• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed Rom-Hacking with Added Pokemon - HELP

Years
  • Hello,

I'm new to Pokemon ROM-Hacking and I want to create a story-driven Rom-Hack with some unique gameplay (or at least try it 😃 ). I've found a bunch of tutorials, but none of them could fix my major problem:

This hack heavily relies on Pokémon newer then Gen.3 ! (Mainly Gen.4 & 5 + Custom one's I will create for Gen.8, Gen7 isn't needed)

So, I searched for a base rom that supports these Pokemon and I found Epsilon's artifical RED rombase and I decided to use this (https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=360603)

I figured out, that the problem is that the programms I use (Advance Map 1.95, YAPE 0.9, UnnamedTrainerEditor) don't seem to show these extra Pokemon.
    - Advance Map only shows Bulbasaur to Chimecho
    - YAPE can't read the base stats and won't load the rom at all
    - Unnamed Trainer Editor: The Trainers Pokemon become invisible in the dropdown-menus

So my question is: Has anyone a good and detailled tutorial for me on how to make these extra pokemon work in the programms mentioned?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
    Xero3

Last edited:
    Years

• For Advanced Map, it is in the hex data itself, and as for the other tools (majority of them), are based on their .ini file.

For Advanced Map:
    • What is the number of your expanded Pokémon? Let's say it is 550.
    • Convert it into hex. The hex for 550 is 226.
    • Open A-Map 1.92 in a Hex Editor.
    • Locate to the offset D027C.
    • Change the 9C 01 to the hex number which you obtained, in reverse hex. So 226 would be 26 02.
    • Save and close the hex editor.
    Simple! And bear in mind that you have to have Pokémon between the offsets 0x0 - 0xFFFFFF in your ROM, or A-Map 1.95 would be ideal.

For the .ini's:
    The artificial RED ROM base must have provided with the .ini's for such, tools, and if not, then you have to edit them yourselves.

Years
  • For Advanced Map, it is in the hex data itself, and as for the other tools (majority of them), are based on their .ini file.

For Advanced Map:
    • What is the number of your expanded Pokémon? Let's say it is 550.
    • Convert it into hex. The hex for 550 is 226.
    • Open A-Map 1.92 in a Hex Editor.
    • Locate to the offset D027C.
    • Change the 9C 01 to the hex number which you obtained, in reverse hex. So 226 would be 26 02.
    • Save and close the hex editor.
    Simple! And bear in mind that you have to have Pokémon between the offsets 0x0 - 0xFFFFFF in your ROM, or A-Map 1.95 would be ideal.

For the .ini's:
    The artificial RED ROM base must have provided with the .ini's for such, tools, and if not, then you have to edit them yourselves.

Wow, this sounds very confusing 😱

So I have a few questions:
    1. Is Notepad++ a Hex-Editor or which one do you recommend?
    2. I get that 550 (Decimal) is 226 in Hexa (I used an online-converter), but how I do you get to D027C?
    3. How do you make reverse hex?
    4. Do I really have to use A-Map 1.92 or is A-Map 1.95 fine?

As for the beginning of the game, I probably won't use Gen.4 - Gen.6, I just wanted to test if the rom was patched with no errors.

As for the ini's I have absolutely no idea how to create such a thing. I'll ask the creator for the ini then.

But thank you for your response. This already helps a lot.

Years
  • Wow, this sounds very confusing 😱

So I have a few questions:
    1. Is Notepad++ a Hex-Editor or which one do you recommend?
    2. I get that 550 (Decimal) is 226 in Hexa (I used an online-converter), but how I do you get to D027C?
    3. How do you make reverse hex?
    4. Do I really have to use A-Map 1.92 or is A-Map 1.95 fine?

1. No, Notepad++ is not a hex editor. It's just a better notepad for writing code. HMA (HexMainacAdvance) or HxD are good hex editors, and I suggest you start with one of them, or use both at the same time.
    2. I meant D027C as an offset. Though it is a hex number, most such numbers are used as offsets. By opening a hex editor, you will get a better understanding of it.
    3. Reverse hex just means reversing a hex number. Meaning this number, 8910AC, will become AC1089. But why not CA0198? This is because a single digit value is known as a "bit", and the hexadecimal format works with "bytes", that is, the combination of two values (quoted from somewhere else).
    4. If your Pokémon expanded data is below 0xFFFFFF (an offset) in your ROM, then A-Map 1.92 will work fine.

It seems you have little knowledge about hex. I suggest you take a look at some tutorials before proceeding.

As for the beginning of the game, I probably won't use Gen.4 - Gen.6, I just wanted to test if the rom was patched with no errors.

As for the ini's I have absolutely no idea how to create such a thing. I'll ask the creator for the ini then.

But thank you for your response. This already helps a lot.

Isn't there an .ini with the download? The creator may not be active to give you the .ini.

Years
  • Thank you @AzzKun & @PokeChu, this helps me already a lot :)

I recently found a better rombase, which provides ini-files and already a bunch of programms to use, so I go with that.

I have a bit knowledge about Hex. I learned a bit about Bits and Bytes and on how to convert decimals into binary, binary into hex, decinal into hex, ...

For me I want to see direct results. This is why I'll begin with mapping and changing visual things first. To change the encounter Pokemons should just be a verification thing for me to see if the game was patch successfully. With the Hopeless Trainer Editor I could see that the game was patched right :)

Years
  • Thank you @AzzKun & @PokeChu, this helps me already a lot :)

I recently found a better rombase, which provides ini-files and already a bunch of programms to use, so I go with that.

I have a bit knowledge about Hex. I learned a bit about Bits and Bytes and on how to convert decimals into binary, binary into hex, decinal into hex, ...

For me I want to see direct results. This is why I'll begin with mapping and changing visual things first. To change the encounter Pokemons should just be a verification thing for me to see if the game was patch successfully. With the Hopeless Trainer Editor I could see that the game was patched right :)

Good to know. I believe it's the Leon base?

Back