• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Pokemon Gold/Silver Hacker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2008
    Advance hacking doesn't interest me, I know how to do it and all, but it doesn't hit me in a good way.

But what does is GS Hacking.

I've already made my first map and I think it looks great. But I then tried to make my map a bit bigger and I couldn't.

My map is messed up also because when I play it, I go through walls and a chunk of a different map interferes with my current map, which is why I go through the walls, etc. If you don't understand I'll post a video soon.

I don't know how to insert tiles either, help?

I also don't know how to script, and is it possible to make my own scripts? Every tutorial I've read, which is only 2 because no one hacks older games anymore, made it seem like you could only edit existing scripts.

Also, how do I start another map from scratch?

How do I edit the title?

How do I edit the Pokemon?

And that's it really.

Sorry if theres so many questions.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I've already made my first map and I think it looks great. But I then tried to make my map a bit bigger and I couldn't.

My map is messed up also because when I play it, I go through walls and a chunk of a different map interferes with my current map, which is why I go through the walls, etc. If you don't understand I'll post a video soon.
    What are you using to make your map? In my experience, changing maps in ways beyond simple block arrangement is best done through hex editing -- however I'm not really up on hacking tools. cooley recently pointed out an English version of Zeromap, and while I haven't tried it yet, it sounds very useful.

In general (especially with G/S), it's good to have a healthy knowledge of hex editing before using tools to do stuff. More details on this below.
    I also don't know how to script, and is it possible to make my own scripts? Every tutorial I've read, which is only 2 because no one hacks older games anymore, made it seem like you could only edit existing scripts.
    A great resource for learning to script is this tutorial by Tauwasser. (Standard disclaimer: This links to an archive forum, where registration and posting are disabled.) The thread as a whole contains some advanced stuff, so focus on the scripting info -- which is also useful for mapping.

When it comes to creating new scripts instead of editing old ones: In general, it's not possible. This is because one of ROM hacking's biggest obstacles is space. Unlike a text file or Game Maker game or other files you're used to creating, ROMs must retain the original filesize, because internally it uses references ("pointers") to specific locations in the code. If you were to insert a script or map in the middle of the file, references would be pointing to the original locations, while the things being pointed to would have shifted position. There is a way around this (sort of), called "repointing," where you change the pointer to point to a new location and write the new script there.
    How do I edit the title?
    The title screen is compressed, and without some ASM work you'd be unable to decompress it. A patch for Pokemon Gold exists that decompresses it exists, you might want to look for that.
    How do I edit the Pokemon?
    Depends on what you want to edit. The images are compressed; utilities exist to insert new ones over them. The names can be easily modified in a hex editor with a table file. Stats are part of a larger data structure that also defines types and image locations; this can be changed through fair-to-middling level hex editing.

The lack of widely available info on G/S hacking is sort of a blessing in disguise; it requires those who are dedicated to work hard, and thus become very skilled at it. Don't get discouraged by the difficulty in starting out; soon it'll become second nature. By the by, hex editing is definitely the most important skill to learn if you want to go far with this.

One of the most important things I did when starting out was searching the Web for info on hacking. There's a lot of info out there (especially for G/S! Really, those Germans have figured out just about everything there is to find), and reading through years-old forums and wikis really taught me a lot about this stuff.

Some links I found useful when learning to hack:
    the Game Boy Pandocs (Possibly the most technical stuff you'll find, and for general GBC study. Don't expect to understand it all at once.)
    the Acmlm archives (1) (2) (3)
    Data Crystal, a ROM Hacking wiki
    Pokemon Gold ROM Map (great for hex editing)
    Pokemon Gold RAM Map (useful for Gameshark codes and ASM)
    Game Boy assembly

If you want clarification on anything, feel free to PM me. I have plenty of free time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2008
    Thanks all of you guys, hopefully I can make a good hack sooner or later.

Ill try to post the video of my hack, the part where 2 different maps interfere.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back