• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen's Making a Comeback! (GSC RMT)

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    So this is my GSC team I made. Most sets are copypasta from Smogon but I have made some small alterations to the Smogon sets as I saw fit. As you already know EVs and Natures didn't exist then and the choice of held items was rather limited so most of it is Leftovers. I tested this team using none other than Pokemon Stadium 2.

Gengar @ Leftovers
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Punch
    -Fire Punch
    -Shadow Ball / Hypnosis / Explosion

The idea is to hit anything I could face in the lead hard. T-Bolt and Ice Punch give that famed BoltBeam coverage and Fire Punch puts serious dents in Steelix, Forry, Skarmory, and etc Steels. In the last slot I'm torn between the above mentioned moves. Although Ghost is Physical in this Gen, Shadow Ball can put a hurting on Alakazam, who is used a lot more in GSC than in the current metagame. Explosion is for Blissey mostly and would let Gengar go out with a bang after it has surpassed its usefulness. Hypnosis helps to counter the every so common SleepTalkers.

Charizard @ Leftovers
    -Belly Drum
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Fire Blast

BellyZard is the main sweeper of this team. Since Stealth Rock doesn't exist yet, Charizard can shine in GSC. Its attacking moves have pretty good coverage. Fire Blast takes care of Steels or anything else with high Defense that could wall its physical moves, like Skarmory.

Wobbuffet @ Miracle Berry
    -Safeguard
    -Counter
    -Mirror Coat
    -Destiny Bond

Not much to say about Wobb but it's lack of Encore and Shadow Tag don't make it broken like it is now. Wobb still gets the job done and it will most likely be taking at least one of my opponent's Pokemon down, and might be able to take down a second with Destiny Bond. If I suspect a status abuser, I'll use Safeguard. Miracle Berry is there to get rid of the initial status since Wobb won't be faster enough to set up Safeguard before getting hit.

Alakazam @ Focus Band
    -Psychic
    -Fire Punch
    -Recover
    -Thunder Wave

Charizard is the Phsyical sweeper and Alakazam is the Special sweeper. Not many thing like switching in on a STAB Psychic and having to take a second hit before they can attack. In fact, most things not Steel, Psychic, Dark type, or Blissey are KO'd by that. The fact that Calm Mind doesn't exist yet hampers Zam's sweeping potential but T-Wave picks up the slack by making sure the few things that are faster than Zam (like Electrode, Jolteon, Aero) are no longer a threat if it catches then on the switch and paralysis helps the rest of the team out. Fire Punch takes care of Steels and can at least do some damage to Darks. Recover is still useful since Calm Mind and Nasty Plot don't exist yet meaning Zam's okay Special Defense won't be penetrated by boosted Special sweepers and it can stall them out.

Foretress @ Mint Berry
    -Spikes
    -Explosion
    -Rapid Spin
    -Rest

Standard Spiking Forry. Rest and Mint Berry for maximum longetivity so it can get Spikes in and wall Physical moves. Rapid Spin is to get rid of opposing Spikes and Explosion is when Forry's finished doing its job.

Blissey @ Leftovers
    -Softboiled
    -Heal Bell
    -Toxic
    -Ice Beam

Another standard set. Toxic is to spread the status around. Softboiled is to stall out Special attackers. Heal Bell gets rid of any status on my team and Ice Beam provides some offense and puts a nice dent in Dragonite.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today

Gengar @ Leftovers
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Punch / Fire Punch
    - Explosion
    - Hypnosis

Please. Shadow Ball doesn't help with anything tbh.

Hypnosis helps to counter the every so common SleepTalkers.

/facepalm.

Sleep Talkers counter YOU. :/

Charizard @ Leftovers
    -Belly Drum
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Fire Blast

W/E.

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
    -Safeguard
    -Counter
    -Mirror Coat
    -Destiny Bond

This thing seriously sucks ass so hard. Leftovers >> Mint berry, you have heal bell.

Alakazam @ Leftovers
    -Psychic
    -Fire Punch
    -Recover
    -Thunder Wave

Hax items are nub.

Foretress @ Mint Berry
    -Spikes
    -Explosion
    -Rapid Spin
    -Rest

Why the heck are you using this on a non stall team ? Its honestly terrible and inferior to Cloyster.

Blissey @ Leftovers
    -Softboiled
    -Heal Bell
    -Toxic
    -Ice Beam

Bliss is a seriously liability imo, but w/e.

K so;

• Mix Sweepers tear you to shreds. Mixking, Mixnite, Mixtar, Mixlax
    • No answer to Curse/BellyLax or Drum Clefable etc.
    • Raikou and Zapdos tank and wall your whole team. Both beat Bliss 1 vs 1.
    • Mean Look + Perish Trappers weak because you have no PHazer.
    • Marowak weak.
    • Curse <insert any pokemon here> weak.
    • Tar weak.
    • Lovely Kiss/Sleep Powder/Hypnosis weak, no sleep absorber. (The slower pace means its easy to predict when your beller comes in and if you heal bell they will just lovely kiss again).
    • No way to break stall, no Zard does not count. I have told you, Raikou and Suicune and Starmie are on every stall team. You NEED A WAY TO LURE IN ALL OF ITS COUNTERS. You lure in Raikou with Gengar and then.....? Nothing else supports it.
    I suggest NOT using pokemon stadium 2 and going on netbattle, then you will see how metagame weak this really is vs good players. Which is all that is left on netbattle these days.

TL;DR wob is useless, too many weaks to common threats, doesnt open up zard sweeps well enough, no good way to stop status, liability Bliss and Forry.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I knew my first attempt at a GSC team wouldn't be the best. I haven't played 2nd Gen competitively at all before now. I consdiering using TTar. The idea behind Forry and Blissey was to have reliable walls but I'll think of something else to use. And yeah guess I need a PHazer.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Rest + Explosion forry is poop. lol

I knew my first attempt at a GSC team wouldn't be the best. I haven't played 2nd Gen competitively at all before now. I consdiering using TTar. The idea behind Forry and Blissey was to have reliable walls but I'll think of something else to use. And yeah guess I need a PHazer.

Well you should test it ya know ? You learn more that way, try netbattle, you quickly learn it helped my alot when i needed to get back into things. ^^

And yes you need a phazer most definitely. =P

Either way if your team is based around zard, Gengar is a good start as a lure because it lures in Raikou. Its the rest you need to worry about.

Zard Counters said:
    Starmie, Suicune, Slowbro, Aerodactyl, Zapdos somewhat, Raikou, Jolteon

Cloyster is a good lure for most of those and would work >> Forry to lure in the electrics and Starmie and cune and bro to some extent, but i dunno if they would switch in unless they knew you didnt have boom. Explode on the switch in basically. Sad part is Explosion is illegal with Rapid Spin but oh well.

The water types are a little trickier to lure, but Explosion Steelix or Golem works well. Both can PHaze too. Marowak can force them to Rest too.

Then to solve the mix sweeper weakness Rest Talk Ice Beam Suicune + Raikou wall all mix sweepers pretty much so you could look into those. Raikou also covers electrics and Suicune covers Marowak and status well. Raikou is also an amazing special tank/wall too.

I mean its just a matter of finding things that works for you and stuff that has the same counters as zard which can be removed via one way or another. Explosion is a pretty good way though if you can predict well.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Suicune and Raikou can effectively replaced Blissey and Forry then since I can use anyone of them as my PHazer and they wall nicely. The idea behind this team was to set-up for a Zard sweep by setting up Spikes, paralyzing PHazers so Zard can KO them before they can PHaze away its Belly Drum and to handle Zard's counters. Raikou should take care of any Waters threatening Zard and Suicune takes care of Rocks. Alakazam makes a nice secondary sweeper as well. Wobb can change the game around by OHKOing anything that tries to attack it it's not even hampered by paralysis since its so slow to begin with and it wants to moving last anyway.

P.S.
    I was under the impression that hax items aren't banned in standard play in GSC. I know they're cheap so I'll probably get rid of that Focus Band anyway. I originally used it because Alakazam is so fragile that it would benefit from holding onto its life now and then.

Another P.S.
    I never knew Explosion+Rapin Spin was illegal.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Suicune and Raikou can effectively replaced Blissey and Forry then since I can use anyone of them as my PHazer and they wall nicely. The idea behind this team was to set-up for a Zard sweep by setting up Spikes, paralyzing PHazers so Zard can KO them before they can PHaze away its Belly Drum and to handle Zard's counters. Raikou should take care of any Waters threatening Zard and Suicune takes care of Rocks. Alakazam makes a nice secondary sweeper as well. Wobb can change the game around by OHKOing anything that tries to attack it it's not even hampered by paralysis since its so slow to begin with and it wants to moving last anyway.

P.S.
    I was under the impression that hax items aren't banned in standard play in GSC. I know they're cheap so I'll probably get rid of that Focus Band anyway. I originally used it because Alakazam is so fragile that it would benefit from holding onto its life now and then.

Another P.S.
    I never knew Explosion+Rapin Spin was illegal.

Problem with Cune + Raikou "dealing" with things that wall Zard is that they can just switch out. You want something to lure those counters in so they get destroyed as explained in my previous post.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    My LeadGar lures them in if its still alive later in the game. Also minus Forry and Blissey and add in the following:

Raikou @ Leftovers
    -Thunderbolt
    -Chrunch
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk

Suicune @ Mint Berry
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam / Toxic (which is better to use?)
    -Roar
    -Rest

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    My LeadGar lures them in if its still alive later in the game. Also minus Forry and Blissey and add in the following:

Raikou @ Leftovers
    -Thunderbolt
    -Chrunch
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk

Suicune @ Mint Berry
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam / Toxic (which is better to use?)
    -Roar
    -Rest

Uh, Gengar doesnt lure in any of the pokemon i mentioned apart from Raikou.

Ice Beam is better for Dragonite, use Leftovers.

Leader Soulja Boy

Batesville Gym Leader
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 16, 2011
    Your team looks pretty solid.
    Gengar has T-Bolt so it can take on bulky waters that Zard fears.
    You could also try:

Starmie @ Leftovers
    -Surf
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Recover / Rapid Spin

Recover is generally better but if you want the Spin support you lost with taking out Forry there ya go.

Back