• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new screen resolution options?

Years
    • Age 64
    • Seen Jul 28, 2015
    Me and a few others are making a game in essentials, and though I'm not one of the people working with scripting or coding or whatever, there's a certain feature I really want that I want to know if it's possible.

I want to be able to have a setting where the player can select multiples of the native resolution by two to scale up to with no interpolation.

IE: every 1 pixel becomes a 1x1 square of 4 pixels, and so on. Is that possible to do?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • Essentials already does this, with the two available options being 32x32 pixel tiles and 16x16 pixel tiles (1x and 0.5x zoom respectively). Of course it's possible.

I really couldn't say what might happen if you use a 2x zoom option, though. It's up to you to try out.

Years
    • Age 64
    • Seen Jul 28, 2015
    Essentials already does this, with the two available options being 32x32 pixel tiles and 16x16 pixel tiles (1x and 0.5x zoom respectively). Of course it's possible.

I really couldn't say what might happen if you use a 2x zoom option, though. It's up to you to try out.

Well, what'd I'd like is for the player to be able to choose any resolution that's a mutiple of the native.

IE: 256, 512, 1024, 2048, and so on.

If one of you knows how to implement that, I can relay that info to one of our coding people.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • My advice is to look at the existing system, and see if you can expand on it. Given you're just fishing for solutions rather than having tried doing something yourself first, that's all I'm saying.

Years
    • Age 64
    • Seen Jul 28, 2015
    My advice is to look at the existing system, and see if you can expand on it. Given you're just fishing for solutions rather than having tried doing something yourself first, that's all I'm saying.

Well, as I said: I don't know a thing about how RPG maker or essentials works beyond making the maps, and even then I only do the layout, I don't do any event stuff

Our very few coding/scripting/actual makes the game working people are really busy just trying to get everything running, this isn't even a feature they have time to look into, let alone make a thread here for it.

I was hoping it would be something one of you guys knew how to do and that could be explained or have the script/code to do it sent to me so I could pass it on to the people who can actually make sense of it or implement it, that way they wouldn't have to take the time out of the making the game just playable.

But thanks nontheless, your wording makes it seem like you know it to be possible, so that alone makes me making the thread worth it in my eyes.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    In PokemonOptions script section, after line 'screensize2=_INTL("{1}x{2}",DEFAULTSCREENWIDTH,DEFAULTSCREENHEIGHT)' add line 'screensize3=_INTL("{1}x{2}",DEFAULTSCREENWIDTH*2,DEFAULTSCREENHEIGHT*2)'. Change line 'EnumOption.new(_INTL("Screen Size"),[screensize1,screensize2],' to 'EnumOption.new(_INTL("Screen Size"),[screensize1,screensize2,screensize3],'. Change line 'pbSetResizeFactor([0.5,1.0][value])' to 'pbSetResizeFactor([0.5,1.0,2.0][value])'.

Maruno, how about putting this change (using EnumOption2) at default Essentials?

Back