• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3DS XL not turning on properly

Draknir

The God of Fire
Years
  • Honestly, I have a feeling I already know the answer to this, but I still have to ask. Basically, my 3DS XL is no longer working. Something's wrong with it and it will automatically shut off with a pop whenever I turn it on. Since the warranty has expired, I figured that I would just upgrade to the New 3DS XL, since I'd be spending money anyway. Which brings me to my question:

Can I perform a system transfer through any of the methods without the source system working?

I'm sure the answer is no, but I still need to ask it.

Years
  • I will have to ask this, but is the 3DS charged at all? The way I'm gonna interpret on you're describing, the 3DS comes on but then quickly shuts off; that right there is a common symptom that there is little-to-no battery power available within the device.

Draknir

The God of Fire
    Years
  • I will have to ask this, but is the 3DS charged at all? The way I'm gonna interpret on you're describing, the 3DS comes on but then quickly shuts off; that right there is a common symptom that there is little-to-no battery power available within the device.
    Yes, it's completely charged. It did, however, take unusually long to charge.

Actually, there's more than just that for a cause.

There's also a couple other reasons that a 3DS won't turn on properly. One of them is that something inside has disconnected. A 3DS (As well as older DS models) will do what is called a Power-On Self Test (POST) to ensure that all peripherals are connected. If it fails this test, it will simply shut down the system. It's possible that something may have disconnected in your system. Since you're out of warranty, you may be able to crack it open and see if anything doesn't look right and is disconnected. Less common, yet still causes this, is a blown power fuse, which you will have to send into Nintendo for.

As for the System Transfer, no, you need to have your system in a functioning state to do this. If you cannot, you may be able to contact Nintendo and see if you can get them to look at it.

Problem is finding a screwdriver that is small enough to open it. As for a blown power fuse, if that were the case, why would it turn on then turn off again? Wouldn't it just not turn on at all?

You need a working system even for a PC transfer?

Draknir

The God of Fire
    Years
  • It's not easy to find a small enough screwdriver, however, if you head to a hardware store, they may be able to find one small enough for you to use. Traditionally, screwdriver kits for disassembling watches tend to be best for this purpose
    I actually was able to find a place to get a small enough screwdriver, but I can't do anything until tomorrow. I'll see if I can find anything that looks wrong.

Yes. Simply transferring your SD card to another system will not work, because of piracy issues.
    I was actually referring to the option on the New 3DS XL to transfer using a PC, which involves the microSD to transfer data. I wasn't talking about simply putting the SD card into it. Of course, I'm probably misunderstanding how the PC transfer works.

Draknir

The God of Fire
    Years
  • Okay, I was able to get the back off it for the most part. Now, I have no idea what it's supposed to look like inside. Can anybody see if anything doesn't look right, aside from the things in the corners missing (I only noticed it in the picture and was able to fix that easily)?

EDIT: Got the back off as much as possible without damaging it. Here's a better picture:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Draknir

The God of Fire
    Years
  • Okay, I ended up getting it to work. I taped down the Wi-Fi card but then I figured out what is the likely cause: the circled part of this picture wasn't secured. Taping that down I was able to get it to turn on and work properly. Thank so much for your help, Team Fail.

Spoiler:

Back