• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Pokémon Legends: Arceus apparently inspired by Monster Hunter Stories gameplay

Pokémon Legends: Arceus apparently inspired by Monster Hunter Stories gameplay

Pokémon Legends: Arceus apparently inspired by Monster Hunter Stories gameplay

The Pokémon Company issued a statement to Kotaku the game will be more like Monster Hunter Stories.
Years
  • So it appears that this game is gonna be more like a Monster Hunter type of game. Stories from what I saw was a great game, and this could change people's opinions on the game.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Would probably be more accurate to say that Legends: Arceus's gameplay might be more similar to Monster Hunter Stories instead of Breath of the Wild like has long been thought, than saying that TPC explicitly said that L:A was inspired by it.

Still though, the game being more like MHST (provided it's more like the 2nd one, as it's a significant improvement for the most part over the 1st one) and less like BotW would be a good thing to me. I really do like open-world games, but if you're gonna model yours after one, BotW ain't the one to pick for that. We will see how it goes though.

Years
  • Would probably be more accurate to say that Legends: Arceus's gameplay might be more similar to Monster Hunter Stories instead of Breath of the Wild like has long been thought, than saying that TPC explicitly said that L:A was inspired by it.

Still though, the game being more like MHST (provided it's more like the 2nd one, as it's a significant improvement for the most part over the 1st one) and less like BotW would be a good thing to me. I really do like open-world games, but if you're gonna model yours after one, BotW ain't the one to pick for that. We will see how it goes though.

Posted late at night and fixed the title to reflect it better. I do think this is not a bad idea at all, and think it being more like Monster Hunter/MHS is great.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    It bothers me that we have to play this game of "but what did they really mean". Everyone seems to be reading far too much into an incredibly noncommittal answer which doesn't say anything useful.

Years
  • It bothers me that we have to play this game of "but what did they really mean". Everyone seems to be reading far too much into an incredibly noncommittal answer which doesn't say anything useful.

As someone on another site I'm on said..
    I am a bit worried on how boring and uninspired the environments will look, and not worried on if they're seamlessly connected. I just wanna hope the areas are big and open enough, but this is GF we're talking about. Based on that second trailer, I assumed it was gonna be like Monster Hunter Stories as far as gameplay goes.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    That sounds cool never playing monster world before but been told it's a good game

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Cali
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    As someone that is a fan of the MHS games, I can certainly say I have no complaints with this. From what we've seen in the trailers I'm cautiously optimistic about the overall environments as well.

pkmin3033

This is without doubt the best thing that could have happened to this game.

I can understand - at least in an abstract way - the desire for a fully realised open world, but there are very few games that actually take advantage of having an open world, and Game Freak don't have the time, the capacity, or the competence to make an open world work. I mean, the Wild Area from SnS shows this by itself: it's a vast, empty expanse of absolutely bugger all, and people would want an entire game like this? By compartmentalising the world into smaller, more manageable segments, there is less time-wasting to be done. Contrary to popular belief, wandering around and admiring the scenery is not gameplay, it's little better than a glorified walking simulator. You're not interacting with the environment or doing anything meaningful when you're just travelling from one place to the next, and this is a common failure of open world titles: lots, and lots, and LOTS of empty space. Game Freak are already stepping way outside their comfort zone with the gameplay and the new, entirely unnecessary systems like crafting that they're going to be adding, making it open world would be just adding more fuel to the fire.

Monster Hunter Stories was a fantastically realised title in terms of exploration (although the rock-paper-scissors combat and RNG of genes did leave a lot to be desired, in the first game especially) so this is a fantastic model to base the game off of, and whilst I doubt it's within Game Freak's abilities to make it work, they stand a better chance of doing this than going full-on with it, and they would never be able to make an open world as rich as Horizon Zero Dawn.

Back