• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Galar Legends and Real-World Myths

Years
  • What real-world myths and legends do you think the Galar legendaries are based on? Also, what myths and legends would you use to make other legendaries that could eventually appear in Galar?

I like to think that Welsh myths played the most into the design of each of the Galar legendaries, but I say that because there are so many royal hounds, mystical wolves and poisonous dragon beasts in European myths that I had to stop searching.
    I would really like to see a Galar legendary based on a harp string because of a few lines in the medieval Welsh poem Cad Goddeu:
    I was a sword in a hand-grip
    I was a shield in battle
    I was a string in the harp of enchantment for nine years

Years
  • This is a really interesting read! I love all the lore/background possibilities you've outlined here, wouldn't have thought of a lot of it myself and it's just 👍👍

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Very interesting article, Zacian and Zamazenta were pretty obvious, especially Zacian because Excalibur is so well known.

Its coming from space and dragon-like appearance may be a reference to King Uther Pendragon, Arthur's father. He acquired his epithet and started using dragons on his standards after witnessing a dragon-shaped comet.
    "Dragon-shaped comet" was possibly an UFO so this is where someone could say:
    HkPOzEH.jpg

Years
  • Interesting! I would like to point out another motif I first saw noted on Bulbapedia: King Arthur as inspiration for Zamazenta and his sister Morgana le Fay as inspiration for Zacian. Morgana was Arthur's ally in older stories, often a great magical healer. She was the one who took Arthur to Avalon. Only in later versions of the myth did she become Arthur's enemy, which fits very well with Zacian's Pokédex entry claiming "some say it's Zamazenta's older sister, others say they are rivals". Also, Le Fay means "the Fairy", so this line of thought explains Zacian's rather unexpected typing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Interesting! I would like to point out another motif I first saw noted on Bulbapedia: King Arthur as inspiration for Zamazenta and his sister Morgana le Fay as inspiration for Zacian. Morgana was Arthur's ally in older stories, often a great magical healer. She was the one who took Arthur to Avalon. Only in later versions of the myth did she become Arthur's enemy, which fits very well with Zacian's Pokédex entry claiming "some say it's Zamazenta's older sister, others say they are rivals". Also, Le Fay means "the Fairy", so this line of thought explains Zacian's rather unexpected typing.

That definitely is another solid connection! It is interesting to discover the changes to the myths that have happened over the centuries in Britain, especially with King Arthur.

That reminds me: in the postgame, Swordward and Shielbert attempt to besmirch the legendary hounds and drive one of them into rampaging, claiming that they are evil. This could also tie into the supernatural Hounds of Annwn, which were demonized and turned into "hellhounds" when Christianity started to dominate Britain and turned pagan references such as Annwn into hellish territory. The spooky hound legends that survive today mainly depict a "dark evil dog", such as the one that is featured in Hound of the Baskervilles. It seems that they did indeed draw inspiration from many different legends.

Has anyone thought about the new Galar legendaries that were revealed this week? I personally am at a road block, but I do believe the big headed legendary could be a reference to King Bran (not from Game of Thrones but from British myth). It is said that Bran died when he was decapitated, but his big head was taken back home and survived by itself for a time. Kinda creepy if you ask me..

Back