• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Previews for Sword and Shield's first 90 minutes released

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Read through a bit from another forum. Some thoughts? I'm avoiding the story section for myself personally.

-I'm glad they at least understood to let us explore for the first half of the game. I think Let's Go was a right step in the direction. One major tutorial and that was it. I don't think they can afford to considering the wild are exists. Imagine getting stopped by an NPC in a random wild area section for a 3 minute tutorial. Ew.

-That PC sounds hella useful. I'm down for it 100% and IV checker is here to stay! Thank the lord.

-The Aura mechanic seems to be a carry-over from gen 7. Will be useful for getting good mons.

- Some cases they didn't find an older gen mon for 80 minutes? Did they finally fix the catch rate for newer mons? Alola was horrible with this. No Pichu needed to be such a small percentage.

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • The tutorial news is good, finally old players won't have to wait for a while to get into the game. Also, the wild area being as big as two breath of the wild areas is really nice! Maybe it's twice as big as the great plateau. The noticeable change is that they removed "city" and "town" from location names, which is cool. Wedgehurst, Motostoke, all good names. They sound better this way, rather than "Wedgehurst town" or "Motostoke city" as it adds a bit of reality to it.

The PC in these games is awesome. Seems like the name rater was desperate., so he took up two more jobs. And the British sland,haha! Excited to see what it's like in Galar.

Replacing the regular Pokemon professor introduction with a telecast is a good relief from the conventions!

Last edited:

Couples-Consoling

Husband and Wife Nuzlocke Let's Players!
    Years
  • Man, so little about this game has gotten me ACTIVELY excited. I mean, I've been eagerly checking news about this game all year, DESPERATE for more, but almost everything I heard ending up dulling my enthusiasm... until today. Almost everything I'm hearing about the first 90 minutes is a LOT of fun, and now I'm not sure I want to know too much! I wanted to know everything for so long and got nothing, but now that we're almost here, I can't decide if I want to hold out!!

Also, the wild area being as big as two breath of the wild areas is really nice!

Okay, since I'm on the fence about how much I really wanna know, rather than go into the full article and take it all in, could I just ask you to elaborate on what that size means?

Years
  • im personally not getting my hopes up too much about the wild area until i explore it for myself. it's easy for TPC reps to overhype something but i really want to experience these games for myself and make that judgment of whether or not it's worth hyping over.

that all being said though, it's about time that Game Freak allowed skippable tutorials, as people were getting kinda fed up with that and i think their patience was starting to run out with how slow paced Alola was.

also no old 'mons for 80 minutes is certainly surprising for sure! a good surprise, i think. mostly because i need to find myself acquainted to more newer pokemon than seeing the old ones... again. i want some newer generation pokemon to make it into my favourites and sadly that hasn't really happened much as of yet.

pkmin3033

Eh...there's nothing here to be surprised by, really. A few QoL changes are to be expected, and inconsistent visual quality wasn't going to be done away with....in the grand scheme of things that doesn't really matter, especially not in what are essentially beta-test titles for the Switch that have unnecessarily cut content. I expect better of the next releases, but I see these games as the XY to SM in a visual sense. I'm glad they finally learned how to spell "mum" though because that American spelling has been bugging the hell out of me for years. Maybe they'll finally learn where to put "u" into words too.

Having a large world means nothing if they don't put anything in it. I hope Game Freak recognise this, because Nintendo sure as hell didn't when they made the endless empty space that was Breath of the Wild. But I don't expect much out of this either. I AM glad that there are only 7 or so species in earlier areas, though - one of the problems with XY was oversaturation of Pokemon types in some routes, it was ridiculous. Of course, I'd be happy to accept that if it meant they'd bothered to add everything into the games...

I can't wait to see the unrealistically positive, obviously paid-for reviews that everyone will treat as objective fact. So exciting.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Man, so little about this game has gotten me ACTIVELY excited. I mean, I've been eagerly checking news about this game all year, DESPERATE for more, but almost everything I heard ending up dulling my enthusiasm... until today. Almost everything I'm hearing about the first 90 minutes is a LOT of fun, and now I'm not sure I want to know too much! I wanted to know everything for so long and got nothing, but now that we're almost here, I can't decide if I want to hold out!!

Okay, since I'm on the fence about how much I really wanna know, rather than go into the full article and take it all in, could I just ask you to elaborate on what that size means?

Alright, we may not have as much freedom as that in BOTW, here is an image of an 'area' in BOTW. I assume this to be an average. Looks big compared to pokemon areas, doesn't it ? To have sometching twice this big to explore in Pokemon is nice. Nice, because it's not yet released, so let's not jump to conclusions. Also, I did not play BOTW myself, but I have an idea of how big it is through YouTube videos.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Couples-Consoling

Husband and Wife Nuzlocke Let's Players!
    Years
  • Alright, we may not have as much freedom as that in BOTW, here is an image of an 'area' in BOTW. I assume this to be an average. Looks big compared to pokemon areas, doesn't it ? To have sometching twice this big to explore in Pokemon is nice. Nice, because it's not yet released, so let's not jump to conclusions. Also, I did not play BOTW myself, but I have an idea of how big it is through YouTube videos.
    Spoiler:

Alright, thanks for that heads up! I DID play BotW, and this is a hard measurement to wrap my head around. The game was HUGE, and there were apparently like 15 areas, so I dunno what 2/15ths of HUGE is, you know? I guess my dream for it is that it feels like the desert outside Dalmasca in Final Fantasy XII. You got there early game, you could explore way too far and get curb stomped, but you'd also get rewarded for it when you were finally able to go farther. And you could also spend hours doing it and finding new things. It's sounding promising so far, though I'd like a few different types of environment to play in.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • That's a great description, but I haven't played Final Fantasy either. Big OOPS! A user had suggested me to play FF7, so I will be trying that out after I finish certain games.

But I do hope the wild area is huge and the camping important, because that adds a lot to the fun in gaming n_n.

Back