• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports 2015 Rugby World Cup discussion thread

Years
    So one of the most anticipated sports events this year is the 2015 Rugby World Cup. Basically the "FIFA" or "Olympics" of rugby, it is held only once every four years. Not sure if anyone here follows rugby, but if you do, you can use this thread to post anything regarding the World Cup.

As of September 19th 2015, the Pool matches are being played out; Ireland 50-7 Canada, Tonga 17-10 against Georgia, and England 35-11 Fiji. The biggest highlight so far in my opinion is Japan's 34-32 upset over South Africa. As I type this, France leads Italy 32-10 in the second half, 74 minutes into the game.

Last edited:

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    *Gasp* No-one's commented in here? For shame.

Just watching the 2nd half of the England vs Australia match. Gotta watch history, yanno, with England looking to claim the mantle for the first host game to lose two matches in the first round AND be the first host nation to be kicked out of the tourney in the preliminary stage.

I'd love to see Japan go far. They're the dark horse team of this tourney, but I'm afraid they'll get destroyed when facing some of the more decidedly stronger teams.

Years
    You have to admit there has been so many twists in this World Cup, like Japan upstaging South Africa. But now history has been made, with Australia's win over England.

We have managed to become the first team to eliminate the host in the pool stages, something which has never happened in the competition ever. Australia appears to already be in a strong position to top the pool, so definitely happy with that.

Years
    I'd love to see Japan go far. They're the dark horse team of this tourney, but I'm afraid they'll get destroyed when facing some of the more decidedly stronger teams.
    I'm pretty sure South Africa has to lose again for Japan to go through. Which... won't happen, haha. It's a shame too, I didn't even know Japan played rugby but their match against South Africa was amazing.

Years
    Wow, completely forgot about this thread xD

Looks like we have the giants fighting it out at the Quarter Finals ^^ At the 17th, we have South Africa vs Wales, and New Zealand vs France. Ireland vs Argentina and Australia vs Scotland take place on the 18th.

It would have been amazing if Japan made it though; their defensive game has been very strong this year. Unfortunately, they fell two points shy behind Scotland at the end of the Pool matches...

Years
    It would have been amazing if Japan made it though; their defensive game has been very strong this year. Unfortunately, they fell two points shy behind Scotland at the end of the Pool matches...

You would know that even if Japan were to have made it through instead of Scotland, they would still likely get humiliated by Australia (I expected we were going to finish first in our pool so I'm happy we topped it) so I guess you could be happy that they didn't get through or else they would have been stomped badly by a top 3 ranked team.

I am still happy Australia topped Pool A (along with making history by eliminating the host in the pool stage for the first time ever) because let's face it, facing South Africa in the quarters would be much scarier than Scotland but you never know.

Years
    You would know that even if Japan were to have made it through instead of Scotland, they would still likely get humiliated by Australia (I expected we were going to finish first in our pool so I'm happy we topped it) so I guess you could be happy that they didn't get through or else they would have been stomped badly by a top 3 ranked team.

I am still happy Australia topped Pool A (along with making history by eliminating the host in the pool stage for the first time ever) because let's face it, facing South Africa in the quarters would be much scarier than Scotland but you never know.
    To be honest I think it would've still been beneficial in a way for Japan to play a top-tier team in the Quarter Finals regardless of what the result might have been; like Leviathan mentioned, they are an underdog team in the World Cup. At least they weren't completely flattened and walked all over like the States and Canada during the Pool matches (granted, the latter two aren't really that big into the sport).

I have yet to see any matches involving Australia or New Zealand. For some reason, my TV provider either throws them into some PPV channel or just doesn't broadcast them.

Years
    I have yet to see any matches involving Australia or New Zealand. For some reason, my TV provider either throws them into some PPV channel or just doesn't broadcast them.

We weren't in the same pool as New Zealand (they are in C while Australia was in A iirc) so it means at this rate the only possibility we have of going up against them in this tournament is the final. They always outperform Australia in most of their showdowns so having it happen earlier than the final is pretty much awful to see.

Last edited:

Leviathan

Years
    I'm amused that it'll be southern hemisphere nation that'll win the tourney either way. The host country must be none too pleased. I kinda wish that Ireland would've broken the curse of never making it past the quarter finals, but their performance all unravelled in the last 20 mins of the match against Argentina. The Scotland game was far more thrilling to watch, though I'm a lil' salty that they lost to Australia by a single point.

Years
    As expected, it's a New Zealand vs Australia final again. I do wonder if people are getting bored of this rivalry often ending a World Cup, with a predictable NZ victory almost every time.

Leviathan

Years
    As expected, it's a New Zealand vs Australia final again. I do wonder if people are getting bored of this rivalry often ending a World Cup, with a predictable NZ victory almost every time.

They're like the Kilkenny (a county team here, for a different sport) of the rugby world; they simply can't be beat, at least right now. It would be interesting to see New Zealand play off against other nations in a round robin style tournament. If they come out winning such a contest, then one can certainly confirm they are the the rugby union team in the present day.

Years
    Austrailia FTW

I won't be so sure. Something is telling me New Zealand will likely outperform them again, since it's like every time we take on the All Blacks they always win. Leviathan easily compared them to an unbeatable team from another football code.

Back