• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question]Pokemon Battle system

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    I'm current making a pokemon mmo style game for fun in game maker 8 and i would like to know how the battle system works in detail(Official pokemon battle system)

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • This page helped me out immensely for my engine.

Otherwise:
    Trainers have max of 6 pokemon
    Each pokemon has max of 4 moves
    Every turn, each pokemon currently active uses one move ( deducts one PP )
    If a move has 0 pp, it can not be used.
    Double Battles:
    Two teams of 1 trainer with two pokemon out at once, or two trainers with one pokemon out at once.
    Wild Battles can have pokeballs used
    Trainer battles can not.
    PVP can not use items. ( Hold items still work, however ).

I think that about covers it. :P

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013

Otherwise:
    Trainers have max of 6 pokemon
    Each pokemon has max of 4 moves
    Every turn, each pokemon currently active uses one move ( deducts one PP )
    If a move has 0 pp, it can not be used.
    Double Battles:
    Two teams of 1 trainer with two pokemon out at once, or two trainers with one pokemon out at once.
    Wild Battles can have pokeballs used
    Trainer battles can not.
    PVP can not use items. ( Hold items still work, however ).

I think that about covers it. :P

Thanks it really helped, and do you know what the Square root of EV in this picture means?
    h t tp : //bulbapedia . bulbagarden . net/wiki/File:HP_calc . png
    (Remove spaces)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thanks it really helped, and do you know what the Square root of EV in this picture means?
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:HP_calc.png
    (Remove spaces)
    EVs work a lot differently in Gens 1 and 2 (which is what this equation is for). In those games, EVs can go up to 65535 each, and the entirely of the base stats of a defeated Pokémon are gained as EVs (rather than adding 1/2/3 as in later games). Because of the way it works, each stat's EVs need to be square-rooted in order for them to provide a reasonable boost to the Pokémon's stats.

I would ignore that equation if I were you, since it's only for the old games.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    EVs work a lot differently in Gens 1 and 2 (which is what this equation is for). In those games, EVs can go up to 65535 each, and the entirely of the base stats of a defeated Pokémon are gained as EVs (rather than adding 1/2/3 as in later games). Because of the way it works, each stat's EVs need to be square-rooted in order for them to provide a reasonable boost to the Pokémon's stats.

I would ignore that equation if I were you, since it's only for the old games.

Yea I kept reading on and found the newer ones, and found out what EV's are xD

Back