• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ►SPEAKEASIER◄ ║ A Graphic Novel

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2011
    Hey there, everyone.

I'm going off of the advice to put this here since it's more of a 'serious business' comic, and because it will occasionally be interspersed with articles, excerpts etc. from the world within the story. The emphasis here is more on story than it is on art (though I could get all Scott McCloud on you here, I won't, lol). Mods, if you think it would be better suited elsewhere, please move it.

Speakeasier is:
    -Heavily AU.
    -Rated PG-15.
    -Based around human characters.

The introduction, which I will finish tonight, is meant to be in a more dreamy style. After the introduction I will switch to black and white pages done in Manga Studio, which will be somewhat larger in size.

With that in mind, please enjoy.

►SPEAKEASIER◄ ║ A Graphic Novel

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2011

There's the last - and rather predictable - part of the intro, though I do rather like that last panel.

Expect the first page in Manga Studio to be up shortly. Please, if you've got any comments, even if it's just "this is rubbish and I have no idea where you're going with this, boo darkfic and why is everyone smoking are you trying to promote lung cancer or something!?", come out of the woodwork and post them - I'd love to hear it. :)

Edit - Here we go, the first 'real' page done in Manga Studio.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2011
    Being altogether too productive today. Meet your protagonist who should hopefully be familiar.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Certainly unusual to see a graphic novel here but I suppose there's always a first. =p

Thus far I like what you have - the drawings are nice even if you say you're not focusing on it, and it's used fairly effectively too (I particularly liked the usage of Pidgey flying away in response to the gun shot). The small details such as '13 missed calls' on the phone is also a neat inclusion, so kudos on that.

As for the writing... it's an interesting start thus far. After all I can't argue with an Ash as a politician, never mind a dead pollie. =p Wonder how Misty will react to the news? I do question the current view by society in the story that Pokemon were being subjected to slavery but it is an AU - I am interested to see if you expand on that however within the story beyond what was given in the introduction (as well as other character's views on it, like Misty's). I also liked the dialogue in the death scene ('This is your stop', and his dialogue in protest to what the driver does after... which also had a nice touch with the bolded text for the former, imo.)

In short - I like what you have so far! Good luck with the rest of it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2011
    Thank you so much for your very kind comment, BobandBill!! :> I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. The world is indeed a very, very AU one, so I'm going to have fun with it, I think. :)

Sorry for being unavoidably delayed, so it's over a week for this update. ;_;

Here's the next page.

I'm hoping to set up a nice rhythm soon. If anyone has suggestions about where to host a comic so weekly updates can be set up in advance, I'd be grateful. <3

Back