• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Map Warps to Black Screen

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2014
I'm not really new to mapping so I was a little surprised when I was testing out a map I made and one of the warps led to a black screen. I tried to fix it any way I could, I deleted and remade the warps, I used a different map for where the warp leads, I changed the tiles the building was made out of, I changed the location of the warp/doorway, everything. All the warps work in Advance Map so I have no idea what is going on. Help?

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
There are warps, for instance doors, that doesn't just have ONE warp, it in fact have three warps, around it(one at the entrace, and two beside it). Try to look around and see how warps are defined on the tile you placed it on. If it's a script which warps you, check your script and make sure that it follows this format:

warp 0x[mapbank] 0x[map number] 0xFF 0x[X Position] 0x[Y Position]

FF tells you that you are warping to a specific spot.

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2014
I'm not using a script for it, just the events tab in Advance Map.
And I had thought the same thing, so I directly emulated how the doorway was used in Fire Red on both sides of the warps to make sure I was doing it correctly. It's exactly the same.

It's weird because all the other warps worked on the map, so I switched the non working one with a working one, and the one the initially didn't work on the problem doorway works on the other doorway, and the one I switched to the problem doorway doesn't.

Like I said, frustrating. Maybe I can post the .ipa and someone could check it out to see if I made an idiotic mistake?

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
I'm not using a script for it, just the events tab in Advance Map.
And I had thought the same thing, so I directly emulated how the doorway was used in Fire Red on both sides of the warps to make sure I was doing it correctly. It's exactly the same.

It's weird because all the other warps worked on the map, so I switched the non working one with a working one, and the one the initially didn't work on the problem doorway works on the other doorway, and the one I switched to the problem doorway doesn't.

Like I said, frustrating. Maybe I can post the .ipa and someone could check it out to see if I made an idiotic mistake?

Did you make sure that all three warps for the doorway, are linked to the same warp? Also check if the warp you are going to, is connected to the middle warp, not the ones on the side. There could be a number of problems, like i said before, your warps may be simply not linked. Also if it's a doorway outside or something, make sure that there is a layer of black tiles, beaneath the map and that the movement permissions for the whole row is 0, or unpassible(obstacle). Also make sure that the entrace leading out, has all 3 tiles with the movement permission C.

Hope that helps :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2014
Yeah, I checked all that and it's all set up right, It's just so annoying.

I'm uploading the .ips to see if anyone wants to try to puzzle it out, it's warp 2 on map 3.0 to warp 1 on map 41.1

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
I tested it out in AdvanceMap and I know exactly what your problem is.

You don't actually need to have three warps for every doorway. It will work just fine without that. If anything, it just makes for more work because you have to direct three warps to one map, instead of having a 1:1 ratio.

You also don't have to have a black space underneath the doorway. That has no effect on it either.

I will illustrate your problem with a couple screenshots.

ScreenShot2014-07-23at112426AM_zpscd271ea7.png

This is what came up when I loaded the map in AdvanceMap. This is why it goes black when you enter it. It has nothing to do with the warps and everything to do with the offset of the map itself.

To change this, you'll need to replace the map with itself. I recommend using 1.92 for this, because 1.95 always exploded in my face when I did it.

To make sure it's all good, go to the professional header mode. Just go to settings and make sure "professional header" is checked. Then look at the section that looks like this

ScreenShot2014-07-23at112413AM_zpsea65c256.png

Then, you'll need to look at the map footer offset. If it ends with a 0, 4, 8 or C, then you're good to go. If not, try replacing it again.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2014
Thanks a ton! Although, since I hadn't found any other resources on the web I figured it couldn't be fixed and started over... Whatever, it was only one town anyway!
Thanks again!
J

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
At least you know that for the future. It will probably pop up again. Another thing to look out for is the unknown number of the warp. If you use Advance Map 1.92 you can see what it is when you look at the side bar with the warp information. If it's anything other than 00, it might do something weird (at least in my experience)

Years

You don't actually need to have three warps for every doorway. It will work just fine without that. If anything, it just makes for more work because you have to direct three warps to one map, instead of having a 1:1 ratio.

You also don't have to have a black space underneath the doorway. That has no effect on it either.

This is what came up when I loaded the map in AdvanceMap. This is why it goes black when you enter it. It has nothing to do with the warps and everything to do with the offset of the map itself.

To change this, you'll need to replace the map with itself. I recommend using 1.92 for this, because 1.95 always exploded in my face when I did it.

To make sure it's all good, go to the professional header mode. Just go to settings and make sure "professional header" is checked. Then look at the section that looks like this

Then, you'll need to look at the map footer offset. If it ends with a 0, 4, 8 or C, then you're good to go. If not, try replacing it again.

I just noticed you are still active even though this thread is old. I wanted to ask what you mean by "replacing the map with itself?". Sorry if it bothers you, but I need to know. Thanks again.

EDIT: Never mind. I got it. THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday

HELLO THERE
sorry if i jump in after this much time but i am having this issue and tried to use your help but...it seems i have everything in check

now, my issue is a little different because the map turning black isn't a new map i created with warps i created but it's a map already existing that i did not touch in any way (nor i touched anything inside it)
it's the 3rd floor of the celadon market, all the other floors works perfectly but if i try to acces the 3rd (either from the elevator or from both the stairs up or down) i get the black screen
i checked all the data you said but everything is ok since...you know...it's the basic map from the basic game...i tried to change the unknown to 00 instead of the original 03 just to try but nothing happened

any idea?

Back