• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Little Too Repetative

Is the Pokemon TV show getting repetative?

• Yes

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

Guest123_x1

Has Gary Oak appeared in any episodes since Ash left Kanto? I mean appear in person, not in a memory. Just wondering.
    I thought I did see Gary at least once at the end of Johto (sometime before Misty left)
    As for repetitiveness, that's why I quit watching the show.

Skitty101

Crazed Advanceshipper!!
    Years
    If you're talking about stuff like Team Rocket appearing in almost every entire episode trying to steal Pikachu then yes.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 15, 2007
    It's a little repetitive, but Pokemon Chronicles gave it a slight break at least.

Years
    I voted no, but only because so far they've managed so far to at least make the shows somewhat different. They would be better if the shows had more problems than just Team Rocket trying to steal Pikachu again. And again. And again...

And like Typhoon said, the older ones had more of a plot. Bye Bye Butterfree is one of my favorites, and I also really liked all of the multi-part episodes. In Hoenn, they did a couple of good episodes, like when Team Rocket fought the Pokemon poacher and his Tyrannitar.

And Gary Oak was in Johto for a few episodes, and I think he was there when Ash went back to Pallet Town after Battle Frontier.

Amanda

ATTENTION DUELISTS!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2007
    Yeah it is but that's why I still like it. It was so obviously repetitive it was enjoyable.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Yes. The show's way too repetitive. When you've got a running gag of a trio of villains that look like they belong in an old 80s Power Team episode, constantly showing up to steal Pokemon for relatively the same reason each time, it's repetitive enough.

But to top it all off, Pokemon takes repetitive one step further. Rather than invent a fresh new plotline in each Region (which ANYONE could do), they basically recycle the old plot and just change the scenery and Pokemon around. Seriously, those of you that think Pokemon isn't repetitive, take another look at the show. New Regions always follow these general ten steps (in no particular order):

1: Ash arrives at new Region.

2: JJM follow him.

3: Ash has to beat 8 Gym Leaders to get their Badges.

4: Miscellaneous Team X spends half the Region concocting some super plan, only to have it foiled in less than an hour.

5: JJM invent a new speech that is worse than their last one (as of Kanto Redux).

6: Ash deals with the following people no less than 10 times: Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, and the Professor.

7: Ash meets Legendary Pokemon that seem important, but really aren't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

8: Every small-time local sporting event is mandatory to take part in.

9: Ash Enters and loses the League.

10: Ho-Oh, or some other nameless Legendary Pokemon leads Ash to the next Region. If no Legendary Pokemon appears, then what's ahead of us is a season of..... FILLERS!!!

Based on these ten steps, as well as the legendary Dexter's list of Pokemon Cliches, I can easily predict what'll likely happen in the Sinnoh Ragion, even BEFORE it happens. SPOILER ALERT! Well, who WOULDN'T see these coming? Honestly...

- Ash Arrives (happened).

- Paul's the new Rival (happened).

- Dawn's the new female Coordinator (happened).

- Paul's a prick (happened and still happening).

- Dawn will win ALL 5 ribbons (happening).

- Ash will win ALL 8 Badges (happening).

- JJM will show up at least once in just about every episode (happening).

- Some evil Team (Galaxy) will hatch a scheme that draws attention, only to have Ash and the gang stop their life-long master plan in a few episodes.

- At some point, Paul will lose to a Legendary, or Uber Pokemon. Afterward, he'll mellow and become best friends with Ash.

- Dawn will enter the Grand Festival of Bad Announcers.

- Dawn will lose, or win, still a pretty new concept, so maybe... Who am I kidding? She'll lose.

- Ash will enter the League of Worse Announcers.

- Ash will lose the League.

- Some Legendary Pokemon will lead Ash to the next Region. OR, there'll be some fillers, THEN the Legendary Pokemon will show up.

- Rinse, and repeat (omitting the Rival stuff if there's no Rival).

And one final note, based on the show's track record, if Ash ever DOES win a League, he'll probably be replaced in the next season with another male lead. So fans of Ash, you'd better pray that he keeps losing.

And don't take this to mean I hate the Anime, because I still like it. Otherwise, I wouldn't be writing Fics, would I?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2007
    Does anybody think that pokemon, the show, is getting a little too repetative? I mean, in the newer episodes they're basicly the same thing:
    1. Ash and friends are walking
    2. They have a dilema
    3. They must solve the dilema
    4. Team Rocket Gets in the way
    5. They defeat TR
    6. Finally solve dilema
    7. The End

I LOVE the first couple seasons of the show, but I don't like the newer ones at all. Perhaps it's because of the newer voice-overs, or maybe its just the same boring old thing. What do you think?

That just means you're growing up and your seeing how the show is. Back when you first watched it, you had never seen anything like it before so of course it seemed like an amazing, original program. Now that you've seen the same show for years, they can't come up with anything new, and you pick it up. Good job.

And if by 'show' you actually mean show, game, and overall franchise, then yes. Pokemon was repetive about 2 years ago.

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    what do you mean not that much! This show is soooo repetative. The first episodes were great. The orange islands were awesome too. Then after that, it started to get bad. I completely agree with SBaby. He's sooo right it's not even funny. They could drastically change the show, or at least even a little bit, but they don't. Why can't Team Rocket ever win? They should have like a 4-part episode where TR actually gets pikachu for a few days! And an episode where Brock actually GETs somewhere with nurse joy (or at least he thinks he is...), only to find out she's married! Drastic changes like that are guaranteed to make the show better. As for now, I'm not watching.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    In a way yes they're vey repetitive, but I try not to look at it that way, whena new character is intriduced, you might have seen it coming but you still don't nessecarily know anything about that character, so it's fun to watch their individual story work out.
    one thing i find is that when i was younger, i hated the side episodes all i ever wanted was to see Ash challenge a gym leader because they were always the most interesting battles with the most strategies. Now i just enjoy the whole story, and the side episodes that focus on different characters, like the one where May, Meowth and squirtle travel back in time and stop old what's his face from leaving for the big city.
    I'll admit though i like the movies better because in a way the movies are just three or four-part episodes, just a little more serious and TR doesn't rephrase their ever slightly changing modo.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Yeah, but the games are repetitive too. Your a new trainer in blah blah region going to collect 8 badges, defeat a random team and then defeat the elite four. Sound familar? That's only been the format for, what, about 12 games.

But I still find the anime and games really interesing and fun. D/P is fast becoming one of my favourite series of Pokemon and I don't actually have the D/P game yet but I think it'll become my favourite games.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    They've done some different things lately. Not in the shows, but in the games.

There is Ranger which gives a whole new view on catching Pokemon and Mystery Dungeon. x.x

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    They've done some different things lately. Not in the shows, but in the games.

There is Ranger which gives a whole new view on catching Pokemon and Mystery Dungeon. x.x

The games give enough variation from previous games, so I still like them.

Hydross

wrOOOm
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2010
    It's repetative yes, but I don't care so much about the storyline tbh, it's the battles that I think are fun to watch, and the battles are so much better now (season10) since the graphics and battle(styles) have improved by a ton.

Just compare Charizards flamethrower from seaon 1 with Tuckers Arcanine from season 9, then u do realise that the graphics are so much better now. And thats why I enjoy the new episodes, much better graphics which leads to much better battles, and much better episodes :)

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Oh, don't get me wrong. The games are repetitive too. It's just that they're not quite as bad as the show is in that respect.

Ariolander

MangaTraders.com Staff
    Years
    It wouldn't be so bad if Ash stopped being pathetic and turning his Pokemon into PokeBurgers each season!

I mean God I am tired of Ash being pathetic. Does he hit his head and get amnesia between each season? If your gonna wipe hsi mind, take is Pokes, and turn him into an utter and pathetic n00b eachseason then you should have used a whole new character.

I wanna see a grown up Pokemaster ash hunting legendaries in all kinds of advanced battles and some major butt kicking not that stuff like that pathetic "battle" (if you can call it that) with Paul.

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Ash is pretty pathetic. The Audiences want a STRONG hero, not some wimpy little twerp.

Back