• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

10 forever? Come on, Ash!

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I thought this'll be locked already because:
    Chill pills. its not Ash's fault, blame the writers
    ^_^

But this:
    Let him age damn it, let someone else like... Gary, take the Simpson Pill for the kids. Or some alternate universe with a new trainer. I personally would like Ash better if he showed some sort of sign of aging. That's what's always been ticking me since Jotho.
    Makes sense. Like, the Simpsons pull this way better than Pokemon as they're not on a journey. Since as is on a journey he needs to progress on every aspect.

Some would argue his change in voice would be a sign of maturity for Ash, but I'd beg to differ. I feel like it wouldn't hurt for the writers to acknowledge Ash as at least a couple years older since he started his journey. Actually, since he's been showing signs of growth in his battling style, the best factor to back up his maturity since Day One would be for him to age a little. I don't think it's necessary that he stays 10 forever. D:
    Yeah, I thought his voice was meant to be a sign as well :\

Actually, after reading this:
    He should age every generation. I mean 1 generation - 1 year. By that logic he should be 14 now.
    I see why he hasn't aged. 14 is too extreme for a kids show. 12/13 however, is perfectly fine.

To me, 10 years old is a BS age. You mean to tell me you can look at Ash/Gary/May/Dawn(to an extent) and tell me that they are 10 years old by the way they look and carry themselves?
    Word.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    But if he ages, hanging out with 10 year olf girls would get, well, predatory

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
    Years
    The target audience can identify more with a 10-yr-old kid more than a 19-yr-old THING!

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
    I think that he should be older, but not any older than 15. It's just, they've been traveling for way more than one year, so he really shouldn't be 10. Even I was confused by this when I was little.

Years
    Actually he has aged in the movies and in personality :P
    in the Pikachu special movies the pichu brothers one, he celebrated his and pikachu's anniversary when they first met and they first met on Ash's 10th birthday. So of course he has aged..
    It's not uncommon for years to past in cartoons without the characters aging a bit. Ash has probably been traveling for 4 to 5 years.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Actually he has aged in the movies and in personality :P
    in the Pikachu special movies the pichu brothers one, he celebrated his and pikachu's anniversary when they first met and they first met on Ash's 10th birthday. So of course he has aged..

Yeah, except both the official Japanese AG and DP websites mentioned that Ash and May, and Ash and Dawn, respectively, are the same age, indicating that Ash is 10, due to May and Dawn being 10 as well.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I think Ash should be aging every 3 seasons- it goes hand-in-hand with his and Pikachu's anniversary before movie 3. It makes sense and is a slow enough progression that it doesn't seem too weird.
    And May=10... ohh, I have problems with that one. I personally have a great figure, and there is no way that a 10-year-old has a better body than me! Any 10-year-old with that size chest would actually be pretty chubby. 14 she could get away with, 12 would be stretching it, 10... no way.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    From what I have read at Bulbapedia, it ages in the Japanese version. Is the American one that has the "forever 10" problem.

The problem is that even the Japanese version hints that they are ageless. For example, those AG and DP websites that listed that, respectively Ash and May, and Ash and Dawn were the same age (ie, 10)? Those were the Japanese Websites.

Plus America also has Ash and Co. "Aging" when the Japanese version didn't (Ash's statement about how it's been a year since they stopped at Viridian City in "The Battle of the Badge" comes to mind).

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
    Years
    Ash cant be 15 or else it wont be a kids show anymore, maybe something a little closer like maybe 12/13. I also thought that the change in ash's voice might consider him to be older.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Ash cant be 15 or else it wont be a kids show anymore, maybe something a little closer like maybe 12/13. I also thought that the change in ash's voice might consider him to be older.

How does it being a kids show have anything to do with Ash not aging? I mean, the Simpsons and Family Guy do not really have the characters age, and those are grown up shows.

CptnSmonge

Pineapple Pirate
    Years
    Golly, I must be the only person who believes that he has noticeably aged since the first episode. I'd say he's at least fifteen by now. He's gone from being impulsive and obnoxious to being albeit a bit tactless but also more restrained and patient.

Here's a thought, though. Has anybody else felt that the show has gradually been focusing less and less on Ash's character and more on just taking a bunch of different adventures and acting them out through him rather than by him?

wobbadude1

Everybody Polkamon!
    Years
    I think maybe he doesn't celebrate birthdays and if he does he doesn't show it on screen. He must have aged though- his voice has broken!

Back