• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Retro Gaming

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I know there was an older thread for this but it's been dead for a while and it was classified as a club. So. Here we go.

A lot of times people don't appreciate and don't even know about older game systems and older games in general. And I'm not talking about PSX (though that still counts), I'm talking taking it all the way back to the 70's and 80's. After an extensive talk with my stepfather today he pulled out his old Intellivision console which I had to admit wasn't the best but one of the games he had for it was actually interesting enough to keep me occupied for the couple of hours it took to figure out the controller and beat it.

So, that being said, here we go to start appreciating the lost generations of gaming.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm surprised this thread didn't get replies!

It's really interesting how retro gaming connects generations - I loved Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time as a kid, and it never occurred to me that my mother at one point may have played games. I found out years later that she had been obsessed with the original LoZ, but couldn't play OoT because the perspective made her nauseous. Then we got to bond over the shared memories of playing as Link.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I'm really sad I wasn't gamer in my younger years...
    We apparently even had Atari and I did not even use it...

And many people may have it same... that's why there wasn't any reply yet.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Growing up I had an Intellivision, Atari 2600, and NES. Eventually, I don't quite know when it happened, but by the time I was 10 I had my first little 'gaming room.' I had a little TV dedicated to my NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube. We've had lots of Nintendo consoles over the years~

I don't remember many Atari games -- pretty much just Pitfall comes to mind. But everyone knows that, even people who haven't played it. =p
    A Link To The Past is my favorite LoZ ever, and probably my favorite SNES game period.

The Guardian Legend is the best NES game. Well, my favorite. I spent the most time on my NES, it had all my childhood favorites. Have I mentioned that the NES was my favorite? :3
    I had a lot of really neat, silly titles that most people I encounter aren't familiar with, though. Not many big titles outside of Mario games and the original LoZ.
    Kid Klown in Night Mayor Town is probably a close second favorite. I also loved the Lolo games, Solstice, Whomp 'Em, Gauntlet, Big Nose the Caveman, The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy.. omg, there were just so many that I played into the ground until I was like 9 or 10 and finally moved on to the N64 LoZ games. {XD}

Salamence62

you're gonna hear me rawr :3
    Years
    super mario 64, LoZ OoT, mario kart 64, super smash bros 64.

yeah, all of them were for the nintendo 64, one of my favorite consoles of all time. <3 they were really entertaining when i was a kid and where the only games i knew and played, plus all of my siblings tagged along.

i remember being a wee girl when my brother was playing OoT i was snuggling up on the couch, hugging my knee's and eating a daddy-long-legs. Cx

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I actually love video game history for this reason. There's so much more to video gaming past than what most people seem to know off the top of their heads, like Nintendo and Atari. There's Intellevision, Colecovision, those old Commodore computers, Vic 20, tons of things. It's super fun learning about them. How they worked, how they were marketed, whether they flopped or failed, etc.

As for actual gaming and not the history itself, I tend to stick to games of the past. Not too far in the past, but generally I play games made between 1996-2008. I suppose I got fixated there because I missed a lot of great games for the N64, PS2, and GBA when growing up since I didn't have a job to pay for my own stuff then. I really should work on my SNES and NES libraries, though. They're both pretty barren. First I'd have to take myself away from N64 though...which probably won't happen soon haha.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    I would love to get my hands on a Neo Geo system if I ever got the chance, but those go around $1000 now and the games themselves are pretty expensive. Metal Slug especially, considering that was a classic on the system. I know that there are other and inexpensive ways to accessibly play Neo Game games, but as a video game collector like myself it would be amazing if I could get a system like that.

Besides the point, I've actually gone back to my old SNES and NES. I'm too torn in which next generation console to buy, so I've currently gone to eBay and been getting games that I missed as a child and playing them for the first time. Super Metroid, Castlevania IV, and Chrono Trigger are all games that I've been able to play as of late, and I'm loving every minute of them. And I definitely agree with Oryx about being able to connect with generations over gaming - my dad had recently told us how he was a master as the old NES Punch Out game and showed that he still had the moves by beating Mr. Dream in front of our very eyes. It's cool being able to share gaming experiences with your parents, as sometimes we forget that they themselves might have played video games when they were kids.

Back