• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen A Major Conspiracy to Conquer!

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    So Malamar is the evolved form of Inkay... HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW IT EXISTS?

When Inkay and Malamar were revealed, it was stated to have a new evolution method, without revealing a hint of it. And since them, people have assumed having to do some gimmicky hardware trick at a certain level. GameFreak would never implement such a gimmick in order to evolve, obtain, or even discover a specific Pokémon. Can't you just wait for GameFreak to reveal the evolution method before assuuming what it would be?

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    A few trainers have Malamar, and it comes after Inkay in the Pokedex, along with sharing the same typing, abilities and certain movesets. So there's that.

I believe there is a bit of information within the Pokedex that hints that Inkay loves flipping things upside down, though how someone can come to the conclusion that this requires you to turn your 3DS upside down from that is anyone's guess.

Thank goodness for the Internet sharing information right?

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2014
    Uh, what? =/

You do evolve Inkay by turning the DS upside down. I've done it myself.

...I don't get this thread. I assumed it was old at first, before the method was revealed... but it's a day old. Are you tryin' toll? x3

Years
    I always liked the interesting concept behind the Inkay line, and the evolution method that requires your 3DS being held upside down ties into all of that really well. In fact I remember reading the rumor about said evolution method and boy was I spot-on.

I did do it myself and it was kinda hard to get it done correctly at first.

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
    I think it is a pretty unusual mechanic. But what I find interesting is trying to imagine what's really happening in the fictional game world when Inkay evolves. Does the trainer command Inkay to battle upside down? Does it need to stay upside down for a certain length of time? I wonder if the anime will ever tackle the topic, because my assumption would be James's Inkay won't evolve.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
    Don't know if first post is serious or troll... XD

My thoughts exactly.

I think it is a pretty unusual mechanic. But what I find interesting is trying to imagine what's really happening in the fictional game world when Inkay evolves. Does the trainer command Inkay to battle upside down? Does it need to stay upside down for a certain length of time? I wonder if the anime will ever tackle the topic, because my assumption would be James's Inkay won't evolve.

Good question, it'll be interesting to know if they ever bring it up in the anime.
    In the game, Inkay does turn upside down for some of its attacks, so perhaps that'll happen at some point in the anime and prompt the evolution? (I have no idea, I haven't seen any of the recent anime at all, so... clueless here. :P)

Pinta77

It's a strange game mechanic yes... not to happy they added it onto voltorb

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    It's a strange game mechanic yes... not to happy they added it onto voltorb

What are you talking about? It evolves at level 30, like always: https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/100.shtml

But anyway yes, I don't like this just for the simple fact that there's nothing in game that actually tells you you need to flip the 3DS to evolve it (and even then I'm not sure what the mechanic is, do you hold it upside down as in you're on your back and you hold the 3DS above you facing down, or do you hold the 3DS normally but inverted so that the buttons and touch screen are on top and the main screen is on the bottom? If there was an NPC in game that actually told you how to evolve Inkay then that would be perfectly fine, but how are you supposed to figure that out if you don't have internet or something?

Pinta77

someone told me that you have to flip voltorb upside down at level 30. Maybe I'm wrong

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    someone told me that you have to flip voltorb upside down at level 30. Maybe I'm wrong

are you sure they didn't mean Voltorb flips upside down when it evolves?

Spoiler:

Edit: Sorry about the pic sizes, they didn't look that big in google image preview!
    Edit 2: Thanks Miau for the Spoiler tip!

Last edited:

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I think the OP is being sarcastic, since that is exactly how Inkay evolves.

I had an Inkay in my in-game team, and it was a lot of fun to use. I'll be honest, when I first heard about the way to evolve it, I was... skeptical, to say the least. So as soon my Inkay reached lv 30, I turned my 3DS upside down, and was all, I am doing this right? Or am I just being royally trolled? I thought, no way this will work. And then, when the evolution animation started, I thought, no way, this actually works {XD}

PS: Howmander, you can always spoiler the pics, since they turned out to be so huge.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I did it first try with mine. And the coolest part is that Inkay and Malamar's designs look "proper" even when upside down.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Malamar is an okay Pokémon; I've used it a couple of times before, and have been able to take down plenty of opponents with it. Though, I would've really liked it if its stats were higher; to be more specific, its defenses. Aside from that, there's nothing else for me to complain about, really. =) Perhaps they could have made it a little more well-know as to how you should evolve Inkay?

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    There is also a hint on the TCG cards too, basically when the Pokémon is confused you turn the card upside down, then it evolves. It's pretty cool.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Malamar is an okay Pokémon; I've used it a couple of times before, and have been able to take down plenty of opponents with it. Though, I would've really liked it if its stats were higher; to be more specific, its defenses. Aside from that, there's nothing else for me to complain about, really. =) Perhaps they could have made it a little more well-know as to how you should evolve Inkay?

That's why you make sure it has the Contrary ability and make it learn Super Power so that every time it uses it it's Att and Def raise by one level.

Back