• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Egg Hatching Issues

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
  • I'm having an odd issue with hatching eggs on my hacked Fire Red ROM. When I get the egg, the summary screens displays the "It will take a while to hatch" message correctly. However, after a certain number of egg cycles (the exact amount I am not sure of. Sometimes it's after one, but sometimes it's after more) it will somehow switch to the "It will take a long time to hatch" message that appears when there are more than 41 egg cycles to hatch the egg.

And the egg never leaves this state even after an hour of riding my bike in the same area, on 1000% speed.

I've tried this with multiple Pokemon, all of which have a hatch speed of 20 or less egg cycles, and I've also been able to successfully hatch eggs on this ROM before.

This is a link to a patch of an earlier version that doesn't have this problem.
    This is a link to a patch of the most recent version of the hack that does have the egg problem.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem, or knows where the data on Fire Red involving hatching eggs and egg cycles are, it would help me out a lot.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I'm having an odd issue with hatching eggs on my hacked Fire Red ROM. When I get the egg, the summary screens displays the "It will take a while to hatch" message correctly. However, after a certain number of egg cycles (the exact amount I am not sure of. Sometimes it's after one, but sometimes it's after more) it will somehow switch to the "It will take a long time to hatch" message that appears when there are more than 41 egg cycles to hatch the egg.

And the egg never leaves this state even after an hour of riding my bike in the same area, on 1000% speed.

I've tried this with multiple Pokemon, all of which have a hatch speed of 20 or less egg cycles, and I've also been able to successfully hatch eggs on this ROM before.

This is a link to a patch of the most recent version of the hack that does have the egg problem.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem, or knows where the data on Fire Red involving hatching eggs and egg cycles are, it would help me out a lot.
    I didn't apply your patch, but I think the literal subtraction occurs at 0x08046390. Compare your two roms and make sure that the bytes from 0x080462C4 through 0x080463B7 are the same. Did you try to change something with the egg cycles or daycare egg generation and make a hook somewhere around there? If you didn't, it seems odd that it would have changed.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I don't remember doing any modifications involving the daycare or breeding.

A while back I had an issue where the game would crash after a Pokemon used a damaging attack. It started after July 18th, the date of the working patch, just like the egg issue. I eventually ended up fixing it by replacing some bytes using a clean FireRed ROM, which is how I originally tried to remedy this issue. It didn't work, however, so I got a little bit desparate.

Maybe those two things are related? I'm not sure what caused the first corruption either though.

What happened when I recently tested it with a Marill egg was it started out with "It should hatch soon" and then after one egg cycle it turns to "It's almost ready to hatch!" and then after one more it goes to "it will take a long time to hatch."

*Sigh* Sometimes it feels like this ROM is falling apart. I'll try a couple more things, but I really don't want to have to go all the way back to the July 18th version. There's got to be a way to fix this, even if it's not obvious what the solution is.

EDIT: I managed to fix it by copying the first 50000 bytes of the messed up ROM into a clean ROM, and then patching it out. Odd how replacing bytes through a patch worked but not manually.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm having an odd issue with hatching eggs on my hacked Fire Red ROM. When I get the egg, the summary screens displays the "It will take a while to hatch" message correctly. However, after a certain number of egg cycles (the exact amount I am not sure of. Sometimes it's after one, but sometimes it's after more) it will somehow switch to the "It will take a long time to hatch" message that appears when there are more than 41 egg cycles to hatch the egg.

Did you expand your Pokédex using Gen III Hacking Suite? If so, I just fixed the same bug.

Go to x46204 and subtract 1 from the byte there. If it's a 10, for example, make it 0F. Do the same at x462A8 (it should be the same byte).

I realise you've already fixed the bug by bruteforcing it, but yeah, I think the reason it was happening is because G3HS incorrectly repointed the pointers to the egg cycle part of the base stat structure. In case anybody in the future has this problem!

Back