• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] [Vote] Community

Should we get a new forum section?

• Yes, new forum section

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • No, the idea is horrible

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
  • Should Pokemon Essentials get its own forum section? Well there has been some talk and it seems like a few of us want essentials to have its own forum section.

Pros:
    - More clean and organized.
    - Searching for things will become a lot more easier
    - It is going to be a section just for developers using RMXP
    - A lot more clear to tell the difference between Emulation and RMXP development
    -etc...

Con:
    -More bandwidth space.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • Stop taking my secret documents and making threads about them. I'll leave this open though, to get some thoughts on it.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
    Years
  • Well seeing as how all of the information about Essentials right now is unorganized anyway, a new board would be kind of...redundant? Even if you made a new board, all of the original information in the megatopic would still be unorganized. And all that we would end up with would be a whole new board filled with individual topics asking for help about it. Plus like you said it eats more bandwidth.

/donates 2 cents.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Well I just wanted to see what the community actually wanted, you know with voting, but it is not my decision to allow what Maruno, and others want in making a whole new forum section.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • It wouldn't eat much bandwidth would it, all you would be doing is moving any potential threads to a essentials section. Only a matter of modifiying some sql entries.

Seems like a good idea- aslong as the showcase and beginners showcase are left as it is(ie: not split up into rmxp and non-rmxp).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    It wouldn't eat much bandwidth would it, all you would be doing is moving any potential threads to a essentials section. Only a matter of modifiying some sql entries.

Seems like a good idea- aslong as the showcases aren't split.

Agreed. Not to mention that most fangames here are geared towards essentials, and it would add a clear path for newcomers to post their helps and wants in regards to the starter kit.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I voted "No, the idea is horrible" because I feel it will just split up the community. I think there is only 2 possibilities that will come of it.

What might happen is:
    1: It will split the community so that some members ONLY check that section. It will soon be filled with various help threads and most likely- most issues will already have been solved. New users won't know this and post a thread any ways.

And/Or..

2: It will become neglected very quickly with most members just in the showcase sections. It will become another confusing forum for new users.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I voted yes, because I think it would help how Essentials is developed as well as providing a clear and visible place for anything Essentials-related. It also provides more space to work with, which I for one would try to use.

Since Essentials is a large part of the Game Dev section (for better or worse), it doesn't make much sense to confine it to just two daunting threads. For the kit's development to carry on, I think it needs more room, which is why I was initially thinking about a whole separate forum for Essentials (but that's probably a step too far and would definitely split the community).

Well seeing as how all of the information about Essentials right now is unorganized anyway, a new board would be kind of...redundant? Even if you made a new board, all of the original information in the megatopic would still be unorganized. And all that we would end up with would be a whole new board filled with individual topics asking for help about it. Plus like you said it eats more bandwidth.

/donates 2 cents.
    What information? You mean answers to questions, many of which are redundant or even just wrong now?

Yes, I see the new section having individual threads for different questions. No, I don't see it being any different to having one megathread, where people don't read through that either before unwittingly repeating an already-asked question. In fact, it would be slightly better as a sub-section, because you can see at a glance the last couple of dozen threads made (and thus the last so-many questions asked), whereas in a megathread it's hard to single out the questions from the answers/natter, so it's a bit easier to find related questions in the sub-section.

Ideally any useful information in the megathread would eventually be copied into the wiki, but that's very much a huge undertaking. Besides, I think many questions are either about too specific a situation to warrant documenting, or just have an answer of "read the wiki", so maybe there's not too much information being "lost". The megathread will still be there, though.

And as I've said, it's not just about where the information is; it's about how it is presented. Two large threads isn't pleasant to look at.

One last point is that there wouldn't just be question threads. I want to get some other things going too, like discussions on aspects of the kit (to help with development).

I voted "No, the idea is horrible" because I feel it will just split up the community. I think there is only 2 possibilities that will come of it.

What might happen is:
    1: It will split the community so that some members ONLY check that section. It will soon be filled with various help threads and most likely- most issues will already have been solved. New users won't know this and post a thread any ways.

And/Or..

2: It will become neglected very quickly with most members just in the showcase sections. It will become another confusing forum for new users.
    I didn't consider the effect it might have on splitting the community. I just saw the practical sides of it. I think one way to reduce this splitting effect is to keep the Essentials sub-section alongside the Showcase and other sub-sections, so people would at least have to pass through the Game Development main section when going between one and the other.

I suppose if it becomes a problem, it's just encouragement for the Game Dev main section to become more interesting. Newsletters, competitions, general game dev discussion can all go in there. Perhaps the Beginner's Lounge can even be scrapped and its content put in the main section. There are ways to keep the public interest.

I don't think it would lose interest as per your second scenario, though. It would be at least as active as the megathreads are now (people will always ask questions), and even more active once a few extra things are put in there.

I think Essentials and the Showcase are two separate things that can't be compared. We need both, in some form (the Showcase should obviously be a sub-section, and I've explained above why I think Essentials should be too). People who aren't interested in the Showcase won't go in there anyway even now, and likewise for the Essentials thread. I don't really see a shift in "allegiance" happening here.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Yeah it certainly has it's plus points and it's negative points that's for sure.
    Even though I did vote no, I think the best thing to do is do a trial run. Have the forum created and see how the community reacts. It will be easy to remove it if the community goes against it.

Again - I worry about the confusion it might cause new members.
    Speaking as someone who hasn't been here in a long time, I didn't understand the differences between Beginner's Lounge and Beginner's Showcase at first. I was like "So is the Lounge section for spam or something?" cause that's what it seems like right. Just looking at the type of threads, the views and replies it kinda seems that way.

I feel The Showcase and this potential new section might cause the same confusion. Even if it's not allowed, I can see new threads on games showing up in the new Essentials section and other little "niggles" popping up.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • If Essentials gets its own sub forum, i think the beginners lounge should be removed.... What the point of it anyways. I however voted no, because the only benifit i can see it have is more direct answers to questions, however it will divide the community but then again doesnt the showcase kinda do that anyways... I just think essentials it fine how it is. with the wiki and a thread whats the point of a sub forum. we just need to work on the wiki a bit more... then the sub forum would be redundant.

oh welcome back Neo it has been awhile...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I don't see why people are arguing that it will kill the community factor. There isn't much of a community factor in Game Development. If anything, it will start to bring essentials users together a bit more, and 90% of the games on PC use it.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    With over three quarters of the votes being "Yes", I'd say this needs to be done.

It also means I'd finally be able to get this next release out. Seriously, the more I think "I need to stop and call it done", the more I end up doing on it instead. I want to take my mind off it for a while!

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Not sure why we need a week long discussion for this as it should of had its own section from the start.

The thread itself is like half of the forum posts! The question is, why has everyone waited this long? Just make a subsection for it.

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Simple fact. I voted "yes".

This talk of it splitting the community up is ridiculous, as the community as a whole is really being overshadowed by the tons of essentials users - It literally is to the point where the game development community and the essentials community should be separate.

Also, the essentials thread has a horribly out of date first post. Just throwing that out there.

Additionally, people are talking about tons of useless help threads spawning... How is that so much different from what's going on now? The essentials thread 381 pages for me, and has over 9000 posts to shuffle through. How the heck would I ever know if my questions been asked before? I can search, and cycle through pages of dead ends only to find that it was either never asked, or asked and never answered, or maybe even answered in another random post that was completely swallowed by the wall of other posts that were unrelated, because the search function isn't perfect, some questions just don't have clear keywords you could use. Compared that to just skimming through a list of threads that are literally the questions, and see if anything looks like what I want, and once I find it, just click a link and find what I was looking for. Which would YOU rather do? Have an easy way to find what you were were looking for, or run a bunch of searches only to find potentially unreliable results.

With that said, I think it would be best to have a subsection IN the essentials forum specifically for archiving answered questions.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • I originally voted no, but after reading the other peoples posts and checking out how the Pokémon essentials stuff and forum as a whole is laid out (which I haven't done for ages) I'm actually in favour of it.

It'd be simple, you just delete every thread in the Beginner's Lounge and rename it Pokémon essentials. I would argue that as it is now, the Beginner's Lounge is entirely pointless. 90% of the threads are locked or could easily be in the Help and Resources section. The questions thread has nine posts in quarter a year so obviously isn't needed (at least in its current form) and the two other stickys, again, could be in Help and Resources.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I've a question. It is related to this section in question as I feel it would help it out a bit.
    Remember this is mind before replying to me- it's been nearly a year since I've been around these parts so forgive me if it's obvious....

Is there a wiki page for Essentials? And if so is it currently still supported by someone?
    I think this would greatly reduce newbie related posts. It should have a topic about it pinned in the new section.
    Code snippets on the wiki would be amazing for someone new or a tutorial on "getting started" with examples on how to set up some basic things.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • It'd be simple, you just delete every thread in the Beginner's Lounge and rename it Pokémon essentials.

... what.

I've a question. It is related to this section in question as I feel it would help it out a bit.
    Remember this is mind before replying to me- it's been nearly a year since I've been around these parts so forgive me if it's obvious....

Is there a wiki page for Essentials? And if so is it currently still supported by someone?
    I think this would greatly reduce newbie related posts. It should have a topic about it pinned in the new section.
    Code snippets on the wiki would be amazing for someone new or a tutorial on "getting started" with examples on how to set up some basic things.

Sure is. Maruno's mainly in charge of it, but members around the community occasionally contribute towards it. (or at least that's how I remember it. Not sure if it's changed or not.)

And trust me man, it does not stop those kinds of posts.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years

• ... what.
    Well obviously it makes no sense when you remove my entire argument and just include that bit. If you look at the topics in the beginners lounge, they're either locked, should be in the team recruitment thread, should be in the essetials help thread, or could be in the Help and Resource centre. You should be replying to my post saying why it isn't a good idea, instead of just making it look like it's so unthinkable you're lost for words. Frankly I'd rather have past mod Neo-Dragon's opinion on this, at least I know he'd be thorough and not belittling.

Back