• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum Event: Made in Galar: Glameow and Purugly

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Let's try a collaborative event, bringing together the battlers, artists, writers and to-be SwSh players! With the reveal of Galarian Zigzagoon, Linoone, and their new evolution Obstagoon, Galarian Weezing, and a Galar-region evolution for Farfetch'd in Sirfetch'd, let's try to make our own forms.

Galarian Shroomish and Breloom

How it works

We'll pick a Pokémon line to Galar-fy each edition. Sometimes this will be from a poll vote, and other times just from existing choices already available.

Following that, we'll have calls for the following:
    • Art! We need designs. People are free to submit both new forms for existing Pokemon - one or all of the species line (so e.g. something like Galarian Zigzagoon, etc.), or new evolutions (e.g. like Sirfetch'd).
    • Writing! New dex entries and additional lore about the new forms/evolutions. If you want to even write up a story, go for it!
    • Stats, Moves and Abilities! Any change to a stateline, or the possible stats for a hypothetical Galarian evolution, need to be made up. New Abilities and even a new Move fitting the Pokemon (see: Obstruct and Meteor Assault) can be made up.

At the end, all of your efforts will be showcased in a Daily article. See the list above for previous entries to this series!

This Edition's Species

We're starting with Glameow and Purugly. There's existing ideas already over here, but I'll let people share what they want to submit afresh in this thread.

And some quote notifs:
    NikolaP said:
    the sloth said:
    Venheart said:

Years
  • Great! Time to work on my entry: I envision an old-fashioned mustache-twirling villain Normal/Ghost Purugly.

the sloth

is loafing around
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2020
    Since the prompt for this round was announced ahead of time, I got a bit of a head-start on this one.

I managed to come up with a couple of possible ideas for Glameow and Purugly, and got started on the design of one of them, not sure if I'll get to the others but possibly will.

Galarian Glameow (Meowstermind) and (Alternate Evolution to Purugly)
    blofeld_5403.jpg

Psychic -> Psychic/Dark types based off of the trope of diabolical masterminds having a pet cat sit in their lap while they scheme, examples including Dr. Claw's cat from the Inspector Gadget series, Giovanni's Persian in the Pokemon anime, and one of the most infamous examples of the trope being the white cat belonging to Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Blofeld is the most iconic villain of the James Bond franchise, and given how Inteleon is already inspired by British spies such as James Bond, making Glameow into an evil mastermind's best friend seems like a natural fit. That's the roundabout justification I came up for this, anyways.

Galarian Glameow (Meowstermind) Art [Large Image Warning]
    Spoiler:

Type: Psychic
    Ability: TBD/Own Tempo/Analytic (HA)

Pokedex Entries:
    [Sword] Glameow never blinks, and its unwavering stare unnerve some away from it. Despite this, it becomes very bitter and temperamental if ignored for too long.
    [Shield] It has an incredibly acute perception of its surroundings. It can read neural waves from nearby lifeforms with its whiskers, but often only focuses on the readings from its owner.

Meowstermind Glameow's design came about from inverting their fur colors to make them predominately white-furred, but it also ended up making them resemble a Siamese cat, which I think works in its favor. Siamese cats have somewhat of a reputation for being a bitter breed along with having some negative superstitions about them, similar to black cats. They also have some fluff in their ears and, if you have a sharp eye, might notice that Glameow has an extra pair of whiskers. Meowstermind Glameow are pure Psychic types, and their wide-eyed gazes replacing their narrow-eyed smirks aren't just for show. It is incredibly observant, and its high perception lets it even read the mind of its trainer. This is why it gets Analytic as a hidden ability, and would likely learn moves such as Mind Reader, Detect, Future Sight, etc. I plan to chalk up a full level-up learnset for Glameow and their evolution, so suggestions on that front are welcome.

Their evolution does not currently have a concrete design, but so far is determined to be named Heinhiss (heinous + hiss), have a Psychic/Dark typing, and would evolve via leveling up while knowing Nasty Plot via TR, not able to learn the move normally. Heinhiss would be tall and lean rather than short and stout like Purugly, giving off a much more regal and menacing vibe than before, and its flavor text would suggest it's something of a usurper or backstabber. I haven't hammered many other details about them beyond that. On a side note, I could definitely see this thing being on Oleana's team, coming out right before her Garbodor.

That's the Galarian design I'm focusing on first, but have a couple other extraneous ideas that I may/may not get to afterwards:
    * Galarian Glameow/Purugly based off of Fairy Tale witches and their cat familiars. Poison/Fairy type with a move/ability involving potions. Would likely get Power of Alchemy as an ability/hidden ability. Main things holding me back from this one are Galarian Weezing (a Galarian form with the same unique typing) and Hatterene (already has that forest witch vibe).
    * Galarian Glameow/Purugly based off two concepts; Schrodinger's Cat and British big cats. Anomalous cryptid Pokemon with a Normal/Ghost typing that "exist and don't exist" at the same time.
    * Galarian Glameow/Purugly based off of Chinese dragons...? Not sure where they would fit in Galar but the idea of dragon cats sounded really cool, and the whiskers/long curly tail gave me that Chinese dragon vibe.

Open to suggestions/brainstorming/criticism/etc.!

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Meowstermind Glameow's design came about from inverting their fur colors to make them predominately white-furred, but it also ended up making them resemble a Siamese cat, which I think works in its favor. Siamese cats have somewhat of a reputation for being a bitter breed along with having some negative superstitions about them, similar to black cats. They also have some fluff in their ears and, if you have a sharp eye, might notice that Glameow has an extra pair of whiskers. Meowstermind Glameow are pure Psychic types, and their wide-eyed gazes replacing their narrow-eyed smirks aren't just for show. It is incredibly observant, and its high perception lets it even read the mind of its trainer. This is why it gets Analytic as a hidden ability, and would likely learn moves such as Mind Reader, Detect, Future Sight, etc. I plan to chalk up a full level-up learnset for Glameow and their evolution, so suggestions on that front are welcome.
    This and its basis makes good sense to me! Nice idea for the inspriation. Foresight and Odeur Sleuth may also make sense. Nasty Plot, Baby-Doll Eyes, Leer, Scary Face may also make sense?
    Their evolution does not currently have a concrete design, but so far is determined to be named Heinhiss (heinous + hiss), have a Psychic/Dark typing, and would evolve via leveling up while knowing Nasty Plot via TR, not able to learn the move normally. Heinhiss would be tall and lean rather than short and stout like Purugly, giving off a much more regal and menacing vibe than before, and its flavor text would suggest it's something of a usurper or backstabber. I haven't hammered many other details about them beyond that. On a side note, I could definitely see this thing being on Oleana's team, coming out right before her Garbodor.
    Nice name for the potential evo.
    That's the Galarian design I'm focusing on first, but have a couple other extraneous ideas that I may/may not get to afterwards:
    * Galarian Glameow/Purugly based off of Fairy Tale witches and their cat familiars. Poison/Fairy type with a move/ability involving potions. Would likely get Power of Alchemy as an ability/hidden ability. Main things holding me back from this one are Galarian Weezing (a Galarian form with the same unique typing) and Hatterene (already has that forest witch vibe).
    * Galarian Glameow/Purugly based off two concepts; Schrodinger's Cat and British big cats. Anomalous cryptid Pokemon with a Normal/Ghost typing that "exist and don't exist" at the same time.
    * Galarian Glameow/Purugly based off of Chinese dragons...? Not sure where they would fit in Galar but the idea of dragon cats sounded really cool, and the whiskers/long curly tail gave me that Chinese dragon vibe.

Of these, I'd say Schrodinger's Cat interests me the most, although the idea of dragon cats also sounds cool to me.

the sloth

is loafing around
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2020
    This and its basis makes good sense to me! Nice idea for the inspriation. Foresight and Odeur Sleuth may also make sense. Nasty Plot, Baby-Doll Eyes, Leer, Scary Face may also make sense?

I'm wondering if I should make Nasty Plot be part of the level-up learnset or just be a TR since it's needed to evolve. I think I'll have it replace learning Hone Claws at Level 48, so you CAN learn it much earlier if you go buy the TR from someone in the Wild Area, but the learnset will toss you a bone if you don't do that eventually. Additionally, if you hold out learning it for a couple more levels, you can learn Play Rough as a Glameow exclusive move at 50, and then have the move reminder give them Nasty Plot back to evolve.

And unfortunately, Foresight and Odor Sleuth were cut from SwSh, but those other moves sound great, thanks!

Years
  • Meowstermind Glameow's design came about from inverting their fur colors to make them predominately white-furred, but it also ended up making them resemble a Siamese cat, which I think works in its favor. Siamese cats have somewhat of a reputation for being a bitter breed along with having some negative superstitions about them, similar to black cats. They also have some fluff in their ears and, if you have a sharp eye, might notice that Glameow has an extra pair of whiskers. Meowstermind Glameow are pure Psychic types, and their wide-eyed gazes replacing their narrow-eyed smirks aren't just for show. It is incredibly observant, and its high perception lets it even read the mind of its trainer. This is why it gets Analytic as a hidden ability, and would likely learn moves such as Mind Reader, Detect, Future Sight, etc. I plan to chalk up a full level-up learnset for Glameow and their evolution, so suggestions on that front are welcome.

I really like Mastermind Glameow! May I suggest that its tail coils in a hypnotic spiraling loop, at least when attacking?

As for its evolution, I'm thinking maybe turn the villain's cat into the actual Bond villain: what do you think of it being bipedal, patterned like it's wearing a fancy white suit and with as many spy movie villain details as can fit on it (laser eyes, metal teeth, retractable poison claws/spurs, "gloved" paws etc.). Basically evil, feline Inteleon. I'll make some sketches of that idea later, it might turn out nice and hopefully help you with figuring out its design.

Also, regarding the evolution's name: I like it, but Galar's regional evolutions have a particular naming scheme. Their names are strictly callbacks to their pre-evolution's or parallel evolution's names (Obstagoon, Cursola, Sirfetch'd, Mr. Rime, Perrserker, Runerigus). In that light, how about naming the evolution itself Meowstermind? It fits the theme and calls back to Glameow. Would be a really cool name, I think.

Moveset-wise, I'd agree with definitely having it naturally learn the move it evolves with.

As for your other concepts, the Normal/Ghost one is pretty much what I'm working on. They'll be descended from Purugly abandoned by their owners because they weren't cute anymore: full of grudge, vengeful, hungry, out in the streets. Glameow will be skeletal and Purugly will grow fat and whisker-twirly with a fur collar tail and a Cheshire grin.

Last edited:

the sloth

is loafing around
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2020
    I really like Mastermind Glameow! May I suggest that its tail coils in a hypnotic spiraling loop, at least when attacking?

Y'know, I was considering that flavor for its evolution, but I think I might do that for Glameow too. We'll see!

As for its evolution, I'm thinking maybe turn the villain's cat into the actual Bond villain: what do you think of it being bipedal, patterned like it's wearing a dapper white suit and with as many spy movie villain details as can fit on it (laser eyes, metal teeth, retractable poison claws/spurs, "gloved" paws etc.). Basically evil, feline Inteleon. I'll make some sketches of that idea later, it might turn out nice and hopefully help you with figuring out its design.

That's a great idea! I'm thinking of keeping it quadrupedal and styling the fur around its neck into something like a high collar, but going ham with spy movie villain gadgets and accessories sounds pretty fun! Would also justify giving them quite the varied moveset... maybe a stretch, but maybe they could even learn Fishious Rend, as a reference to spy move villains and their affinity for shark/piranha tanks? I haven't started sketching out their design yet, so I'll just wait and see how your sketch comes out before I do.

Also, regarding the evolution's name: I like it, but Galar's regional evolutions have a particular naming scheme. Their names are strictly callbacks to their pre-evolution's or parallel evolution's names (Obstagoon, Cursola, Sirfetch'd, Mr. Rime, Perrserker, Runerigus). In that light, how about naming the evolution itself Meowstermind? It fits the theme and calls back to Glameow. Would be a really cool name, I think.

I was kinda going for that. Glameow and Purugly both have a sound a cat makes in their names (Glameow, Purugly), with Heinhiss continuing that. In lieu of that, Meowstermind I think can work.

As for your other concepts, the Normal/Ghost one is pretty much what I'm working on. They'll be descended from Purugly abandoned by their owners because they weren't cute anymore: full of grudge, vengeful, hungry, out in the streets. Glameow will be skeletal and Purugly will grow fat and whisker-twirly with a fur collar tail and a Cheshire grin.

Interesting idea! If you wanted to tie it into British big cats, a lot of those cases are theorized to be the result of exotic pets being released into the surrounding areas. And Purugly is classified as the Tiger Cat Pokemon, so you could base it partially off of a puma, lynx, and/or a tiger, as per the aforementioned Tiger Cat classification. But if you wanna stick to the domesticated breed for inspiration, you could make Glameow's tail resemble vertebrae for some macabre imagery. Maybe replace Glameow's Limber ability with Gluttony from their starvation, which turns into Purugly's Thick Fat upon evolution, unless you replace that ability with a different one.

Years
  • That's a great idea! I'm thinking of keeping it quadrupedal and styling the fur around its neck into something like a high collar, but going ham with spy movie villain gadgets and accessories sounds pretty fun! Would also justify giving them quite the varied moveset... maybe a stretch, but maybe they could even learn Fishious Rend, as a reference to spy move villains and their affinity for shark/piranha tanks? I haven't started sketching out their design yet, so I'll just wait and see how your sketch comes out before I do.

Uploading sketches! Managed to come up with a few cool motifs and gimmicks.

Here's my basic idea for the Meowstermind Glameow evolution, spy movie villain themed. All drawings in pencil, photos taken by phone.

Basic look:
    Spoiler:

Sitting on the tail, using it like a springy chair:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

More detailed design:
    Spoiler:

On all fours, very rough sketch:
    Spoiler:

It mainly retains the Siamese cat inspiration that fits well with the suit and gloves pattern. I used the head shape that Glameow had in 3DS models in generation 6 (the ugly one that that was changed in generation 7), feeling it would be good to use it for something. Additionally, I used the tail as an improvised chair, remembering Glameow sitting on its tail to bounce in Sinnoh-era anime. Any evil genius worth the name sits while plotting.

There is a black spot over one eye, meant to evoke an eyepatch (undecided on which eye, we could make that a gender difference). The paw pads are imagined red and fire lasers, while a concealed spur is present on the legs as well. The poofy tail functions as a base for sitting on and spikes up into a mace and unfurls when the Pokémon is angry. It can walk on two legs or on all fours.

The fur is medium long and patterned like a beige suit with a white undershirt, with a grey or brown face and black gloves and boots with a rubbery shine. The black tufts have been kept in the ears and a whisker was added above the eyes, which weren't drawn in detail.

Flavour-wise, we could say it enjoys toying with its prey so much that the prey often escapes, alluding to Bond villains' complicated and ineffective traps and execution methods. With that in mind, I suggest the following signature move: Doomsday Laser, a reasonably powerful Dark-type move that leaves the target with at least 1 HP. Great for catching Pokémon, also pairs well with Fell Stinger that this thing would definitely get thanks to the spurs, as well as Poison Jab (think Rosa Klebb of SPECTRE from "From Russia With Love" and her poisoned boots). Additionally, we could say the parents keep their baby Glameow in their laps and stroke them.

When stats are concerned, I suggest simply making it a special-oriented Purugly. I'd say no to Fishious Rend, let's not get ahead of ourselves with taking signature moves from fossil Frankensteins. I suggest more of a special, mainly laser-oriented movepool with dirty, underhanded, gadgety physical moves thrown in.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Also, here's my previously made Normal/Ghost Purugly:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Notice the gaping jaws pattern on the face. These are early sketches (I gave up on the tail encircling the body), but best to repost them here so that they're seen in this thread too.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • It mainly retains the Siamese cat inspiration that fits well with the suit and gloves pattern. I used the head shape that Glameow had in 3DS models in generation 6 (the ugly one that that was changed in generation 7), feeling it would be good to use it for something. Additionally, I used the tail as an improvised chair, remembering Glameow sitting on its tail to bounce in Sinnoh-era anime. Any evil genius worth the name sits while plotting.
    That's a neat touch. Bouncy chair would be extra good for thinking on, haha.
    Flavour-wise, we could say it enjoys toying with its prey so much that the prey often escapes, alluding to Bond villains' complicated and ineffective traps and execution methods. With that in mind, I suggest the following signature move: Doomsday Laser, a reasonably powerful Dark-type move that leaves the target with at least 1 HP. Great for catching Pokémon, also pairs well with Fell Stinger that this thing would definitely get thanks to the spurs, as well as Poison Jab (think Rosa Klebb of SPECTRE from "From Russia With Love" and her poisoned boots). Additionally, we could say the parents keep their baby Glameow in their laps and stroke them.
    That's a fun idea. I like it. That said, perhaps it should also have False Swipe in its movepool too, at least as an Egg Move option? Does make sense for a cat Pokemon to know, to me.
    When stats are concerned, I suggest simply making it a special-oriented Purugly. I'd say no to Fishious Rend, let's not get ahead of ourselves with taking signature moves from fossil Frankensteins. I suggest more of a special, mainly laser-oriented movepool with dirty, underhanded, gadgety physical moves thrown in.
    Less gadgety but moves like Beat Up, Bite, Sucker Punch and Night Slash would fit the bill to me.

More potentially gadgety: Gear Grind (putting an oponent between gears to hurt them), and Acid Spray?

Years
  • Oh, I like Acid Spray. Preferably from large, uncovered vats of acid above which it fights Inteleon and that it inevitably falls into. We could give it Immunity so that it survives that repeatedly happening, haha...

My laser move is inspired by the slowly progressing laser beam that stops an inch from James Bond's neck.

the sloth

is loafing around
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2020
    Okay! Spent this evening working out Meowstermind's current design, with Nikola's sketch serving as a great basis, thank you very much for that!

Spoiler:

I didn't color it yet since I feel like it still needs some minor tweaks before being finalized, but for the most part I like the design I have going so far! They're sitting with their legs crossed and fingerspaws tented ominously as all good villains do on top of their tail, coiled into a spring-seat, the fluffy end seen behind it. I used Gen 6 Glameow's ear designs for Meowstermind (which I might change later, not sure), and then there's that one eye... the intent is for it to be a bit of a mechanical laser eye. Think something like the Terminator. I wanted to go with that for its laser attacks rather than its paws, but might change the eye to look a bit more... natural compared to its other eye. There's some other minor details like the retracting claws that I'll include in separate sketches once the design is finalized.

All the moveset suggestions are noted as well. On the subject of Doomsday Laser, since it functions as a Dark type False Swipe, how does a buff from 40 -> 60 power sound? I plan on Meowstermind's Attack and Speed stats to take a blow to buff their special and defensive stats to varying degrees, plus Dark doesn't have as near-universal coverage as Normal does for an attack that can't kill.

Current description/stats of Doomsday Laser:
    Doomsday Laser
    Dark
    Special
    20 PP
    60 Power
    100% Accuracy
    * Does not make contact
    * Affected by Protect
    * Not affected by Magic Coat
    * Affected by Mirror Move
    * Affected by King's Rock
    May affect anyone adjacent to the user
    "An attack meant to obliterate the target that ultimately fails and prevents the target from fainting. The target is left with at least 1 HP."

Also, here's my previously made Normal/Ghost Purugly:

Notice the gaping jaws pattern on the face. These are early sketches (I gave up on the tail encircling the body), but best to repost them here so that they're seen in this thread too.

It looks positively pun not intended ghastly! I like how you used the fully plump design of Purugly without their tail corset as seen in the anime (I think that's the only place it's been seen? Correct me if wrong). It'll be interesting to see the contrast to the much more skinny and frail Glameow.

Years
  • Okay! Spent this evening working out Meowstermind's current design, with Nikola's sketch serving as a great basis, thank you very much for that!

I didn't color it yet since I feel like it still needs some minor tweaks before being finalized, but for the most part I like the design I have going so far! They're sitting with their legs crossed and fingerspaws tented ominously as all good villains do on top of their tail, coiled into a spring-seat, the fluffy end seen behind it. I used Gen 6 Glameow's ear designs for Meowstermind (which I might change later, not sure), and then there's that one eye... the intent is for it to be a bit of a mechanical laser eye. Think something like the Terminator. I wanted to go with that for its laser attacks rather than its paws, but might change the eye to look a bit more... natural compared to its other eye. There's some other minor details like the retracting claws that I'll include in separate sketches once the design is finalized.

All the moveset suggestions are noted as well. On the subject of Doomsday Laser, since it functions as a Dark type False Swipe, how does a buff from 40 -> 60 power sound? I plan on Meowstermind's Attack and Speed stats to take a blow to buff their special and defensive stats to varying degrees, plus Dark doesn't have as near-universal coverage as Normal does for an attack that can't kill.

Doomsday Laser
    Dark
    Special
    20 PP
    60 Power
    100% Accuracy
    * Does not make contact
    * Affected by Protect
    "An attack meant to obliterate the target that ultimately fails and prevents the target from fainting. The target is left with at least 1 HP."

It looks positively pun not intended ghastly! I like how you used the fully plump design of Purugly without their tail corset as seen in the anime (I think that's the only place it's been seen? Correct me if wrong). It'll be interesting to see the contrast to the much more skinny and frail Glameow.

You're welcome, glad I could help! The design is looking good. I like the gen 6 ears on it, they have a kind of Egyptian feel to them. The wide eye motif is a nice touch, could do with that or an eyepatch, whatever ends up more appealing. I like the poofy fur around the neck. In general your design looks more slumped and relaxed, which is good.

I like Doomsday Laser's description. I suggest it be a little more powerful, like 70, since it is intended by Meowstermind to be dangerous (emphasis on intended).

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think I'll also go with an Oliver Twist motif for my Glameow and Purugly, Purugly being the fat, exploitative boss (which the automatic censor doesn't let me name correctly) and Glameow being hungry, abandoned children.

Last edited:
    Years
  • My Glameow is going along nicely, will post some doodles later during the day when I'm not on mobile.

Also, I liked Meowstermind so much I was inspired to make a drawing of its current design, with some suggestions for further development thrown in. That's also getting posted today.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Alright, here we go:

First, a crude illustration of my idea for a Normal/Ghost Galarian Glameow:
    Spoiler:

Skeletal stripes and spots, a messy, zigzagging tail that it folds like a cap over its head. Generally sad, pathetic, abandoned, skinny and hungry, in contrast to classy regular Glameow.

Some lore: The ancestors of Galarian Glameow were fancy pet Purugly that grew too big and not pretty enough and were disowned, left to fend for themselves in the streets. Their descendants retain their misery, their grudge and their dream of a loving home.
    Spoiler:

Glameow cover their heads with their tails, making them resemble large worker's caps worn by street urchins in various media, particularly by literary orphan and street urchin Oliver Twist.
    ----

Secondly, my rendering of Meowstermind, in black and white and with notes on several design suggestions present in it (some diverging from the sloth's current design, some offered as additions to it). Mine is only crossing its feet, I couldn't get it to look good cross-legged from this angle.

Closeup of Meostermind:
    Spoiler:

Wider frame with notes:
    Spoiler:

Elaboration:
    Spoiler:

Some mechanical ideas for Meowstermind: remembering the classic large uncovered vats of dangerous chemicals from action movies while thinking of the anomalous eye, I thought: why not make the eye a result of a terrible accident? It would so fit the concept. In that name I propose that Galarian Glameow evolves into Meowstermind after reaching a certain level in a battle where it was hit by a Poison-type move (complicated method similar to Sligoo's overworld rain and Farfetch'd needing to score 3 critical hits).

Playing on the theme of the climactic explosion-prone spy villain, the red button paw pads could give it access to Selfdestruct and it could have Aftermath as an ability.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Okay! Spent this evening working out Meowstermind's current design, with Nikola's sketch serving as a great basis, thank you very much for that!

Doomsday Laser
    Dark
    Special
    20 PP
    60 Power
    100% Accuracy
    * Does not make contact
    * Affected by Protect
    I am still a fan of the tail-as-a-seat aspect. The pose is great too, fits the motif nicely. Good design!

60 Power and the description and notes on Doomsday Laser sound fine to me!

Aright, here we go:

First, a crude illustration of my idea for a Normal/Ghost Galarian Glameow:

Skeletal stripes and spots, a messy, zigzagging tail that it folds like a cap over its head. Generally sad, pathetic, abandoned, skinny and hungry, in contrast to classy regular Glameow.

Some lore: The ancestors of Galarian Glameow were fancy pet Purugly that grew too big and not pretty enough and were disowned, left to fend for themselves in the streets. Their descendants retain their misery, their grudge and their dream of a loving home.

Glameow cover their heads with their tails, making them resemble large worker's caps worn by street urchins in various media, particularly by literary orphan and street urchin Oliver Twist.
    Neat allusion to Oliver Twist and the like; I like it! How would it manage to keep it there (if it tries to maintain it) while attacking, I wonder?
    Elaboration:
    Spoiler:

Some mechanical ideas for Meowstermind: remembering the classic large uncovered vats of dangerous chemicals from action movies while thinking of the anomalous eye, I thought: why not make the eye a result of a terrible accident? It would so fit the concept. In that name I propose that Galarian Glameow evolves into Meowstermind after reaching a certain level in a battle where it was hit by a Poison-type move (complicated method similar to Sligoo's overworld rain and Farfetch'd needing to score 3 critical hits while holding a Leek).

Playing on the theme of the climactic explosion-prone spy villain, the red button paw pads could give it access to Selfdestruct and it could have Aftermath as an ability.

Thoughts?
    Nice details there. Complicated method sounds annoying for evolution but certainly in line of the series, haha. I suppose that grants it a tragic backstory in a sense too, aka motivation for it being evil.

Years
  • Neat allusion to Oliver Twist and the like; I like it! How would it manage to keep it there (if it tries to maintain it) while attacking, I wonder?

See middle Glameow in the first image. The tail is stretchy, Glameow can move and scratch freely with the cap on.

Years
  • Just an update: I'm now done with my month of exams and am free to doodle imaginary Glameow variants! More from Ghost Glameow coming up soon - hopefully I'll have it finalised over the next week.

I'm making it mangy, maybe wrapping the tail around the head as a kind of leper's bandage instead of a worker's cap? Big, sad eyes are a given. This Glameow is all about being abandoned and pathetic.

(Really, why is there always an exam season in the middle of this project?)

Years
  • Took me a while, but I've finally come up with a cool concept for Street Urchin Glameow!

Main design draft with notes:
    Spoiler:

Spreading its coat for intimidation:
    Spoiler:

Elaboration on design:
    Spoiler:

This is a Normal/Ghost Glameow, descended from abandoned, no longer pretty Purugly. Due to their new habitat's cold weather, they started covering their heads with their tails and developed long fur coats, which they spread to intimidate attackers if cornered. Meek and sad by disposition, they retain their ancestor's dream of a loving home, etc. as already described in previous posts.

Glameow's evolved form, Toothy Grin Purugly, is almost done as it is already. All that's left there is deciding exactly how striped its body should be. I now envision that sad Glameow evolves with max happiness and that the big, scary Purugly is in fact a loveable cuddlebug that sleeps under its owner's bed, guarding them from things that go bump in the night (as its typing makes it the perfect Ghost-type hunter).

Thoughts?

Back