• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen how did we even play this

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    how did we even play this

Sorry for the shitty quality. Pics found by Team Fail somewhere in twitterspace. Reflections?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I just had no idea about any of this hahaha. Except for the critical hit thing and that a pokemon could skip learning moves if they leveled up too fast. I learned that the hard way...

I do look at them as fun facts~!

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
    I had nothing but the best of times while playing my pre-owned Blue when I was like five! Sure the game is glitchy as hell, but without it we wouldn't have the ever-improving and evolving series we have now! Some of my best memories playing Pokémon are me trying to catch an Abra and screaming and howling in the car on the way to a theme park with my family looking at me like I was crazy, hahaha.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It was... pretty painful playing through Red since Crystal was my first game. Even Game Freak understands the games are full of glitches. And they weren't even Game Freak's first games! They had made nine other games before Red and Green. Nine!

I'm glad so many people had fun with them and I'm glad they grew into the powerhouse franchise the series is today. But they're really overrated and haven't aged particularly well on top of that... The games have definitely gotten much better in terms of playability with each new installment, which is something I'm thankful for.

Last edited:
    Years
    Not having to recharge after KOing with a Hyper Beam was one of my main strategies, though! Still, the rest of the list just shows that just like most franchises, Pokemon definitely had some growing pains in its early releases. Still, it doesn't make it any easier to go back and play the old games, as fond as our memories of them were, haha.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm gonna see how many of these I can trigger on my next playthrough!!
    Please let us know how it went XDD

I am thoroughly enjoying the 1st gen games still. At least Yellow, haha. I never knew of these glitches and didn't really think of them when I played. Except for those I mentioned before.

They were functioning games, just a bit messy in ways. Many games are, after all.

Guest123_x1

As much as I've always loved playing the Generation I games, I've known for several years now that they are a huge technical mess. (MissingNo permanently damaging your existing Hall of Fame entries upon every encounter, need I say more?) Quite shocking for all those "Genwunners" to see that the OP's "Problems with Gen I" picture has been greatly expanded since first seeing the original version a few years ago.

Never mind, though, that there are a couple of things being brought up as problems that I don't necessarily agree are problems, such as Disable disabling a randomly-selected move, and Swift being able to hit opponents in the middle of a semi-invulnerable move.

I can imagine that we probably wouldn't even be seeing this expanded edition of the "Problems with Gen I" infographic if it weren't for these classic games being re-released to the 3DS Virtual Console seven months ago as part of #Pokémon20.

Back