• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: “Pokémon: I Choose You!” gets international release date

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Likely not even if one of the theaters it's in is in my area, I will just wait for it to be on DVD or when Disney XD shows it assuming they are.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    No. I read what the movie was about in Serebii. It was terrible. A rip off from the episode with minor changes to it. I never seen a movie made in a lazy way in my life. Not seeing it or getting the dvd. What a complete joke this movie is.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    don't judge something just by it's description. from friend who have actually seen it they've enjoyed it so as someone who is pretty open by this movie i'm going to try to see it in cinemas. depends on location and time though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Don't plan to see it even if it's in any nearby theaters. If it doesn't have Misty in it as a major character, or Brock, for that matter, then no go. I still haven't forgotten what the writers did to Misty and have no intention of backing away from my boycott on Pokémon. And besides, I've read the summary, and some reviews of the movie and, well, it's a mess, many times conflicting with the tie-in manga series (Marshadow's stark difference here compared to its tie in manga is an example), and overall was a terrible way to celebrate the 20th anniversary (The Path to Power did the whole revisiting the roots of its franchise as a movie concept FAR better).

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    don't judge something just by it's description. from friend who have actually seen it they've enjoyed it so as someone who is pretty open by this movie i'm going to try to see it in cinemas. depends on location and time though.

They actually posted the whole story/plot on serebii. I read through the whole thing. Bad writing, lazy for a film and not worth watching at all in my opinion.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    They actually posted the whole story/plot on serebii. I read through the whole thing. Bad writing, lazy for a film and not worth watching at all in my opinion.
    > reading instead of actually watching.

Lol ok. I'll still listen to my friends who have the same expectations as me who enjoyed it, but thanks.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    > reading instead of actually watching.

Lol ok. I'll still listen to my friends who have the same expectations as me who enjoyed it, but thanks.

Why should i watch it? I read about it. I know all about. I know what the plot is about. Reading it and watching it are not that different. It still be a disappointment even if i watch it. Better to read than to watch in some cases and this is one of them for me.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    To each their own. I am definitely not having this argument with soneone who probably wasn't open to the movie's idea in the first place.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    To each their own. I am definitely not having this argument with soneone who probably wasn't open to the movie's idea in the first place.
    What idea? It is basically the retelling of Ash starting his journey. I seen the episode. Why watch a movie that basically rip the episode off? I am open to things but this is clearly a poorly made movie.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I think it does a bit more than that. But hey, if you're not going to watch it, why proclaim that? :P
    Nothing in the movie worth watching.

They're pouring production values into it, adding additional storyline expansions (in fact, it's apparently "alternate universe") and the animation budget appears to be quite high. I doubt they're being lazy — hell, they're being smart about it by showing a generation of kids how things started. And it paid off, seemingly.

They're just not showing the whole story — guess they'd rather you watch the entirety of season 1. Seems you'd rather that, anyway.
    Alternate universe or not, that is no excuse for a bad movie. Pokemon movies should not retell stories/episodes because it shows no work effort.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    So, nothing to you. They might add plenty of new moments, but if it's all the same to you, keep at that.
    I prefer the other movies where the story involves legendaries and mythicals. Each one has been great and original. This one is just going back to episode one. Everyone can like this movie if they want but i choose not to because this movie gave me no reason to like it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    The real problem of this movie is A: It's a bunch of pieces of plotlines that don't really have anything to do with one another, and as such, none get any depth what so ever. (For example of a developed plot, Pokémon range movie spends a lion's share focusing on May's and Manaphy's parental bond, making the ending seem impactful, guess if Butterfree gets enough screentime to make his departure meaningful?)
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The real problem of this movie is A: It's a bunch of pieces of plotlines that don't really have anything to do with one another, and as such, none get any depth what so ever. (For example of a developed plot, Pokémon range movie spends a lion's share focusing on May's and Manaphy's parental bond, making the ending seem impactful, guess if Butterfree gets enough screentime to make his departure meaningful?)
    Spoiler:

Agreed overall with how the plotline was a total mess (even Dogasu acknowledged the plotline as it was is a downright mess), though I'm not sure about the impact regarding May and Manaphy. I mean, yeah, sure, we got a whole lot of screentime, but they also screwed up big time with the climax when she essentially let Phantom abduct Manaphy without a fight, thus turning the whole ending into "Ash Saves the Day" yet again despite it not even being his movie to begin with, with May making absolutely NO attempt whatsoever in saving Manaphy at all, or even aiding Ash in saving Manaphy, which actually ended up reflecting VERY badly on her. Misty's farewell with Togepi, heck, her entire arc with Togepi, was FAR better developed than May's arc with Manaphy. At least Misty made EVERY effort to save and defend Togepi from Colonel Hanson.

And as it is, whether Misty was present in there or not, Dragon Ball: The Path to Power did the concept FAR better than this ever will.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I think I recall it being one of the first two BW movies. The dual Victini movie if I remember.

Yep, that's the one. And until this announcement, it was the only Pokémon movie to even GET a theatrical feature since Pokémon Heroes (I suspect it being a dual-feature had something to do with it). Before then and since, they either did DTV releases, or otherwise just did a TV movie airing at most.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    By the way, is this release date going to be the Japanese movie with subtitles or will this be the American dub version of it?

AlolanMoonZPrincess

Alolan Moon Princess
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2017
    I'm excited since it sounds like the first good movie since Movie 8. Just sad to know the music will be replaced by dub only (if the dub music was good...)

Back