• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Little Too Repetative

Is the Pokemon TV show getting repetative?

• Yes

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Does anybody think that pokemon, the show, is getting a little too repetative? I mean, in the newer episodes they're basicly the same thing:
    1. Ash and friends are walking
    2. They have a dilema
    3. They must solve the dilema
    4. Team Rocket Gets in the way
    5. They defeat TR
    6. Finally solve dilema
    7. The End

I LOVE the first couple seasons of the show, but I don't like the newer ones at all. Perhaps it's because of the newer voice-overs, or maybe its just the same boring old thing. What do you think?

gilbertman

Where am I?
    Years
    Getting repetitive? Its been repetitive, for like ever, but hey i don't really mind, im easily amused :P but personally i like the newer ones better, i like the animation better, and I do like the new VAs better as well, personally I see little difference between the old and the new, its just with the old, things were.....new and hadn't been done before so in other words yes its repetitive but do i can? not really

Years
    You forgot the part after the end when people complain about how repetative it is. :D

It is really repetative, since Johto. The orange islands wasn't quite as bad about repetition.

I just stopped caring once Hoenn started. If you've seen one episode, you've pretty much seen them all.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Yeah, I have noticed that. It doesn't bother me though, always new places, new people, new pokemon. Yep... I'm fine with it.

Years
    The Orange Islands were about freshness. I think they do what they can considering Nintendo's main plotting is just Gym Badges mostly. But yeah, Johto overkilled the filler and Battle Frontier kinda returned that quality (it's a negative connection, but a connection).

I've learned to let go and lower my expectations. That's the only way the series won't drive you insane.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 9, 2007
    Every episode is not repetative in my own opinion, cause every episode has a story behind it, not same things happening in every episode, not actrully true...

Years
    I don't want this to die, but I do agree with Lucario: every episode does have a story. Unfortunately, part of the anime series' shtick is the recycling and sometimes, it can be for the better (I'm thinking of examples, but my mind is tapped at the moment). The question then becomes "which backdrops make the story better as it often is the case?"

Like the Mirage Pokemon Special and how it copied from the first movie with the "real vs. digital Pokemon" and it pulled off things kinda nicely.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Yea it has been repeatative. But I do wish to See Jeese when atleast a Pokemon Contest or 2. It will make the show a little more interesting. Jeese is doing something right by battling ina Pokemon Contest.

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Lihinel

so what?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2008
    It is repetative, and the characters don't realy change much.
    But its not too bad, this way the show won't die anytime in the future, cause all they need for another 100-200 episodes is a new region + pokémon.

Jet i would like to see more specials and maybe short spinoff series with minor charakters.

But not like this "mastermind of mirage pkmn" special that is mentioned some posts before, because it was just a bad try to recycle parts of the first movie plot.

aaronburnsyou

Hi, I'm not a pokemon.
    Years
    The show is too repetitive, and not just in general, like stated in the beginning of the thread. Some of the literal plots actually seem to repeat themselves as well, just w/ different characters.

bgt

R A W R
    Years
    • Age 15
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    A lot of the character designs are reused, including the Magikarp Salesman, which has probably been used the most.

Star★Seeker

→s t y l e ;
    Years
    It is reppetitive.How many times do we have to see Ash help a trainer and his/her pokemon, he should get a medal for 'Most helpful Trainer' or maybe he should become a Pokemon Ranger or help Pokemon in Mysterious Dungeon.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeah, alot of them can seem repeatitive, but that doesn't stop me from watching them. x3

However this is one reason I loved the Contest episodes so much, because they really weren't the same thing all the time, and it gave a chance for someone besides Ash to have the spotlight for awhile. Sure Ash is my favorite character, but still... I like all of the characters, so I like it when someone other then just him gets a decent amount of screen time.

yakusoku

Strawberry Lychee
    Years
    Sort of.. but at least they can still think up ideas. I just think TR is annoying.

Typhoon

PokeManiac
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2007
    The first seasons were SO much better than the more recent ones. Remember the Goodbye Butterfree episode? And the multi-part S.S. Anne episode? Those are what I call stories. They evoked an emotion (goodbye butterfree) or showed another side to someone (Team Rocket can be good sometimes). Now, the episodes are nothing but battles. I don't hate battles, I just hate the fact that every episode is about battles. It could be a bit more realistic. Why don't Ash and Brock ever think about Misty, or home, or people or pokemon they met in the past?

Please, bring back the plot!

I actually like Pokemon Chronicles, since it focused more on stories in the pokemon world, rather than Ash. I hate to say it, but I first thought that Dawn would be a new character with a whole new pokemon storyline, but was disappointed to find out she was just a new sidekick to add to Ash's storyline.

Last edited:

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Well yes the anime gets repetative but that is to be expected after 500 or so episodes!!!! Just a few weeks ago Pokemon hit it's 500 episode so yes it does.

Still it is like Dark Charaxes said. You kinda get use to it and just I don't want to say lower your standards but treat each episode as if you are seeing it for the first time. You need to see them as something new and just wonder how they will redo some of the old things. I mean not all episodes are the same too and those are the good ones that should keep you tuning in.

Good recent examples are Off the Unbeaten Path where the groud splits up to do an orienteering contest and even Team Rocket gets to compete and James even won which is something super different. Another good one which happens to involve Team Rocket is The Ole' Berate and Switch where Jessie and James split up and trade with Cassidy and Butch. It doesn't involve Ash and Friends that much but it is a good episode overall. Then one that I thought was different from the others was Time Wrap Heal All Wounds since it was just out there and different.

Then a few good episodes that follow the formula is a personal fave Is That a Ralts I Hear? which follows the forumla but it is really good because it is super emonitonal and it has some coolie music. Personal fave of all for me. There was also Sweet Baby James too which is kinda different too.

Then there are the many contest episodes that are rarely bad and a few good gym ones that could be seen during Battle Frounter.

I do agree lots that the show is repetitive but every so often they do make a great episode which is something to look forward too. That is way I keep watching because I love to keep up with the story line and also because I know there are some super coolie episodes too. Also the characters I just love!!! I so fell in love with Donphan!!!!

Typhoon

PokeManiac
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2007
    Has Gary Oak appeared in any episodes since Ash left Kanto? I mean appear in person, not in a memory. Just wondering.

Back