• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

C&M Advent Calendar

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
~The Culture & Media Advent Calendar~

Welcome to the C&M Advent Calendar. Many members will be waking up each day to open a window on their advent calendar. Some will be purely secular - and just for the chocolate! - whereas some will have a religious element to them. I thought it'd be a good idea, and a potential activity boost, to incorporate the principle of an advent calendar here in C&M (whilst combining it with the spirit of the last 'big' event: the 30 Day Song Challenge).

Every day, I'll post a new topic for people to talk about related to Frosty the Snowman and culture and media, and you can choose to answer it. Unlike the 30DSC, however, you won't be able to cheat and look ahead at the next day's topic. I'll be revealing each one every day, up until December 24, so keep checking back at this thread for more Christmas goodness. People can pop in and out if they wish, but please try and stay on what the current day is. Just have a look around at similar posts and post accordingly.

I'll probably be posting new days at around 8-9am my time (UTC-0), so check out this thread after that to see what the next day's topic is. The backlog of topics will also be posted here so that everyone can have a look if they so wish.

---

Dec 1: Favourite Christmas themed song?
Dec 2: Favourite Christmas themed film?
Dec 3: Favourite Christmas themed TV episode?
Dec 4: Favourite Christmas themed book?
Dec 5: Favourite Christmas carol?
Dec 6: That Christmas song you ALWAYS hear on the radio
Dec 7: Favourite Christmas food?
Dec 8: Favourite Christmas sporting tradition?
Dec 9: Least favourite Christmas food?
Dec 10: Favourite Christmas family tradition?
Dec 11: Best Christmas present ever? (Related to C&M ideally)
Dec 12: Worst Christmas present ever? (Ideally related to C&M)
Dec 13: Least favourite Christmas family tradition?
Dec 14: What about Christmas do you wish could stay for the whole year?
Dec 15: Least favourite sporting tradition?
Dec 16: What do you wish about Christmas would just WITHER AND DIE?
Dec 17: Least favourite Christmas themed song?
Dec 18: Least favourite Christmas themed film?
Dec 19: Least favourite Christmas themed TV episode?
Dec 20: Least favourite Christmas carol?
Dec 21: Non-Christmas piece of entertainment that makes you think of Christmas
Dec 22: Favourite Christmas themed TV commercial?
Dec 23: Least favourite Christmas themed TV commercial
Dec 24: Favourite Christmas memory

---

And with that, we're off!

Dec 1: Favourite Christmas themed song?

Mine is the classic 'All I Want for Christmas is You' by Mariah Carey. I love the melody, the rhythm, the jollyness... pretty much everything about it! It's wild, melismatic to the max, and oh-so-Christmassy. Here's a clip:

Last edited:
Years
Oh, this is a clever idea. I only wish I liked Christmas enough to be able to answer the first question. (Actually, that's a lie. I don't wish I liked Christmas more than I do). Oh, wait. I thought of a song.

Dec 1: Favourite Christmas themed song

Kissing the Christmas Killer

I love subverting Christmas. It's quite a nice song - soft and dreamy like freshly fallen snow - and then you listen to the lyrics and it gets creepy.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I have two favorite Christmas songs. One is All I Want For Christmas is You, and the other...

I know it's not about Christmas per se but it's a great winter song and I loooove it.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I AM WITH MR CAT DOG 100% ON THIS ONE
ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS MY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONG AND ALWAYS WILL BE
ALL HAIL MARIAH CAREY

But, in the sense of providing something different to the table, another one I particularly enjoy is Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Normally these'll go up slightly earlier, but to stagger people into this, here's December 2's entry:

Dec 2: Favourite Christmas-themed film?

For me, it has to be the one-and-only Muppet Christmas Carol. One of the most faithful adaptations to the book, and also one of the funniest, it features great performances by the Muppets (and Michael Caine as Scrooge) while also being accessible and watchable by people of any age. I'm not sure if I've watched a more unifying film.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I have two favourite Christmas films, and they are both my equal favourites because of one common factor: they are set during Christmas, but are not about Christmas. I often find that Christmas movies are hard to take because they're so cheesy and delve into far too many Christmas cliches - wacky family, over-done Christmas light displays, 'surviving the holidays', etc... but these two movies, as far as I can see, submit to none of those. They're movies about love, which of course means they will succumb to a whole different set of tropes, but they're incredibly charming (and I'd even go so far as to say moving) regardless.

These films are Love Actually (2003) and The Holiday (2006).

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Idk if this counts but The Year Without a Santa Claus is my favorite. Not exactly a movie but you can tell by my theme that I love it so much. :3

Years
The-Nightmare-Before-Christmas-nightmare-before-christmas-227704_1024_768_large.jpg

This is a bit of a cop-out since it's more of a Halloween movie than a Christmas movie, but I love it so. And of course the movie I'm talking about is The Nightmare Before Christmas, which is still as good as when I first saw it.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
My personal favorites are It's a Wonderful Life (1946) with James Stewart and Donna Reed and The Nightmare before Christmas (1993). Although I agree with Scarf that T.N.B.C is more of a Halloween movie, I still watch it every Christmas, lol.
I'm not impartial to watching any crappy Christmas tie-in's to Shrek or Scooby Doo at Christmas time though, they're always fun to watch and they satisfy the child in me~

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
The December 3rd question hasn't been posted yet! I'm still safe for postings favourite movies...

For me, A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation. Laugh-out-loud at both of them. Every single time.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
TheGrinch.jpg

I loved this film when I was younger and still do. It shows that Christmas can bring out the best in everyone, even the Grinch. I also love the song and am constantly singing it around this time of year. My litle sister still loves this movie and I always watch it with her.​

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Blinkey Bill's Christmas in Australia! Actually there's a few others I like but I can't really think of them right now. :( I really loved that one though BECAUSE AUSTRALIA. And uhh the fact that it had a nice theme song :3;

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Ack! The wonders of sleeping in have meant a delay in these posting! Bad mod, I know...

Dec 3: Favourite Christmas themed TV episode?

This one's actually fairly recent. Entitled 'Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas', this episode of Community has Abed imagine that everyone has become stop-motion animated. Instead of going along with it, his friends have him psychologically tested, but discover the true meaning of Christmas along the way. So, so good!

(Sorry for the delay, again.)

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Oh wow! This one I honestly cannot answer. I watch so much TV and there have been so many Christmas episodes of all of my shows over the years that just sing Christmassy feelings at me. It's literally impossible to choose one.

I will take this opportunity to talk about one of the most recent instances though. Season 2 of The Big Bang Theory had a Christmas episode "The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis" which I really love. The final scene of that episode was the show at its funniest and it was honestly one of the most rewarding sitcom experiences I've had for a long while.

Years
Dec. 3: Favorite Christmas themed TV episode?
The only Christmas-related thing on TV I've really liked is the classic Peanuts special, A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Hmm, I'm stumped on this one. I personally don't have a favorite out of them, but the Simpsons Christmas episodes are always pleasing to watch.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
My favourite Christmas themed TV episode would probably be "False Positive" from How I Met Your Mother where it's Christmas and Ted makes that awesome ginger bread house as a Christmas themed snack for the screening of "It's A Wonderful Life" and all the characters decided it's finally time to do something meaningful in their life.

Back