• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Featured: One Region or Two?

Would you rather have access to one or two regions in a game?

• Just one region please!

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Multi-regional all the way!

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

smocks

fiat lux
Years
With Gen 2 having access to two regions, Johto & Kanto, it's been highly anticipated for another game to include two regions as well.

Do you prefer to have a generation/game with one or two regions? Would you like to see future games with multiple regions? Would you like a majority of future games to have multiple regions? Why so?

Bonus Question: Would you rather have a really good post-game w/ only one region or have two regions? Why so?

pkmin3033

The thing about having multiple regions is that, even if it's not necessarily true, it FEELS like there is more content in the game. You have twice the number of badges, twice the number of places to explore, and so on. A single region, no matter how big it might be, or what optional postgame it might offer, can't really compete with what is essentially two games' worth of content in one. I think this is part of why two regions are so popular.

I'd be happy with a single region if it was the size of two regions, with the same amount of content. The problem is a game like that would probably drag on if it was all mandatory for story progression and completion - can you imagine having to get 16 badges before you got to the E4? Cries of "too long!" would resound and shake the internet. Having a second region as postgame works wonderfully though; it's more compelling than singular areas like the Battle Frontier, and there is more to do exploration-wise. Given how weak Pokemon's narrative is, it makes for better postgame content, too.

I know we'll likely never get another two region game - although I think any Switch game worth its salt would let you go to every region - but if it were up to me, I'd integrate any postgame content into a second region every time.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Depends if it's done well. It's really tricky to balance a level curve for two regions, (which, incidentally, is one of the many reasons that fangames promising to include all regions are all doomed to failure). HGSS didn't do a great job of balancing Kanto, but I think a second region with a proper difficulty ramp-up is possible. Any more than two would be a mess that I don't want to see, though.

Levelling issues aside, I think I would enjoy having two regions. I like exploring and it's certainly nice to get double the explorable area. Do I think it'll be a frequent feature of Pok?mon games in the future, though? It's too soon to be sure given that we're moving onto a new platform, but I doubt dual-region games will ever be a common thing. Maybe we'll get another one in the future, but I don't think it'll ever become a staple of the series.

blue

gucci
Years
A second region feels like worthy post-game content which is why I love the concept so much. It feels much more integrated to the storyline and you feel motivated to continue with the game to explore new areas rather than just going back around the same region doing the same stuff over and over again. The only two games in a single region with decent postgame content is Emerald and Platinum and that's because they have new areas with a Battle Frontier where you can actually spend hours without it feeling repetitive.

Years
I know that while exploring a second region would make for good post-game content, it's likely going to stay as a unique thing for the Johto games since both Kanto and Johto are connected together. The other regions are all further apart, with Unova, Kalos and Alola all being particularly distant from the first four.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I love how GSC handled having two regions (Kanto was a post-game in the size of a full game) and I'd love to see a game feature two regions in the same way again. As long as it is a region we've visited already and is logically connected to the one in the main game.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Multi-regions would be more fun if we could pick where we started and where we could progress to, regardless if it's a core part of the game or just a post-game content.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Do you prefer to have a generation/game with one or two regions? Would you like to see future games with multiple regions? Would you like a majority of future games to have multiple regions? Why so?

I wouldn't say I'd prefer to have a game with two regions, but I wouldn't object to it.

Yes. Hopefully the first Switch game comes with two regions. A new one, and then Kanto as a bonus for all the new fans of the series.

And I would not like the majority of future games to include more than one region. Sometimes a short game in one region is good. Let's keep it an every other generation thing.

Bonus Question: Would you rather have a really good post-game w/ only one region or have two regions? Why so?

Honestly? Right now? I want a one region game with a really good post game, because we haven't had one of those since Black 2 & White 2.

Years
I'm all for multi-regional games, I loved HGSS/Gen 2 and exploring Kanto was a big part of that. Having a second region to explore after the main story really gives me a proper and enjoyable incentive to keep playing the game. The post-games in the likes of SM and XY just felt tedious and like I was forcing myself to play them, whereas, with a second region, I can explore new areas and challenge more gyms which is basically like having another Pokemon game added on to the original.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I'd think it'd be one region surrounded by several smaller regions or something like that. Seems like something Game Freak would do, anyway.
Sevii Islands! Something in that style would be awesome. It's not enough content for them to have to cram a plot into it like a full second region would, and it's probably not long enough for them to have to rebalance the level curve to accommodate it. Sounds fun c:

Back