• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen (FireRed), whats the best pokemon to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    I'm starting another save on it (i try and try and try, but have never beaten it once), and im nuzlocking it, so what pokemon will be a good choice to start with?

Years
    A few things...
    1. Firered= 3rd gen
    2. In theorigional red and blue the easiest starter is Bulbasaur then Squirtle, then charmander
    3. In 3rd gen charmander gainsmetal claw early in game so he is now probably your bestbet

Hope I helped!

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2016
    Here's how I see it:

The definitive starter for the Kanto games is Charmander. Maybe it's overrated, but it gives your adventure a lot more meaning. It's the only one that will face a challenge at the first gym, making a player realize that to become a true trainer, they must catch em all! Plus it means that Red chooses the red starter, and Blue chooses the blue starter (matchy :3)

So if you want the classic adventure, go Charmander. Of course, if you're just looking to beat the game as easily as possible, I guess Squirtle. While Bulbasaur will get you through the first 2 gyms and have a resistance to Lt. Surge, you'll begin to struggle as you face later gyms like Erika, Sabrina (psychic>poison), Koga, and Blaine.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    I think it's all about strategy. I fore example love the fire starters (mostly) because they have a wider variety of attacking moves, while Squirtle is more on the defense side and Bulbasaur has a lot of status-changing moves. It's all a matter of strategy. Maybe you're an offensive nuzlocker, risking it all for the prize? Then pick Charmander. If you wanna play safe and steady, go Squirtle. Or if you want to play completely in control and planning ahead every move in order to have the least amount of casulaties, Bulbasaur is your pokemon. GLAD I COULD HELP! :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    thanks for the help.
    i like to attack first and think later (that kind of nuzlocker)
    but i also like status pokemon (good this FR has venonat and paris)
    so i think my choice should be charmander, hopefully this is the last time i have to attempt FR

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Bulbasaur is the starter in Kanto that makes the game easiest. Statistically proven. Strong against the first three gyms and has nifty status moves.

There is an active thread in Pokémon Gaming Central discussing what the best starters in the games are, so if you still haven't decided you can check that. You can also check the Advance Generation section for FireRed talk. Remember Pokémon General is for talk about things that go beyond gaming.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back