• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other OPEN] Etherium: Life and Manna (T)

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022

Etherium

Etherium: Life and Manna (T)

Spoiler:

Welcome to Etherium

You are a Child of Manna born of the very elements of Etherium, bound together by something only known to you as Manna. You have no knowledge of how or why you were born, but something urges you to find out. While it appears that no other sentient life exists on Etherium, the remains of some form of civilization before you exists spread across the planet. They have discovered great technologies, but appear to have disappeared without a trace from the planet.

However, despite its beauty, Etherium is not entirely a peaceful planet. Dangerous wildlife stalks prey in most environments. Great storms and other natural disasters rage across the land. Even the cities built by the previous sentients isn't safe, as many of their machines remain active despite the loss of their masters. Perhaps most dangerous of all, unknown creatures appear to be hunting you down. Appearing to have been formed from the shadows in a way similar to you, they appear to desire the Manna that holds you together.

But the answers must lie out in the world somewhere, and the secrets to Manna with it. With them you may be able to find out the secrets to what you are, and possibly make Etherium a real home.

As a Child of Manna, your very existence is tied to your Core; the large chunk of gem at the center of your body. Protection of your gem is paramount, if it is forcibly removed from the rest of your body you will cease existing until the Core can gather enough of your original material to form a new body (a process which could take weeks to months). Even worse, if the Core is destroyed then you cease existing for good. Protecting your Core is more than just a good idea, it's your base instinct.

The other threat to your well being is running out of Manna. Manna is the very life energy of Etherium, and what nourishes and keeps you alive. If someone were to drain all the Manna from you, the Core would cease to function. You exists by burning Manna as energy, and your Core store an excess in addition to the amounts you bring in from your surroundings. If you run into a situation where your core reaches an extremely low level of Manna you may be pulled into a state of limited consciousness similar to sleep in organics. During this state your body is pulled into an immobile ball shape until the core can recharge its Manna supply. Having to actually enter this state is rare, however, and only the result of very strenuous activity.

As for your physical body it has various abilities and limitations. Your shape is pliable, although you will likely have a default form you return to. You can stretch your body so long as the core is completely covered by body substance. You can also take in more substance for your body, but a larger body burns Manna at a faster rate, and a large enough body actually burns it faster than you can take it in. Finally, you can expend Manna to change edit your bodily material in some way: for example Fire burns hotter, Water begins to freeze, Air cycles faster, and Stone can shape itself. Each form does come with it's own downfalls, however. Not every form is suitable for every role, for example a Stone form can better manipulate the environment than an Air form, but the Air form can more easily surmount a cliff than the Stone form. Each form also has its own weakness to a specific Thief form, which will be covered later.

Unity

Perhaps the most unique power the Children of Manna have is the ability to merge multiple bodies into one temporarily and create an unique form. The Cores of all those emerged are kept in the center of the combined form, and Manna is pulled equally from them. This gives strength exponentially greater than an individual entity, but the more merged beings also drains energy at an equal rate. Unity is a very Manna intensive ability, and when used improperly can cause more harm than staying individual.

The body material of a United form is dependent on those involved in the merge. Multiple different forms creates a new body type: Fire merging with Stone can create a Molten form. Multiple of the same form amplified the form greatly: two Wind forms creates a Gale form. Forms can change drastically in cases of 3+ unity, so be creative with it.

The Thieves

The Thieves are an entity similar to the Children of Manna, but get their power from an energy source other than Manna. The cores of the Thieves are pitch black stones which radiate an unknown energy. Thieves seek to consume Manna to satisfy their endless thirst, and consider Children of Manna to be prime prey. Thief forms are made out of what remains of the previous inhabitants, and each form is both strong and weak to specific Children of Manna forms.

Ash Form: Strong against Fire, weak to Water
    Sludge Form: Strong against Water, weak to Air
    Smoke Form: Strong against Air, weak to Stone
    Metal Form: Strong against Stone, weak to Fire

Thieves lack Unity, but individual entities differ in strength based on the size of their core. They appear to be unable to adjust their size very much, but the strongest among them are as strong as Children of Manna in their merged state.

Gameplay and Other Rules

This RP has an emphasis on player-player interaction. Each chapter will have a few areas to explore, each with a specific mission for that region. There will be less regions than players to hopefully encourage interaction, but each mission is more of a backdrop to RP off of rather than a binding objective. However, some chapters may be story/mystery heavy with a less sandbox.

Unity requires all player's consensus and should be a single post (for all intents and purposes it becomes one character the players agree on for actions). Please don't bunny people into Unity or take control of the merge all by yourself.

Etherium is not Earth, it is a world alien to Earth. Life may be similar in several ways, but entirely different in others. Be creative, your characters are just as new to the world as you are, and you can get creative with the wildlife or flora of the world.

The Children of Manna have a proto-language that isn't as advanced as the languages we have today. It can express emotion and simple action and concepts, but not tell a story. Be creative in your interactions, and you can always monologue internally to get a little more in-depth than motions and the speech capable of the Children. (For fluff sake their vocalizations sound like chirps and energy crackles, mostly tonal)

Please try to be active. I know schedules change and everything, but please alert me if you're going to be absent for an extended period of time.

I'm only planning on about 7-8 slots, just to keep this RP somewhat small and interaction focused.

Don't be afraid to PM me with any questions or concerns

Rated T, just for potential fight scenes and to potentially dive into a little more mature topics (but not M mature)

Oh yeah, and GM is god (but you already know that)

SU and Accepted Characters

SU
    Spoiler:

Accepted Characters
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ech

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    This was posted yesterday. How in the world did I miss this?! I blame Disclosed

Also, you are my new best friend and so I will give birth to your babies. Seriously, thank you for adopting my idea! And you even decided to incorporate the non-verbal communication mechanic in spite of how unorthodox it may be for others!! I commend you. (Please, let everyone show interest in this!)

I will definitely try and get an application sometime! It would be very stupid for me not to do so.

I do have one question though. Since Manna is essentially the very essence that fuels our characters and their abilities, how exactly do they replenish it? I can only assume Manna is to be harvested from certain sources like food, but I just wanted to know if you had any specific means.

Years
  • This sounds really cool! I'd like to join, I'll get an application together tonight once I have a nice block of free time.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I do have one question though. Since Manna is essentially the very essence that fuels our characters and their abilities, how exactly do they replenish it? I can only assume Manna is to be harvested from certain sources like food, but I just wanted to know if you had any specific means.

Thanks, I read over your adoption post basically the day after you made it and went back and forth on the idea a lot, how I could hopefully flesh it out while still keeping true to the original idea. I did have to make a few choices about changes, namely merging the ideas of exploring a world alien to us and a previous civilization along with hopefully shifting the genre more to a mystery one than raw survival, but I did want to keep it close. I also really liked the non-verbal idea, but decided to compromise a little by making it more like how an animal communicates over a true non-vocal species.

Other than that and in regards to your question, I did want to keep Manna itself as one of the mysteries to explore in the RP, and as such I am hesitant about actually revealing too much about it. But I will say that Manna is strangely present in almost all life on Etherium, and even exists within the very air of the planet. Although it isn't the largest amount possible, players can consist off of atmospheric Manna pretty much indefinitely. It's also worth nothing that certain areas are more Manna dense than others. Outside of a situation like a very drawn out combat, Manna shortage shouldn't be a problem in the initial, Manna rich areas the players are born into. And this is all knowledge that would be instinctual in the characters.

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018

Ah, thanks for clarifying on the nature of Manna.

I will definitively join this, but before I work on anything, I want to wait until more people post their own applications just so I can get a better sense of the cast.

I'm not sure if this is just me, but this thread is currently marked as "booked" rather than currently accepting new players. Though I can't say if that's affecting people's interest on checking out the RP and joining, I still wanted to let you know just in case.

Years
  • Since everyone seems to be waiting for an SU, here's mine.

Name: Krystal (Krys for short)

Form: Stone

Appearance:
    Spoiler:

Krys's base form resembles a bipedal reptile with a long tail and gangly limbs. Purple crystals sprout from his back, chin, and tail, with a yellow gem in the center of his chest.

Personality: Krystal is like a child: inquisitive, optimistic, and always hungry. He isn't very intelligent, and never shows emotion, his face a blank slate. Due to his size and toughness, he doesn't often feel pain, so he doesn't often get scared or even take things seriously. He thinks life is a puzzle, and it makes him happy to figure things out, to piece them together, even if it doesn't show. Of course, if anything did hurt or frighten him, it would rouse his temper, and awaken the slumbering fury buried in him. His tantrums are legendary in magnitude, but thankfully short lived.

RP Sample: Krystal remembered darkness. At first, that was all there was. But soon, he heard sounds, faintly, all around him. The rumble of the earth, the whispers of the wind, the distant roaring of water and the rare crackling of fire. He heard them all, and understood none of it. He wanted to see them, to touch and taste them. He wanted more...

Eventually, he became aware of his surroundings. He could feel the cold stone, could smell the stale air. He could feel himself, could slowly move himself. And then he opened his eyes, and he could see. He was in a cave, surrounded by beautiful crystals and glimmering gems. He enjoyed looking at them, and enjoyed eating them even more. He moved slowly at first, but with time and practice he got used to his body and proved surprisingly agile. He moved nimbly through the small tunnels and crevices linking his cave to others, always stopping to look, to touch, to taste.

One day, he found a tunnel that went up. He followed it, and emerged in a cave unlike any other he had seen before. The ceiling was blue, and the air moved and smelled sweet. He followed the smell to a field of flowers, which were soft, and smelled so nice, and the taste! It was unlike anything he'd ever experienced, and he wanted more! This cave was big, so big he couldn't see the walls, and he was determined to explore all of it.

Back