• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

★ // Sophisticated Idioms

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    ALRIGHTY THEN!

This tag has many good elements, but also a few things that could be tweaked a little bit just to make it feel more solid.

First of all are the C4Ds. They feel a little bit messy and I wouldn't say complement the flow as the should / could. You've done a great job of setting up the flow, but I'd argue it would follow the line of the body from bottom left to top right (/). As you've got the effects currently, it does draw the eye into the stock which is good, however I feel that looking at it as a whole doesn't have the depth or the blending that doing it the other way would yield.
    Also regarding the C4Ds, there are some little flecks and bits over the hair which feel a little random and messy which could simply be erased, just to tidy the whole thing up a little bit.
    Also, some of the C4Ds have really rough edges either from rotating too much or from over sharpening, there's not really much you can do, but in the future, just be wary of the quality of the effects and the tag overall. It isn't really too much of an issue in this tag, but it could be later on...

Some minor things in little detail.
    - The yellow pentooling around arm / body is really good, however there is one thing I'd add, which it looks like you started but didn't complete. That is an outer glow, which it seems you've got on the bit that extends off the arm, but nowhere else. The glow will just blend it in a little more so it doesn't draw so much attention, but also makes it look more like a beam of light type thing rather than just a line. Colour of the glow can be anything really, as long as it is a light colour.

- The colour scheme overall is a tiny bit monotonous. Really this is just because the background is nearly solid colour without many details, so just adding more background effects with varying tones should help that out a little bit. Also, the beige smudging directly behind the guy is a little weak, just because it gets rid of blending between him and background. Again, if you add more details in the background, it will fix that up too though.

Lastly, and the good stuff, the text is quite good! While I can't say I feel the second line of text underneath Shaman King, the rest of it is really good. I would've gone with a simple white / solid colour text just for simplicity reasons, yours works! Lastly though, I would've moved it just a little bit to the right / up so the last letter sits on edge of his body, and up so it fits closer into that nook under his arm. But really, there is a lot to like and commend about your font choice and placement and stuff, so kudos! :D

I don't know if you remember CME (Zebra Thunderhead, go search for her gallery/shop if you want icon inspiration) but these two very much remind me of her icons, which I would personally call the best at PC period. Not a whole lot to say, other than these are a great step in the right direction. The grey background, notably the actual hue/shade itself is magic. While the colours of the actual focals need a bit of work, tiny bit of sharpening, both a little smaller and maybe popping the colours more in the second, these are definitely very good and definitely worth pursuing the style for a little bit in your icons!

Sorry that was a little late, but hope it's all good! Keep making more, you're improving wonderfully! :D

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Ahhhh, thanks moments! I'm actually going to comment on a few of your crits, because some of them just make me go 'ahhh seriously?' but in a good way!

ALRIGHTY THEN!

This tag has many good elements, but also a few things that could be tweaked a little bit just to make it feel more solid.

First of all are the C4Ds. They feel a little bit messy and I wouldn't say complement the flow as the should / could. You've done a great job of setting up the flow, but I'd argue it would follow the line of the body from bottom left to top right (/). As you've got the effects currently, it does draw the eye into the stock which is good, however I feel that looking at it as a whole doesn't have the depth or the blending that doing it the other way would yield.

this omg. When I first started the tag I actually had the stock position to the left, so the flow would be coming from his hair (aka, bottom left to top right). However, I couldn't seem to get that going, so I switched over and went from there. I might just take this tag and redo it, and try to find a way to have the flow go that way like originally planned.

Also regarding the C4Ds, there are some little flecks and bits over the hair which feel a little random and messy which could simply be erased, just to tidy the whole thing up a little bit.
    Those flecks might actually be from the actual stock. I tried covering them up, but again I couldn't managed. Maybe I'll either edit the stock, or try to do something about them when redoing this with a different flow.

Also, some of the C4Ds have really rough edges either from rotating too much or from over sharpening, there's not really much you can do, but in the future, just be wary of the quality of the effects and the tag overall. It isn't really too much of an issue in this tag, but it could be later on...
    Ah-haaa. I noticed this too. The C4D looked a little oversharpened to me, and I was right. Not sure what the cause was, I was thinking it was the layer type it was, but it would be from rotating too much as well. I don't think I sharpened it though. I don't quite remember.

As for the rest of the comments, I don't really have much to say other than 'thanks and I'll keep working at it!' :D

I don't know if you remember CME (Zebra Thunderhead, go search for her gallery/shop if you want icon inspiration) but these two very much remind me of her icons, which I would personally call the best at PC period. Not a whole lot to say, other than these are a great step in the right direction. The grey background, notably the actual hue/shade itself is magic. While the colours of the actual focals need a bit of work, tiny bit of sharpening, both a little smaller and maybe popping the colours more in the second, these are definitely very good and definitely worth pursuing the style for a little bit in your icons!
    The funny thing about this one is that I actually made a smaller version of it not too long after I made this one! However, I saved it as a .pdf for some reason and not a png, which is why I didn't show it. I'll show it with this round of graphics though!

Again, thanks so much! I'm definitely keeping your comments in mind while making more tags and icons!

And speaking of which (I need to really update the first post after this):

I'm currently having a love/hate relationship with this one. Maybe after you crit me on it I'll be able to change that.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years

This is SO much better than the works you posted when you made this thread. I'm sure you realize it yourself. ;)

But yeah, since I'm here to point out some things that could help you, I'd like to say that:
    1) It probably might've helped the tag if you had added a light source somewhere. I mean, it looks fine as it is, but adding a light source and burning/dodging some areas really help to bring out the focal. I do it in nearly all of my works. ;P
    2) Foreground effects. You've got some nice background effects in this one. But there's a lack of foreground ones. Throw some in it and it'll probably look nicer. :)
    3) The text, if possible, should be situated close to the focal. You know, if text is away from the focal, it draws attention of the viewer's eyes from the main focal of the tag. It should be avoided. Consider it an unwritten rule. ;) And, if possible, refrain from inserting too much text. If you do, make the text size smaller so it doesn't take too much space in the tag.

What I really like about this tag is that you've got some nice colors, nice background effects and a good flow. See if what I've written above helps and yeah, keep it up!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Just gonna toss up some icons. I haven't made any tags/fixed any since I've been busy and lazy. I'll try to do so when I have more time.

My Little Pony

Tales of Symphonia

The quality of some of these (particularly the Mithos ones) was due to a bad quality stock. Don't mind them.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    your graphics are amazing. i love the use of the brushes in the background for some of the signature and tags. i love the bright colors xD i know some people don't like their graphics bright, but i love it. nicely done.

Back