• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can Ash ever become the Pokemon League Champion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
  • Okay, Ash has won a Pokemon Championship - The Orange League. Two if you count the Battle Frontier victory as well. But technically, neither of them fall under the "Pokemon League" category.

So does anyone believe Ash will actually become a Pokemon League Champion one day?

Pika Pika :chu:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Of course it won't happen. As long as the anime is going to continue, Ash will not win a league. Unless they replace him with another character, which is also quite unlikely, if you ask me. And honestly, Orange Islands and Battle Frontier were only created to "buy time" for both the Johto and Sinnoh regions respectively, so that's why they existed in the first place.

Years
  • Like mentioned above, Ash will be on an endless main League losing streak because he is central to the anime and removing him will mean a new character will have to replace him. It's never going to happen.

Years
  • I'd like to see Ash become the League Champion and be replaced with a female protagonist in a new anime that's closer in style to the Adventures manga/Pokemon Origins special and have him cameo in that a couple times a year..but it won't happen for all the reasons everyone has already said.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • As said already, Ash winning a Pokemon League would signal the end of the anime or having to bring in a new protagonist. I really doubt they will ever bring in a new protagonist as they have invested too much into Ash I think to drop him. They would be more likely to do the first option once it no longer makes sense for them to continue the anime and other related things, and finally concluding Ash's journey with a League championship.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    It is very less likely Ash going to be league champion, that's why orange and battle frontier are the only exception for him to reach high peaks. The series will need to be rewritten if Ash wins and everything will be a huge overhaul

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • How about just let win the Pokemon League & introduce a new Main Character as his Rival!

Hmm, on second thoughts, that might be a bit risky, coz people have gotten used to Ash being the "Hero" of the Anime.

Pika Pika :chu:

Nagi-chan

I make videos on Youtube about Pokémon and other a
    Years
  • This is actually really hard to answer. It´s probably as many think: as long as the producers want Ash to keep going in the series, he will lose over and over again, so that they can make him continue his travels and promote this never-give-up-scheme. Honestly though, it´s really stupid, because with time it becomes really unbelievable if we think about the epic battles he actually won against some of his best rivals. Also, just because you win once doesn´t mean you stop, but I don´t now, maybe they have a different mindset and think like "yay I won. Now I will stop travelling because there´s is no further reason to", but honestly who would do that if it´s still fun? Still, if Ash ever wins, this will probably mean that we will get either a different MC or the story ends because he will have served his prupose (at least according to his writers or else he would have won long before already). Either way, I hope he does win in the end because he deserves it.

Years
  • It is very less likely Ash going to be league champion, that's why orange and battle frontier are the only exception for him to reach high peaks. The series will need to be rewritten if Ash wins and everything will be a huge overhaul

Orange Islands was written as an anime-exclusive saga to hold off the Johto saga until Gold & Silver came out, and Battle Frontier probably held off Sinnoh until Diamond & Pearl were out. Ash winning these two leagues and not any official league was reasonable - the writers only allow him to win any league that's not an official region league.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • If you watch all the anime; you'll notice that Ash has a number of Near-Wins in a few leagues. This is obviously a clear sign of writers tampering with the natural flow of the story to keep Ash running.

In all rights; Ash should have won each and every league he's challenged. Ash winning need not end his travels or his dreams. A good writer would make something even more interesting come of it. Mountains of shame should be piled on them for stretching Ash along this far. However there is also a distinct refusal to let Ash "grow" much either; because they're pandering to kids. This is another disservice they're doing to the natural story; especially since each region does have their own "beginning" trainers that join Ash on his Journey.

In that way Ash has become somewhat of a "Senior Trainer" who's job it is to assist the Pokemon Professors in their work and accompany new trainers and Leaders in their journeys. In that way; arguably you could already call Ash a Pokemon Master in his own right; he travels around to each region and ends up schooling the newest generation of Leaders and Trainers as he does so, while collecting badges, tackling the Leagues, helping the professors and, constantly punting Team Rocket out of the way...or whatever other evil team is being troublesome. Just because he doesn't win battles always at Gym and League levels doesn't mean he's a bad trainer. Ash himself has been fit to run his own Gym since the end of his first adventure.

If you do forgive the fact that the writers keep forcing Ash's skills back to below average with each generation; and nerfing Pikachu too, you begin to see the pattern of excellence when you tabulate his accomplishments after accommodating for the blatant tinkering the writers have done to keep Ash pandering to their ideal audience. In my opinion; Ash could probably step in for ANY Gym Leader ANYWHERE should the need arise. In the anime he often does find himself stepping in for said Leaders; or assisting them against those who misuse Pokemon. He's also assisted the local Officer Jenny countless times in his travels, and I believe he's also assisted Looker too. He's resolved countless crises involving Legendary Pokemon as well; maybe not as cleanly as one might wish; but in a way that shows utmost respect and care for Pokemon in general...which is what a trainer should have.

All in all there's plenty going on for Ash; and perhaps the writers feel a win would make him too cocky. That's not a message they want to send.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    At this rate, considering the horrible ratings, box office receipts, and even merchandising sales, I doubt the writers will have much of an option but to have Ash win the league this time around, if only so they can retire Ash at the very least. Besides, not all shows that market a series have to exist to ensure the franchise continues to exist. Just look at Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Mega Man. Those had TV shows that dealt with marketing them early into those franchises' runs, yet last I checked, they still continued on even AFTER the shows had long been cancelled.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Ash might just win Kalos....
    Yes you read right Ash might just win the league but not against the champion making him renowned and the fight with the champion may make him understand his only weakness of not making a perfect Pokemon team. Ash has had his chances with catching the strongest Pokemons like lucario(riolu), dragonite(dratini\dragonair), and even salamance(salamance) and many more. But didn't try.
    But in Kalos as you can see things seem to get very rough with Team Flare,Alain and mostly due to Mega Evolution. And so I can say that if Ash doesn't wake up he will not win even upto the semis. But so has his nature changed in this region he has been able to evolve most of his pokemon to max and caught 2 dragon types Noibat and Goomy which evolved into Goodra and lives in the swamp on the way to Lumiose city. Although it may seem that he left it might just get him back because Clemont lives in Lumiose so Ash going there and meeting up with Goodra is likely.
    Now if you see in this season the writers have made a huge change and give Ash special abilities no one else has the Greninja special evolution, might signify the changes coming to the Ash story pattern due to fans now feeling a bit down seeing Ash.
    In the last season they thought lets restart but failed and so brought back Charizard and showed that it ain't worth it. And so the have made a region Kalos where Ash's story is like Sinnoh but better Ash. And inspired by the first generation. In the Indigo league Ash lost only because his charizard didn't listen to him otherwise he would have won. But please remember these are only my thoughts and observation not something official but this is the most likely region Kalos to register a win but lose ahead and at the end catching pokemons stronger than before like in Unova this time something like a lucario or get back goodra.?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back