• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Questions] 1st edition Korean Booster Box (Potentially one of a kind)

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    I just moments ago purchased A Base Set Booster Box in Korean and it's 1st edition. I paid around $350.00 AU shipping included.

Now I find it odd that i look through Google images and ebay and find nothing in Korean Language anything close to Base Set though I spot Charizard in French, Spanish, Italian, German and Japanese. In fact i struggle to find any old card from the base set in Korean in Google Images.

So I wonder is it worth alot?. Knowing i could have hold of the last sealed Korean 1st edition box in the world? There is absolute zero trace of anything sold recently through google and no visible pictures of the cards in the language.

Also taking into the fact the English unlimited Box is fetching around $600 without shipping on ebay also.

After hours of considering the offer, I took it for the gamble that it is.

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I collect old booster boxes and a couple years ago I decided to buy all the international boxes of the old series. I did find a Korean 1st edition base set booster box on eBay and was wary at first because I've never seen one. When I opened the box, the cards were so fake. Even the booster packs were wrong. Thank god I only spent $130 but I shouldve wondered why it was so cheap.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of that box but I may be able to help you out to identify if it's real or not. What's the best way I can contact you?

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Probably just inbox mate. The box looks relatively legit and it looks sealed but that might not be enough. I am not too worried because Paypal will certainly cover me if they are counterfeit. It's just more the embarrasment of buying fake cards. Karma will hit for the seller, not worried about that.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    One way to tell is if the Pokemon logo is red. A lot of old booster boxes that are fake use a red logo because wizards of the coast used a red logo for only the jungle box and only for some of them. There's some loophole where the people who make the fake boxes with this red logo are not held responsible because it's not the "official" Pokemon logo. Kind of weird lol. I got screwed once on a German base 1st edition base set booster box. If you look on eBay, they don't have red logos. Mine did. Good things only spent 90 bucks.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Thanks so much guys I've pulled the pin on the deal. You have been a massive help.

I have given the seller the benefit of the doubt because he bought 5 of those boxes off his seller 12 years ago and only got down to the one box now so I have every reason to believe he doesn't think it's counterfeit. He did offer a refund when i first had doubts then I received an Inbox message from Fd0977 describing his box exactly how the one i purchased look like. So I should receive the refund without any dramas.

He comes across very professional so I don't hold any negativity towards him, Very confident he isn't aware of it being counterfeit.

Now I will know what to look out for in the future also.

A massive thankyou to everyone

-------

Mate. Disregard the last message I sent you.

I have received an email from a guy who received a Korean box around two years ago. He stated the box as being counterfeit and described the box exactly how your box is detailed.

I also have real reason to believe that Wizards of the Coast ONLY released the red Pokemon logo in the Base Jungle Boxes, He received the exact same box as I would be receiving and his was Counterfeit.

I will have to take up that refund offer because I can't run the risk. I am sure you are a very respected seller and I hold no negative feelings regarding your service. But I would definitely look into it because you may of gotten counterfeit items.

Thankyou.

- XXXXX

Years
    The Korean cards may not have used the Wizards of the Coast packaging, though. They may have been licensed by a Korean company from the creators of the Japanese version (Media Factory) initially, based on the roundabout way that other legitimate Pokemon merchandise made its way into Korea. They did have to circumvent a trade ban between the two countries, after all.

Not sure on the details, though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    The Korean cards may not have used the Wizards of the Coast packaging, though. They may have been licensed by a Korean company from the creators of the Japanese version (Media Factory) initially, based on the roundabout way that other legitimate Pokemon merchandise made its way into Korea. They did have to circumvent a trade ban between the two countries, after all.

Not sure on the details, though.

I'd still rather not take the risk. Dissapointing because I was pretty keen on the box but if it means not delaying a process of getting a refund then so be it.

It's such a long process with Paypal to get a refund and by the time the box gets there and so on. So would rather not muck around with it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    I think I would go for it if I were you and it's covered by paypal. There is a small and highly selective market for Korean pokemon cards, and they aren't the easiest things to come by. They sometimes come across as fake because 1. they aren't one of the languages recognized as tournament legal by pokemon, and 2. they use their own set symbols and set lists for each set they release because they have a separate production company. This would include packaging details.
    Now, I'm not saying there are NO fake Korean pokemon cards out there. However, if they are coming from a reputable seller, they are likely not fake. I have a few friends who collect Korean sets and they have to search for ages to find them because they are produced in small quantities, but they are really nice cards. The set symbols make them particularly interesting.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Bulbapedia has images of 1st edition Korean Base Set booster packs:

I can't post urls yet so add the slashes - http: i.imgur.com/5QuWD.jpg

But they have that red logo that someone on this thread mentioned being fake.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Bulbapedia has images of 1st edition Korean Base Set booster packs:

I can't post urls yet so add the slashes - http: i.imgur.com/5QuWD.jpg

But they have that red logo that someone on this thread mentioned being fake.

Thanks for that, I ended up passing on it but i think i made an error of judgement either way we posted positive feedback on one another's account so all was in good spirit.

I kind of do regret buying it but that's how it goes i guess.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    I just moments ago purchased A Base Set Booster Box in Korean and it's 1st edition. I paid around $350.00 AU shipping included.

Now I find it odd that i look through Google images and ebay and find nothing in Korean Language anything close to Base Set though I spot Charizard in French, Spanish, Italian, German and Japanese. In fact i struggle to find any old card from the base set in Korean in Google Images.

So I wonder is it worth alot?. Knowing i could have hold of the last sealed Korean 1st edition box in the world? There is absolute zero trace of anything sold recently through google and no visible pictures of the cards in the language.

Also taking into the fact the English unlimited Box is fetching around $600 without shipping on ebay also.

After hours of considering the offer, I took it for the gamble that it is.

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    Buy all the base set booster boxes you can $600 is nothing compared to what they will be November 2020 you'll thank me then,it might seem like its awhile to go but its not heck buy all the old expansions,trust me. sincerely a guy from the future 2020..

Back