• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen 2nd gen glitch pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerme

stupid
Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    back in the day i had gold and silver. i remember me and my bro were battling with the link cable. i think i pulled out my cord, and plugged it back in, and the battle went by normally until he switched his pokemon, then some really weird stuff began to happen. i remember he sent out a level 0 grey tangela, it had no health and never fainted. then there was a green ryhorn that made a pidgyotto cry. and then there was a tentacruel, with half of its health missing. every time it gets hit, it lost some health, but it just regenerated to how it was before. i think they all OH k'oed my pokemon. it was epic..and i think we did it again and got the same results..

can someone that has all of these tools try this, and see if they get the same results?

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    how would you know?

i saw it with my own eyes..2 times

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    i know, that was way back in the gameboy days. that's why im wondering if someone who happends to have all these things (2 gameboys, gold or silver version, crystal, link cable) can do it and see if it happens to them.. or ill just have to buy them all myself, play through both gold and crystal which will take way too long

edit: or if its possible to do this with an emulator, i'll do it

Last edited:

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
  • No, something like this happened with me and my brother too when we were using a third-party game link cable battling in the car. I have this tendency to constantly push my cable into my Game Boy's port to make sure it stays in all the way, and I think fiddling with it is what caused the glitchiness, because about halfway through the battle we were both sending out glitchy, level zero Pokémon on each other's games and stuff. He turned his off right when it started, but I kept mine on to see what happened, and the Pokémon he was sending out were like Poliwhirl and Butterfree with their colors totally messed up and fainting almost instantly. It was messed up, but kinda cool at the same time. Either way, I remember it very clearly, and I've actually been kinda curious as to why I've never seen it brought up anywhere else. I agree that people should do more tests, but I'm not sure it's something you could replicate in an emulator, because I think it all depends on how firmly the link cable is in the Game Boy, as well as the timing - if you outright unplug it, obviously you just end up with a connection error.

So yeah, this is definitely true, ignore the nay-sayers. I'm sure it's all just a result of the information getting transferred through the cable getting all wacky and messed up due to the game not checking to make sure that the link cable's plugged in correctly every single second, so the short moment it's unplugged, the games both think they're still receiving information from the other when they're really not.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    No, something like this happened with me and my brother too when we were using a third-party game link cable battling in the car. I have this tendency to constantly push my cable into my Game Boy's port to make sure it stays in all the way, and I think fiddling with it is what caused the glitchiness, because about halfway through the battle we were both sending out glitchy, level zero Pokémon on each other's games and stuff. He turned his off right when it started, but I kept mine on to see what happened, and the Pokémon he was sending out were like Poliwhirl and Butterfree with their colors totally messed up and fainting almost instantly. It was messed up, but kinda cool at the same time. Either way, I remember it very clearly, and I've actually been kinda curious as to why I've never seen it brought up anywhere else. I agree that people should do more tests, but I'm not sure it's something you could replicate in an emulator, because I think it all depends on how firmly the link cable is in the Game Boy, as well as the timing - if you outright unplug it, obviously you just end up with a connection error.

So yeah, this is definitely true, ignore the nay-sayers. I'm sure it's all just a result of the information getting transferred through the cable getting all wacky and messed up due to the game not checking to make sure that the link cable's plugged in correctly every single second, so the short moment it's unplugged, the games both think they're still receiving information from the other when they're really not.

yep, i think i was also using a 3rd party cable, if that even matters. and i also remember a glitch butterfree, i think it was green.

Last edited:
    Years
  • They are just ur eyes.

You have no screenshots or pictures to prove it and i dont know u well enough to take your word.

Unless you can prove it ( and prove me wrong in which i will apologise ) then I say you are lieing.

The link cable did some weird stuff in the games if it got knocked loose, so this wouldn't surprise me. And this is also how PokeRus infected Pokemon worked in GSC (PokeRus was terribly misapplied in GSC, and really messed up your save file).

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2014
    These games were quite glitchy and the link battles did have a few problems with random colours of pokemons lol

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    The link cable did some weird stuff in the games if it got knocked loose, so this wouldn't surprise me. And this is also how PokeRus infected Pokemon worked in GSC (PokeRus was terribly misapplied in GSC, and really messed up your save file).

what was this? i don't remember it..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back