• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Development Monthly [Now Recruiting]

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Game Development Monthly

The monthly Game Development Newsletter

Hey there guys, by permission of Cilerba I'm starting up a monthly newsletter for Game Development. But, I won't be doing this alone. This will be your opportunity to join in the fun and work with us on this. The newsletter will come in the form of a thread, to be posted in the Game Development forum each month. We will be having a number of sections within this letter for you guys to read through and enjoy after we have compiled the articles and got everything together. But not only do we wish to have a few people helping with the content, we're looking for opinions and suggestions as to what you think would be good in the letter and what you would potentially like to see. The sky's the limit so feel free to suggest anything you guys like.

What we need

Interviewers: 1 or 2 needed
    Reviewers: 1 or 2 needed
    Guide writers/Tips Writers: 2 needed
    Feature writer: 1 needed

Role of the Interviewers
    Each month, the interviewers will need to set up at least two interviews (though this depends on the number of interviewers we have). These interviewers will need to set up a number of questions to ask a certain member of the game development community. This is going to be an important role.
    Skills/characteristics required
    The interviewer will need to be able to ask good questions. They will need to be a chatty person and also be a good people person. The interviewer will be working in some live interviews at times so they need to be able to work on their feet in these respects. They will also need to have decent knowledge of how interviews work and also be quite good in the area of linguistics as phrasing a question with clarity is very important.

Role of the Reviewer
    Each month we will be having a member of game development review a game, tutorial, resource or something along those lines, from within the community. We should be having a number of reviews, usually about 2 or possibly more, therefore this will be an important role.
    The reviewer will need to be quite good with grammar and linguistics in general. They will need to know how reviews work and will need to have decent analytical skills so that they could do an accurate review.

Role of the Guide Writer/Tip Writers
    The guide and or tip writers would need to either write up guides for people to read, much like tutorials, relating to game development and/or make an article including tips and tricks that people may not know, which also must relate to game development.
    These writers must have very good knowledge of game development in certain areas such as scripting, eventing and it would also be good to know a lot about some of the programs such as RMXP. A lot of members use Pokémon Essentials so it would also be of benefit to the writer to know a lot about it also. They must also need to be able to write with clarity and coherence for these tutorials and guides.

Role of the Feature Writer
    It is the Feature Writer's job to write about and feature a game or two each month. It will be the job of the feature writer to write about an anticipated game with decent prospects with clear and obvious forms of quality and progress. It will be a positive declaration as to why people may wish to take interest in the certain game or games.
    Here it will actually be good to be bias and have the ability to pick out all the finest points of a game and prove that it is worthy of being featured for that month. They will also need to be good with linguistics and have the ability to write an interesting article about a game.

Application Form

Firstly, I would like to note that all applications will go through a streaming process and the members will be chosen by myself and Cilerba. Not all positions will be filled, as we will have guest appearances as well as myself and Cilerba will be working on the letter. So to apply, please fill out the application below.

Just apply within the thread
    Code:
    [PLAIN][B]What position are you applying for?[/B]
    [B]Will you be available to work on the newsletter each month?[/B]
    [B]What is your experience in Game Development?[/B]
    [B]Why do you wish to join the newsletter?[/B]
    [B]Timezone:[/B]
    [B]Preferred method of contact:[/B][/PLAIN]
    Closing Notes

The newsletter will have a more favorable layout than this thread if anyone was concerned! At any rate, we're looking for suggestions and ideas as to what we can add to the thread as stated above so we'd love to hear your opinions. Anyway, hopefully we can get this running in the next few weeks as we get out newsletter staff together and start on the content. I will be working on the content as well as doing the editing while Cilerba will be supervising and contributing also.

Thanks guys! I look forward to your input.

Last edited:
    Years
  • What position are you applying for?
    Role of the Reviewer

Will you be available to work on the newsletter each month?
    I will indeed

What is your experience in Game Development?
    Well, I have just finished a University degree in Games Technology and passed with a high 2:1. The course was a mixture of programming, 3D design and post production. Programming languages included C++ and C#, 3D design included use of Maya and post production was After Effects, Sony Vagus and Premiere Pro.
    I know no one will have seen me in this section before, but that doesn't change the fact that what I have been doing and the contents of this board hold the same elements that are imperative to be successful; I believe I have those elements in what I have been doing.

Why do you wish to join the newsletter?
    It will be a fun thing to take part in and it is a love of mine to write reviews, as I do some currently; these can be supplied on request.

Timezone:
    GMT (UK)

Preferred method of contact:
    MSN, PM, VM or email if you really want.​

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Awesome, I hope this takes off; loved the old game dev weekly(?), though monthly makes more sense.

I've got a bit on my plate right now, so I won't be applying, but I wish you the best.

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years

Guide Writer / Tip Writer

Yes

While my experience with RMXP is limited, I have used Game Maker for 6 years. Although it is a lesser used program here at PC, it has a lot of untapped potential for game development. I want to introduce people to using it with simplistic guides which will illustrate its use in both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related contexts.

Additionally, I can provide tips / advice in more universal areas of Game Development as well.

I want to join because I want to try and highlight to the community that RMXP is not the only tool available for use. I also want to encourage game development of projects which aren't Pokemon fan-games.

Timezone: GMT.

Here, MSN or DeviantArt (you have me on all 3 lol).

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years

Reviewer.

Yes.

Currently making Pokemon Pyrite. I am the head musician of Stormcross Studios, which is an indie game development group headed by Crazyninjaguy. I am also the admin of the site, PlanetDev, which is a Game Development forum. I have been using the RPG Maker franchise since the release of RPG Maker 95. I've been making games and music since 1999.

I wish to aid the community and get the news across to my fellow members.

Timezone:

PST

Email or Yahoo Messenger (If I'm online, I prefer this method (but please tell me who you are when asking for a friend request so I know you aren't just a spammer)).

Years
  • Will the content be Pokécommunity-restricted? Or can reviewers and writers write and review about games outside of the forums as well?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Will the content be Pokécommunity-restricted? Or can reviewers and writers write and review about games outside of the forums as well?
    I reckon it is most relevant to be PC restricted. Involving other forums or sites complicates matters. But we will make exceptions, which will be subjective matters which the writers may discuss with myself and/or Cilerba if they wish to do something along those lines.

Even though I say it is most relevant to be PC restricted, it is still a possibility for the writers to discuss games from other areas.

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
    Years
  • What position are you applying for? Feature Writer
    Will you be available to work on the newsletter each month? I'll be available every month ;)
    What is your experience in Game Development? I make rom hacks since 2 years now (or almost 2 years)
    Why do you wish to join the newsletter? it looks like a nice thing to do, and I'd like to help :)
    Timezone: GMT +1 (Holland)
    Preferred method of contact: PM here, MSN, Skype, ICQ (If you want my MSN, skype or ICQ, just send me a PM here ;))

Greets,
    mr.Alpha

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    VERY good! This can improves a lot this section. Don't let this idea to die!
    The only thing that is missing in this section now is game competitions.

Ces soirees-la

Hello, Hello
    Years
    Feature Writer
    Unless under outstanding circumstances, yes.
    I have a medium level of experience in Game Dev, but am quite proficient in
    acquiring new knowledge.

I would like to experience writing for an online newsletter, to shake things up, as apposed to my former job of writing for the school newsletter.
    Timezone: GMT +10
    Preferred method of contact: MSN

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    My suggestions on some possible subjects:
    -Game of the month
    -Updates of the active/popular games in the showcase section.
    -Resource of the month (For example, Tile of the month, Sprite of the month etcetera).
    -Monthly tutorials
    -New resources
    -Promising games in the Drawing Board section

I, personally, think the tutorials and the resources will be a great addition, since I feel like PC has to few activity in their sections.

Back