• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Facerolling - When you simply "destroy" the game.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • gzXXGN7.png

Facerolling. This is simply when you "destroy" the game with a character that is very powerful with relative ease, thus trivializing the challenge and power factor of the game against you. You simply just walk in, smash enemies left and right with little to no opposition at all, as compared to say when you first started the game and had to actually "play" the game.

While there are many meanings and definitions of facerolling, I prefer the definition i came up with as something more meaningful.

Facerolling occurs much of the time when a player has achieved a certain level of power with his/her chosen character through carefully planned passive skill allocations, synergies with gear, and of course careful planning and Min-maxing of said character. This pretty much happens with certain loot-based Action-RPG games where players desire to grab the most powerful loot that matches well with their character. You got your powered up character and you face the challenges in the game, and simply just smash through the content without much trouble and opposition. You see the fruits of your labor and theorycrafting in action, at the cost of trivializing the game you're playing.

Samples of what looks like "Facerolling" in various video games:
    (Trigger Warning: Will contain lots of Path of Exile videos as reference)

Path of Exile sample gameplay of a geared character #1:
    Spoiler:

Borderlands 2 -> Gunzerker vs Raid Boss (Pyro Pete) courtesy of Admiral Bahroo
    Spoiler:

Path of Exile sample gameplay of one of my favorite PoE yotubers showcasing one of the new skills implemented in the latest patch:
    Spoiler:

Borderlands 2 -> Man of Low Moral Fiber showcases Zer0 soloing Raid Bosses
    Spoiler:

Path of Exile: Showcasing the top 3 meta builds in the most current version of the game
    Spoiler:

Warriors Orochi 2: Lu Bu with maxed out gear, all of the unlocked stuff VS Chaos Difficulty
    Spoiler:

Community Example: Pokemon Games? LUL
    Spoiler:

So shall we discuss if we enjoy this thing of Facerolling a video game? Do you like it when your character is able to simply smash every challenge or opposition in the game you're playing at once you have acquired your gear, have seen the fruits of your Min-Maxing optimization, and whatnot? Or do you prefer that you still "play the game" and have that sense of "Challenge" against the enemies or in simpleton defintions, enemies are still able to fight back?

Discuss pheasants and scrublords

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Ur the scrublord hrre m8.

I was expecting a Ryze in here and saw nothing! Am much disappoint!

Topic focuses more on the PVE/PVM (Player vs Environment/Player vs Monster) aspect of games. PVP is a different story

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    Community Example: Pokemon Games? LUL
    Spoiler:

See: Pokemon X/Y and OR/AS with the Exp. Share.

And giving you OP Mega Pokemon halfway through.

But I've complained about that elsewhere, so I'll shush now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    > Bleeding Effect on any weapon in Fallout 4
    Not quite! Bleed is better on sneak attacks iirc, but raw 'fuck everything' DPS goes to incendiary minigun/gatlaser. Affects all types of enemies, stacks with every hit, highest RoF weapon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2017
    Path of Exile. Jesus christ, of all the games that pretty much is the definition of Faceroll. Yep, the best part about PoE is that a well geared and well built character can pretty much spend a good amount of time just face smacking end-game content like no tomorrow, and the only real challenge for such characters is surviving reflect damage. I can remember how my high end 123k DPS Crit Dual Sword Duelist in Hardcore Nemesis League and its 125ex worth of currency (oh the good ole days) almost died to reflect since I was playing on a "No regen + Phys Reflect Map" and I forgot to pop in my granite pots for that much needed armor. Good thing I survived till the end of that League.

Fallout New Vegas -> Companions. Yep. Basically even on Very Hard difficulty, companions can pretty much end up face smacking almost every hostile enemy in the game save for the likes of Deathclaws, which of course is your responsibility in killing while your companions distract them. Boone and E-DE when fully upgraded can lay the smackdown against much of the content.

Yep. Facerolling. I really enjoy this in Player vs Environment settings. Its pretty much a validation of how good your character is especially when tackling end-game content. its always satisfying to basically just trivialize the supposed threats in a video game by basically turning almost every enemy in said game as a "stat check" to see how strong your character is.

Some people may not like this though since they feel that it makes the game silly, but hey...

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • katarina.png

End thread.

Just kidding, those days are over, anyway. As soon as you see the "YOU WIN" text upon touching an enemy in EarthBound, then you know you've reached faceroll threshold. It's nice that the game acknowledges how OP you are, and skips battles completely. As for faceroll itself, I hate it. I like being able to display my skill, and being able to roflstomp everything isn't really doing that.

Fallout New Vegas -> Companions. Yep. Basically even on Very Hard difficulty, companions can pretty much end up face smacking almost every hostile enemy in the game save for the likes of Deathclaws, which of course is your responsibility in killing while your companions distract them. Boone and E-DE when fully upgraded can lay the smackdown against much of the content.

Had Veronica/ED-E for the vast majority of the game, only died to my own stupidity such as pitfalls or underestimating enemies. The rest of the game, those two just crapped on anything in their path. It was like having two large turrets always by my side.

Yukari

The second you get Knights of the Round in Final Fantasy 7 all challenge the game offered dies.

Oh and even the superbosses aren't a challenge if you combine Mime, HP Absorb, and Knights of the Round.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I used several videos to actually help with a visual idea of what "Facerolling" should be like. Then again, the idea of Facerolling somehow extends to topics such as "Power Creep vs Difficulty" talk but that should be in a different topic.

Then again, the idea of this phenomeon of Facerolling is kinda confusing and at times difficult to understand to those who have never or rarely played Action RPGs, specifically Loot based ones such as Diablo, Path of Exile, Borderlands (especially the second game), and whatnot. Hell even I couldn't even write a concrete definition of it that would fit the level of understanding to this subforum's userbase. Its so difficult to explain unless I actually provide a sort of "Live Demonstration". (I wouldn't mind though. I'd definitely showcase Path of Exile as one of the shining examples of how this Phenomenon works)

Also, I should FURTHER EMPHASIZE that Facerolling SHOULD NOT involve usage of any cheats or hacks. The videos I provided (Borderlands 2, Path of Exile, etc) shows what end-game level characters are with all of the items, gear, stat optimizations and whatnot are. A player's character that basically just smashes in-game content is basically the fruits of one's labor and understanding of the game and the numerous in-game interactions. Anyone who has played Action RPGs and have tackled end-game content with their high level characters should at least know what i'm talking about.

And as mentioned by me previously, I PURPOSELY LEFT OUT Stomping kids/scrubs/boostedbanobos in any multiplayer/competitive game by using "OP" characters because that's an entirely different context so leave out your stories of solo carrying games with Katarina/Ryze/Khazix in League of Legends or any other game that has "OP/Busted/LUL" characters/specs (Dota2 = Goblin Tinker with Perma Rearm (100% CDR on everything including Item actives) = Absolutely Balanced K Valve?) (Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 = ACR is most balanced gun, after 1887 Akimbo Prepatch/prenerf, Actually MW2 as a whole is basically PVP Faceroll in a nutshell. That game is busted as f). That should be in another topic of discussion. This topic is more on the Player vs Environment / PVE Experience.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Ladies and dudes I MAY finally figured it out. MAY...

Basically what happens when you faceroll the game you're playing:

1) Lore, writing, and everything that you want to care about for the in-game world you're immersing yourself into becomes trivialized because your end-game character is so strong that the game becomes overly silly but its damn fun. All that hard work resulted in a character that basically just smashes the game you're playing. The feeling of threat and challenge is gone, and the only thing you're caring about is how even faster or even stronger can you clear content within the game. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger?

2) Every challenge the game wants you to play is smashed with how strong you are. The game has unwillingly acknowledged how strong your character has become.

3) The game you're playing essentially just becomes an entire big "stat check".

something like that. Feel free to say what you feel about facerolling in a video game (Again NOT PVP related. Already pointed that out numerous times k ladies?) in any means necessary.

This is probably the most confusing topic I've made for a while but feel free to make the best use of out if. I just wanted to know what people feel about End-game facerolling. Like it is still fun for them if the game they are playing just becomes an entire "stat-check" with how strong your built up character is? this Specifically mentions the likes of Action-RPGs, especially Loot based ones since they emphasize a lot on basically building and surviving end-game, in order for you, the player character to SMASH IT with some "OP" specs and builds.

So i assume some posters may have a clear understanding of what facerolling now means. So i'll just ask this simple question: If you enjoy facerolling a game, what kind of facerolling do you like? Killing everything so fast that the enemies can't even fight back with your super powered HUEG DPS character, or face-tanking everything to the point where you are nearly unkillable save for say Boss RNG?

Or if you don't want to answer that question since you hate facerolling a PVE game in general because you think its silly? You can simply tell what can game developers do to make sure that their game is still challenging and fun without turning the game into a "How strong is your character stat check"? Do you still like having to play the game by its own rules? Etc etc.. Again feel free to say what you want about this matter.

Years
  • Not quite! Bleed is better on sneak attacks iirc, but raw 'psyduck everything' DPS goes to incendiary minigun/gatlaser. Affects all types of enemies, stacks with every hit, highest RoF weapon.
    Not really. Bleed damage does affect every enemy in Fallout 4, and each projectile carries with it an additional 25 points of damage.

Shotguns are even better at using bleeding damage because each projectile used in the shell adds 25 points of damage regardless of DR.

Fire damage is very minimal in comparison and is resisted by Energy Resistance if I remember correctly, while bleed damage is not resisted at all. The Incendiary Legendary effect only deals 15 pts of Fire Damage per hit as opposed to the Wounding effect's 25 anyway.

I would make the argument that the Exploding effect is better than the Incendiary effect due to instantaneous damage and AoE potential; and also the damage dealt by the Explosive prefix is increased by the Demolition Expert perk as well as the Explosives bobblehead. With 4 ranks in Demolition Expert and the Explosives Bobblehead, Explosive weapons actually deal 32.25 explosive AoE damage per pellet.

On sneak attacks, I believe that Instigating is the best legendary effect to have on a long rifle. Currently, with the Nuka World DLC the Instigating Gauss Rifle is currently the strongest weapon in the base game, dealing a whopping 2000+ damage with the right perks (Damage bonuses are capped at 4.8 as of Update 1.4)

Ah. Trust me, you want Wounding, not Incendiary. Nothing, as of yet, resists Bleeding damage. Go explosive or Wounding.

Note: Incendiary damage does not stack. You can check the fun stuff here.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Not really. Bleed damage does affect every enemy in Fallout 4, and each projectile carries with it an additional 25 points of damage.

Shotguns are even better at using bleeding damage because each projectile used in the shell adds 25 points of damage regardless of DR.

Fire damage is very minimal in comparison and is resisted by Energy Resistance if I remember correctly, while bleed damage is not resisted at all. The Incendiary Legendary effect only deals 15 pts of Fire Damage per hit as opposed to the Wounding effect's 25 anyway.

I would make the argument that the Exploding effect is better than the Incendiary effect due to instantaneous damage and AoE potential; and also the damage dealt by the Explosive prefix is increased by the Demolition Expert perk as well as the Explosives bobblehead. With 4 ranks in Demolition Expert and the Explosives Bobblehead, Explosive weapons actually deal 32.25 explosive AoE damage per pellet.

On sneak attacks, I believe that Instigating is the best legendary effect to have on a long rifle. Currently, with the Nuka World DLC the Instigating Gauss Rifle is currently the strongest weapon in the base game, dealing a whopping 2000+ damage with the right perks (Damage bonuses are capped at 4.8 as of Update 1.4)

Ah. Trust me, you want Wounding, not Incendiary. Nothing, as of yet, resists Bleeding damage. Go explosive or Wounding.

Note: Incendiary damage does not stack. You can check the fun stuff here.
    Right right, thanks. The info I read was almost a year ago now, I might not've reaclled correctly, though I don't think wounding was added yet.
    Even robots bleed?

Years
  • Right right, thanks. The info I read was almost a year ago now, I might not've reaclled correctly, though I don't think wounding was added yet.
    Even robots bleed?
    The Legendary Wounding Effect could be found in the Base game, and yes, Robots do suffer from Bleed damage. Robots do, however, have energy resistances that I believe reduce Fire's effect on them, rendering it 'It's not very effective . . .'.

Poison damage is the very last one you want to use, as most everything is immune to it. Garbage tier. It offers the lowest damage out of all the additional damage add-ons and you should go for a Powerful or Two-Shot weapon instead. Stay away from this guy.

Out of the additional add on 'elements' for legendary weapons, Fire is low tier, along with Radiation. Fire is more effective than Radiation damage, as only humans are effected by it, but Fire damage does not scale with perks so far as I know. The Flamer and Napalmer are arguably the worst weapons in the base game. They don't scale with any perks at all.

Plasma and Frost are seemingly tied, as they both tack on additional damage and are effected by perks, although you can't see this difference directly, potentially giving both Frost and Plasma 25-35 points of extra damage. Given that both are handy in their own way, Plasma due to a potential source of Radioactive material and Frost because if you have Crits stored, you can pretty much guarantee victory against anything with frozen shots. You can run around pretending to be Mr. Freeze if you wanted to . . .

Explosive damage is effective due to splash and AoE damage and is effected by the Explosive Perk but caution should be used in close proximity. Between the two top tiers of Exploding and Bleeding, it's up to preference. Bleeding is silent, while Explosive I think is not, giving you opportunities to utilized a suppressed weapon more than once or twice.

Back