Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!

TrollandToad.com

Old November 17th, 2016 (6:32 PM). Edited 6 Days Ago by Crystal Noel.
RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter

Nature: Quirky

This game acts as a third act in the Pokémon Colosseum/XD sub-series of games. This project idea is a complete reimagining of an old project of mine that kinda died a little while back using RPG Maker VX Ace. I've now decided I want to bring it back using Pokémon Essentials 16 using Luka's Elite Battle. Credit for the idea goes to PhantomBima.

A stranger plot is afoot in the Fodna Region. The criminal syndicate Cipher has re-emerged after 9 years of inactivity. This time, they've got a new trick up their sleeve, a weaponized version of Pokérus, which transforms any infected Pokémon into Shadow Pokémon. In addition, Cipher is seeking out the mysterious Order Fragments, shards of a strange cube connected to the Pokémon Zygarde.
    You're job as the player is to set out and explore the Fodna Region capturing Shadow Pokémon from Cipher members as well as helping find the 8 Order Fragments.

Protaganists:
    Spoiler:
    Player:
    A young man/woman from Kuipa Town in the outreaches of the Fodna Region. A shy and reserved individual he/she is initially hesitant in choosing to depart on a journey and is initially indecisive about what to do. It is not until his/her first encounter with Cipher where he/she chooses to join the Pokémon Rangers and save the Fodna Region from the threat of Cipher. He/she always seems to be holding something inside, refusing to reveal it to anybody.

Julia/Caesar:
    The childhood friend of the protaganist, Julia/Caesar is everything the hero is not. A confident and decisive person who already has her/his goals set out. While the player is busy saving the Fodna Region,
    she/he is busy training in attempts to become the strongest trainer in Fodna. As a result she/he will constantly challenge the player thoughout his/her journey to track her/his progress.

Blake:
    An aspiring Pokémon Ranger, Blake is a kind and tenderhearted boy with a lot of energy and passion for nature and for what's right and good. He is always looking out for his friends and won't hesitate to charge into battle to do the right thing, even if it gets him into trouble. Sometimes however, that recklessness can get others into trouble as well.

Aria:
    A young upper-class woman who is has grown tired of living the life of the social elite and seeks more adventure in life. Her desire is to explore the Fodna Region to learn as much as she can about the world and the people who inhabit it.

Professor Cedric Juniper:
    A professor of Pokémon distribution and biology, Juniper is the Uncle of the protagonist and the brother of the player's late father. He has spent the last couple years going back and forth between Fodna and Unova in order to keep and watchful eye on the player. He is always there to tell the player about his/her current location when called.

Professor Oak:
    The world famous Professor Oak from Kanto is visiting the Fodna Region to collaborate on some research with Professor Juniper. Upon arrival, he thanks the player by giving him/her a Pokédex for his/her journey. Throughout the journey will, offer special rewards to the player for catching Pokémona and filling the pages of the Pokédex.

Eldes:
    A regional leader for the Pokémon Rangers, Eldes seeks to make the world a better place, as a means to atone for a prior crime, or so he says. He plays a major role in assisting the player defeat Cipher for reasons that he refuses to share.

N:
    Once the King of Team Plasma, N has now since left the organization following the revelation of it's corruptions and a newfound awareness to the bond between people and Pokémon. His mission statement is to find and rescue Pokémon who are being abused by their trainers. In addition, he encourages the player to catch and purify every single Shadow Pokémon to ease their suffering.

Colress:
    A scientist studying the potential of Pokémon, Colress seeks to discover the nature of Shadow Pokémon as well as the power of Z-Move and Mega Evolution. He will assist the player when necessary and will occasionally employ his/her help to further his/her research.

Cid:
    An aviator and mechanic, Cid is the proud owner of an airship that can fly at incredible speeds.
    He, however, does not lend his services for domestic flights, he only provides his services for long voyages to and from other regions, such as the mostly uninhabited Frontier Isles.

Cipher Admins:
    Spoiler:

Miror B:
    One of the original four Cipher Admins, Miror B. is back and groovier than ever. This flamboyant dancing king will stop and nothing to achieve Cipher's goals and look fly doing it.

Aelia:
    Despite her tender and motherly appearance, Aelia is a rutheless agent of evil and has few qualms about doing harm to people and Pokémon who get in her way.

Edea:
    A former member of Team Rocket, Edea is working on excavating the ominously named Ruins of Death. She however, has no regard for preserving the history of the ruins or for the health and well-being of the inhabitants of Scorpious Town.

Jack:
    A seeker of Powerful Pokémon, Jack has goals to awaken the many Legendary and Mythical Pokémon in the Fodna Region in order to capture them and turn them into unstoppable Shadow Pokémon.

Ein:
    Another one of the original four admins, Ein has continued his Reseach and Development of the Shadow Pokémon creation process to where it can be spread from Pokémon to Pokémon like a virus.
    He, in addition, has begun work on continuing Lovrina's XD-Line of Shadow Pokémon who are impervious to purification, even to the way that XD001 was purified.

Shadow Pokémon: Shadow Pokémon are Pokémon that have had the door to their hearts closed by artificial means. This once used to be only possible in Cipher's sinister labs, but now can happen anywhere due to Cipher's new little virus. To purify a Shadow Pokémon, the player must battle with and carry a Pokémon on hand intil it is ready to purified. Once that point is ready, a Shadow Pokémon can either be purified via the Purify Chamber or at the Lake of Purity.
    Poké Pager: The Poké Pager acts as the replacement for HMs in the Fodna Region. It allows the player to page Special Help Pokémon to help clear obtacles in his/her way.
    Birthsigns: Pokémon now have special Birthsigned based on which month is was born in. Each birthsign grants special benefits to the Pokémon.
    Pokémon Following: Pokémon can now follow the player around like they did in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. The following Pokémon can find items for the player as they travel around the Fodna Region.

Note: Some screenshots may be outdated.
    Spoiler:
    Field:

Battle (Luka's Elite Battle System):

Menus:

Other:

I need the following:
    • Spriter to make UI Elements for the Game
    • Person capable of creating Gen 5 Overworld and Trainer Sprites
    • Someone able to compile overworld sprites of all the Generation 6 and 7 Pokémon
    • Eventers to help me create NPCs
    • Possibly a scripter who is more familiar with the Essentials Engine than I am

Spoiler:
    Demo: Version 2.08

Known Bugs:
    • There is a slight graphical hicup when the player player crosses a map boundry with a following Pokémon
    • Generation 7 and Alolan forms do not have sprites and will not display correctly as followers, this is due to not having sprites for them yet.
    • When crossing a bridge or traversing up and down stairs there is some issue with the following Pokémon following behind the player.
    • The game may occassionally crash upon start-up citing an error in the script "Resource_SmartDownload." Ignore this, it occurs randomly and can't be traced easily. (I think this is fixed, but I'm not 100% sure)

Credits:
    Spoiler:
    Idea:
    • Crystal Noel
    • PhantomaBima

Source Research:
    • Serebii
    • Bulbapedia
    • Pokémon Database
    • Smogon

Scripting:
    • Crystal Noel
    • Luka S.J.
    • Nuri Yuri
    • GiraPrimal
    • FL
    • Mej
    • KleinStudio
    • shiney570
    • rigbycwts
    • Richard PT
    • Lucidious89
    • ForeverZer0
    • Black Eternity

Audio:
    Graphics:
    • pokecheck.org (site now defunct)
    • Pokémon Showdown Sprite Repository
    • Pikachumazzinga
    • Crasher TN
    • darkKitsuneoflight
    • CharlieDawg
    • Vendily
    • shiney570
    • Vannah☆
    • redblueyellow
    • UltimoSpriter
    • SpartaLazor
    • RadicalRaptr
    • princess-phoenix
    • Manuxd789
    • Eli-eli76
    • necrolichmon
    • Rayquaza-dot
    • Kyle-Dove
    • BoOmxBiG

Mapping:
    • Crystal Noel
    • Ras!

Writing:
    • Crystal Noel
    • PhantomaBima

Elite Battle System:

Sprites:
    • GameFreak | Original sprites from B/W/2 games
    • Pokecheck.org | Ripping the sprites from B2/W2 roms
    • Luka S.J. | Indexing and formatting the sprites
    • PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG conversion
    • Tebited15 | B/W styled trainer Red sprite
    • Spriters-Resource (redblueyellow) | Gen 5 ball sprites

Battle Backgrounds:
    • Eli | Ripping and compiling the backgrounds
    • lilatraube | Some B2/W2 battle bases
    • Custom UI:
    • Luka S.J. | Design, formatting and implementation

Scripts:
    • Luka S.J. | Elite Battle System
    • Maruno | General help and support
    • PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG converter
    • Pokémon Essentials (Maruno + Poccil + Flameguru +contibutors) | Base system

Sound Effects:
    • GameFreak | Original sound effects from B/W/2 games
    • BadSamaritan | Ripping the sound effects

Other:
    • AceRidley406 | For move animation reference

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
    • Flameguru
    • Poccil (Peter O.)
    • Maruno

With contributions from:
    • Luka S.J.
    • Boushy
    • MiDas Mike
    • Brother1440
    • Near Fantastica
    • FL.
    • PinkMan
    • Genzai Kawakami
    • Popper
    • Harshboy
    • Rataime
    • help-14
    • SoundSpawn
    • IceGod64
    • the__end
    • Jacob O. Wobbrock
    • Venom12
    • KitsuneKouta
    • Wachunga
    • Lisa Anthony
    • xLeD
    • and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
    • Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
    • The Pokémon Company
    • Nintendo
    • Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
    No copyright infringements intended.
    Please support the official games!

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 26th, 2016 (4:39 PM).

Update:
      I've put a fair bit of work into this project. Not enough to where I can get some screenshots yet, but enough to say that this project is likely going to happen. As of right now, I've added all of the Gen VII items, moves, abilities and Pokémon to the game, although not all effects are working. I will continue to work on the game and will post screenshots when they are ready. To really move forward, I could use your help. You can help by filling out the survey at the top of the main post.

Old November 26th, 2016 (5:10 PM).
      A238

I do happen to have this Gen V tileset that I put together not that long ago. It doesn't contain all seasons, but you can find those on your own and/or mess around with the colors and add some snow/leaves/other seasonal decoration.

Credits go to UltimoSpriter of DeviantArt. Credits to me would be nice, since I did spend a lot of time working on it, but that's not required.

As for Gen VI Pokemon sprites in Gen V style, I think that the Smogon XY Sprite Project did a pretty good job of making them. You should give that a shot.

Name: Voi
        Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
        Old November 26th, 2016 (6:12 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by SpartaLazor View Post
          I do happen to have this Gen V tileset that I put together not that long ago. It doesn't contain all seasons, but you can find those on your own and/or mess around with the colors and add some snow/leaves/other seasonal decoration.

Credits go to UltimoSpriter of DeviantArt. Credits to me would be nice, since I did spend a lot of time working on it, but that's not required.

As for Gen VI Pokemon sprites in Gen V style, I think that the Smogon XY Sprite Project did a pretty good job of making them. You should give that a shot.
          Thanks. I already have a basic seasonal tileset from Klien's kit. I really just needed more buildings than just the ones in Nuvema and Accumula Town. This'll do nicely. I'll see about everything else. I think I have sufficient inside tiles, my only hesitation is can I make a good looking base for Cipher, although their base in Colosseum wasn't all that menacing.

Old November 26th, 2016 (10:39 PM).

Nature: Quiet
            I'm always up for another trip to the Orre Region, Nintendo's playground for being depressing.
            Old December 3rd, 2016 (8:54 PM).

I've got a fair amount of new stuff. The project is still fairly early, but I now have some screenshots to share, so her you go. Also if you still haven't filled out my little survey, please do so. It'll greatly help this project in its progress. You can find it here.

Screenshots:
              Spoiler:

Old December 17th, 2016 (10:01 PM).
              Fic Writer

Nature: Relaxed
                I answered your questionnaire. I hope to see this one as reality.
                Old December 18th, 2016 (10:40 AM).

We've got a major update here. One of my survey respondents by the name of PhatomBima reached out to me and laid out his suggestion. Due to how well detailed it was, I decided to go with it. I'm not going to put all the details here as they are now in the main post, but we have finalized more or less everything. I will take the survey responses about the legendaries to determine some details, but some legendaries will be fixed to their new positions as laid out in the idea. I hope to have new updates coming soon. I just finished Final Fantasy XV yesterday, so I really haven't put too much effort into this project.

Old January 4th, 2017 (3:42 PM).

I've done a lot of work on the project, which includes a roughly 45 minutes to an hour of gameplay as of right now. In addition, I've taken a lot of screenshots. As you might notice, I've switched some elements up and redone a ton of the menus and reduced the game to a single screen. Without futher ado, here you go:
                    Spoiler:

Field:

Battle:

Game Menus:

Other:

Old January 5th, 2017 (3:21 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Crystal Noel View Post
                      I've done a lot of work on the project, which includes a roughly 45 minutes to an hour of gameplay as of right now. In addition, I've taken a lot of screenshots. As you might notice, I've switched some elements up and redone a ton of the menus and reduced the game to a single screen. Without futher ado, here you go:
                      Spoiler:

Field:

Battle:

Game Menus:

Other:

This game looks cool! Can't wait for more progress to come out.
                      Old January 28th, 2017 (1:42 PM).

This game looks great and I'll definitely be looking forward to play the DEMO.
                        Old January 28th, 2017 (6:44 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by crudalis View Post
                          This game looks great and I'll definitely be looking forward to play the DEMO.
                          So do I, but it won't come soon though, at least from my side. Currently we are still working on tiles for the game. If you want the development to speed up and the game to be more polished, we are always open for any help~
                          Old January 28th, 2017 (7:33 PM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by PhantomBima View Post
                            So do I, but it won't come soon though, at least from my side. Currently we are still working on tiles for the game. If you want the development to speed up and the game to be more polished, we are always open for any help~
                            Only time I've actually did anything with programming and spriting is already 7-8 years ago.
                            Anyway, I'm very patient so I can keep waiting for the demo while occasionally checking this thread.
                            Old February 28th, 2017 (10:53 AM).

So progress has been a lot slower than I anticipated, mostly due to the fact that we can't seem to find tiles that work well with the game so we're currently having to rip new tiles for the game. If anyone would like to help out feel free to either PM me on this forum or add me on Discord.

Old February 28th, 2017 (1:13 PM).

Delays are totally understandable. Fingers crossed you find someone who can help.
                                Old April 4th, 2017 (7:53 PM).

Okay, it's been a little while and progress has slowed to a halt at the moment. As of right now, I am working on refining the game's aesthetics, namely the menus. As of right now, I am discontented with the pause menu I threw together and am looking for a new one to replace it with. I'm perfectly capable of coding it myself the issue is that I need assets for the game. If you are an artist who would like to contribute or you have assets that you can provide me, it'd be much appreciated.

Old April 5th, 2017 (5:20 PM).

Quote:
                                    Okay, it's been a little while and progress has slowed to a halt at the moment. As of right now, I am working on refining the game's aesthetics, namely the menus. As of right now, I am discontented with the pause menu I threw together and am looking for a new one to replace it with. I'm perfectly capable of coding it myself the issue is that I need assets for the game. If you are an artist who would like to contribute or you have assets that you can provide me, it'd be much appreciated.
                                    Working on the aesthetics is important. Hope you find an artist!
                                    Old April 25th, 2017 (6:40 PM).

I just wanted to give a quick progress update, nothing big, just some general comments to let you know what's been going on. As of right now, the game is doing better. I have someone working on maps and a tileset that I am fully satisfied with (the next update will have all the screenshots from that, I'm waiting for more maps at the moment). In addition, mechanic wise, I have decided to work on adding 2 new features, one of which is tentative at the moment. The one that is 100% confirmed working in the game now, are Z-Moves! The only issue that they have right now is that I don't have a graphic for the button to activate them. So if someone wants to modify the Mega Evolution button from the Elite Battle System that'd be fantastic, just PM if you're interested. The other major mechanic is I am currently entertaining the possibility of having Pokémon follow you around like they did in HGSS, the only issue with that at the moment is that the generation 6 and 7 Pokémon don't have sprites at the moment (they're out there, they're just not in a form where I can use them). So if someone is able to compile those sprites for me, I am all for putting this mechanic in the game.

Old April 25th, 2017 (8:43 PM).
                                      Shawn Heatherly Shawn Heatherly is offline

Quote:
                                        I just wanted to give a quick progress update, nothing big, just some general comments to let you know what's been going on. As of right now, the game is doing better. I have someone working on maps and a tileset that I am fully satisfied with (the next update will have all the screenshots from that, I'm waiting for more maps at the moment). In addition, mechanic wise, I have decided to work on adding 2 new features, one of which is tentative at the moment. The one that is 100% confirmed working in the game now, are Z-Moves! The only issue that they have right now is that I don't have a graphic for the button to activate them. So if someone wants to modify the Mega Evolution button from the Elite Battle System that'd be fantastic, just PM if you're interested. The other major mechanic is I am currently entertaining the possibility of having Pokémon follow you around like they did in HGSS, the only issue with that at the moment is that the generation 6 and 7 Pokémon don't have sprites at the moment (they're out there, they're just not in a form where I can use them). So if someone is able to compile those sprites for me, I am all for putting this mechanic in the game.
                                        The addition of Z-Moves is great news. It'd be cool to have follower Pokemon, but it might be more trouble than it's worth due to the Gen 6-7 Pokemon.
                                        Old May 9th, 2017 (3:06 PM).

I've just released the first demo, it contains about an hour of gameplay. This took so long since I had to redo a lot of the elements of the game. I hope you enjoy it! If you catch any bugs and/or typos please mention it here so I can keep a list going.

Old May 19th, 2017 (3:44 PM).

I've just released an update to the game. No new story or gameplay yet, but some bugs have been addressed including one that prevents you from playing the game at all.

Old May 20th, 2017 (4:44 PM).

Nature: Docile
                                              Hi! I was trying out your game when I walked into the lab, and I was unable to move. What can I do to fix this?
                                              Check out my new game's progress!
                                              Coming soon!
                                              Old May 21st, 2017 (12:06 PM).
                                              Crystal Noel Crystal Noel is offline

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by BjFinest34 View Post
                                                Hi! I was trying out your game when I walked into the lab, and I was unable to move. What can I do to fix this?
                                                I've updated the game with a few new changes:
                                                1. The bug that caused a lag when selecting on and off the continue tile in the load screen is now gone.
                                                2. The unintentional wall tiles in the lab have now been erased as well as a couple modifications to the tilesets.
                                                3. Minor tweaks to the battle system.
                                                4. New battlebacks for the battle system that resemble the generation 5 style.
                                                As per usual the two graphical issues with the Pokémon Following still stand and still don't have a solution looming on the horizon.

Old May 29th, 2017 (5:41 PM).
                                                bearintheair bearintheair is offline
                                                Sher

Glad you're still working on this (vannah here)
                                                  Old June 17th, 2017 (7:25 PM). Edited June 18th, 2017 by Luke Stelard.
                                                  Luke Stelard Luke Stelard is offline

Can I have all birth signs icon and the title without background of the game, please? I'll need them for the layout of the video, thanks

Quick Reply