• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Worlds 2016 Closed to the General Public

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Very poor handling of the situation on their part. This should have been made public months ago. Definitely not the way I expected them to handle Worlds on the year of their 20th anniversary.

Guest123_x1

Sad that they had to make this kind of decision for what would be a highly popular event for a major media franchise. Were there no other venues they could use for this?

In hindsight, I do wonder if the foiled mass shooting plot from last year's Championships was a factor in this decision, and the real reason is not what the official statements claim?

Years
  • Like Rivvon and Don said, not warning the public about this restriction sooner was a poor move from the company, in what is Pokemon's 20th anniversary year nonetheless, about not leaving a warning that the venue is so small that it's causing space concerns. The event will be streamed, but that's not enough to stop the sour taste left in the mouths of those who were planning to go the event to spectate. The restricted size also made sense in why there was no local wi-fi event Pokemon announced, in what is meant to be the final Worlds event before the move into 7th Gen.

Hopefully the company will learn from this and have a much more sizable location booked for the 2017 Worlds event.

Years
  • As someone who got a chance to go to the Worlds when they were hosted here in 2013, I've got to say it's very poor planning on their part, and I can only imagine how many fans are going to be left disappointed because of their decision. You'd think that the size of the venue would be something they had to consider when deciding to host the championships in San Francisco, and if they weren't able to find something suitable, they should've tried somewhere else.

Back