• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

12-Type Challenge (Revived)

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    The rules for this challenge contain mild spoilers concerning bonus bosses in games that have them. If you wish to find bonus bosses on your own, do not view this thread.

The original 12-type challenge was made by TheRykeet and can be found here.

This is a challenge that is either really easy or really hard, depending on how you approach it. The rules are:

1. You may only catch 6 Pokémon (excluding HM slaves and other exceptions noted below.) Once you have 6 in your party, others can be caught as long as they stay boxed for the duration of the challenge. Also, you must catch at least four to prevent solo/duo runs from qualifying for this challenge.
    2. They must be dual-type. Evolutions from single-type into dual-type Pokémon are allowed.
    3. No type can be repeated; there must be twelve types on the team assuming you use all 6 Pokémon allowed to you. This rule applies for the entire run, so having a Bulbasaur and Gastly (for example) is banned unless you drop one of the Pokémon as soon as possible. HM slaves do not count against this rule.
    4. No Pokésav or other methods of cheating, except for changing the DS clock in B/W for the purposes of seasons. Glitching is also banned.
    5. Pokémon used in the challenge cannot be traded from another game or bred from a Pokémon traded from another game. This includes eggs. Trade evolutions are allowed. (In RBY, trading is allowed for opposite-version exclusives only once they are obtainable in the opposite version, to allow a full roster of 12 types.)
    6. Your team can include only one legendary.
    7. Magnemite and Magneton are not allowed in Gen I, as they are not dual-types until Gen II. Rotom's alternate forms are considered Electric/Ghost in Gen IV.
    8. The challenge ends when you beat the champion (RBY, RS, FRLG, DPPt), Red (GSC, HGSS), or Steven (Emerald). In BW, both Alder and Cynthia must be beaten.

The exceptions to Rule 1 are: HM slaves, gifts including eggs and your starter, forced-encounter legendaries, the Pokémon from the Safari Zone tutorial in HGSS, and Pokémon blocking your path such as Snorlax and Sudowoodo. Shedinja can be obtained from a Nincada evolution, but either it or the Ninjask must be boxed ASAP as they are both Bug-types.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
    Spoiler:

I will be attempting this challenge on a Hoenn game with an unknown team and on White with a team of Scrafty, Carracosta, Ferrothorn, Golurk, Braviary, and Volcarona. (Obviously, that limits me to a starter and a gift monkey for the first gym, both of which will likely be used as HM slaves once I catch Scrafty. Zekrom is legal on this team, but I will likely use it only for N and Ghetsis if at all.)

CHALLENGERS:

Spoiler:

HALL OF FAME:

None so far

Good luck to everyone doing a 12-type run. I do not take credit for the concept of this challenge. Please update with info on your run at least once every few weeks to prevent the thread from dying.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
    So if you already beat this challenge, but posted it on the other thread, you don't get into the 'Hall of Fame'? I've completed this challenge with Blaziken, Aggron, Pelipper, Shiftry, Claydol, and Shedinja on Emerald.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    Dual-Type Sweepers, yes please:

Going to hack my heart gold with level threes:

12-Type Challenge (Revived)

Last edited:
    Back