• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Guide to perfecting game ideas

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
    Ok first of all, its the graphics that first gets people's attention, they see screen shots first, then may be if they are interested, they will research the game and see the videos. and If they still like it, they will go get the game it self. So the graphics are HUGE, they set the mood and tone of the story, and they also are the main advertisement. As you already know, there are different types of characters, dynamic and static characters. You can use either one to tell the story, and theres different levels of importance in characters. Major or Main characters(ash and pikachu), minor major (think misty and brock in the shows) major minor (May be jessie and jamse, but they can be minor major) minor minor (the random characters that are in the show a couple episodes, like the phantom) You have to use a variety of those characters.

Well Box art is what captures the eye of the gamer, these days graphics are important on platform consoles but not for pokemon... Yes each character has his/her own POV which the story/adventure is plays out. I was thinking of making this an open source so to speak, where people can add things as they see fit but cannot modify the content already added so anyone that adds something his or her advice can not be changed.

Umm, I read the guide, don't completely agree with it, but I've read this whole thread it really it just seems like a flame war in the making...The guy's just trying to give advice, albeit may be in a rather unorthodox and crass way, but let him finish his guide and do as he pleases with it.

If you disagree, then send him a PM about it. Don't muck up the thread. Not trying to backseat-mod or anything, just giving my thoughts on this...

Finally the voice of reason, Yes correct it is incomplete and needs work I've been working on it most of today and it has improved greatly. But It is MY advice what I believe can help, yes some of it may be a bit harsh and unorthodox as you put it but its my way of doing things. Of course their is gonna be disagreements everyone has their own way of doing things I'm simply adding another way. Its obvious this isn't gonna be good for more experienced developers but its made to help newbies and beginners...

Last edited:
    Years
    The new version is much better, too. I see you reworded a good portion of the document and changed your tone a little. But just one small correction: there are only 493 Pokémon, not 512. ;)

Oh, and I'm dreadfully sorry for my attitude earlier. Some things just set me off. It was nothing to do with you.

And lastly, some things about the graphics portion:
    --Another thing to take into acount with the graphics of your fangame are palettes. The palette of the environment can set a mood, maybe even send a message. Determining what palette is right is key to producing what you want to convey. For example, dull, gray-ish colors and cool colors (Blues, greens, purples) usually represent sadness or a disaster. Bright colors and warm colors (reds, yellows, oranges) usually represent hapiness or joy. That isn't to say that a dull environment can't represent hapiness. It can, but it all depends on how well it's done. But this raises the question about Nintendo graphics: Why are they almost always bright? Well, the official Pokémon graphics are usually meant to convey happiness. Of course, there are the exceptions like Mt. Pyre and Pokémon Tower. While on first look they still appear a little bright, these areas are very dull in comparison to other areas of the games. So, when selecting a color, ask around to see if what you want to express is being expressed in your palette. If the need comes, ask a pixel artist to see what he/she thinks about the palette.

Last edited:
    Back