never kill anyone, regardless of the circumstances.

If worst does come to worst and one is in the position where they must kill their opponent in order to survive, I absolutely guarantee you that they will. Without fail. It doesn't matter if that person thinks they are inferior to the other or whatever. In that one decisive live or die moment, one will always choose to live. Always.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    When I read this, I had a picture in my head of a murderer with a gun pointed at the person I care about most and me standing from a distance having to watch it. Yes, I imagine I would kill to save a life. I would also kill to save my own life if it came down to a life or death situation. From someone who believes human life is sacred, is it terrible of me to say that the life of a murderer is less of an importance to society than a hard working citizen who does their best to try to make people happy?

Back