• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Pokemon's Life Span?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    You know, this is probably the only aspect of pokemon that doesn't make sense to me -- I know I probably shouldn't look at this too deep because pokemon isn't real but...if they were, sometimes I would wonder about a Pokemon's life span. Do pokemon even have a life span? I know some legendary pokemon, are in fact immortal or close to it, and some pokemon, like Porygon, aren't based on living entities, but what about the animal based pokemon? Do they have life spans? For instance...do they have more of a life span than normal trainers? Or, are they based on the animals, which are also based on the life span of them?

Now, these are some thoughts of mine...pokemon that I wonder about the life span the most is pokemon like Charmander, in the anime, Brock mentions that if a Charmander's flame at the tip of its tail is burned out, it could die. So...maybe pokemon have their own way that causes death? Also ghost pokemon -- if you can recall, I asked a question of if ghost pokemon were the spirits of pokemon, or people's souls, or just pokemon with ghost like characteristics. There's also that Marowak in the Pokemon Tower that died because of Team Rocket -- which was indeed a genuine ghost. So maybe pokemon have a life span, just higher than humans? Hm.

Of course, these are just sources of death for pokemon, so maybe pokemon just have a source of death rather than an actual life span.

So...what do you think of a pokemon's life span?

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    A Pokemon's life span doesn't really make sense to be honest. You've mentioned a few bits that really doesn't explain a Pokemon's life span. I wouldn't think they have a life span, maybe they have their own source of death. Like Charmander, as you've mentioned. But it isn't quite certain. I hope they explain this in the future of Pokemon.

Darn it, now I want to research this topic. D:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    A Pokemon's life span doesn't really make sense to be honest. You've mentioned a few bits that really doesn't explain a Pokemon's life span. I wouldn't think they have a life span, maybe they have their own source of death. Like Charmander, as you've mentioned. But it isn't quite certain. I hope they explain this in the future of Pokemon.

Darn it, now I want to research this topic. D:

Well, yeah, not quite a life span, those things I mentioned just involve pokemon passing away to a degree. So, I agree with you about a pokemon maybe just having a source of death rather than an actual life span. (hence the first post I Edited)

I dunno, they were just thoughts of mine... ^^;

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Aren't you forgetting that house in Lavender Town, wasn't that for departed Pokemon?
    You mean the tower? Yes, that's a place for departed Pokemon. Same goes to Mt. Pyre in Hoenn, Lost Tower in Sinnoh, and Unova's Celestial Tower. All of those structures are built to honor departed Pokemon. That means death is certain to Pokemon, but we are talking about a Pokemon's life span. ;A;

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024

Yeah, I was thinking of that plus the Dragonspiral Tower and Mt. Pyre.
    Dragonspiral Tower isn't the Unova equivalent of Mt. Pyre/Lavender's Pokemon Tower, Celestial Tower is. Dragonspiral Tower is the place where Reshiram/Zekrom was sealed. But enough about that, we're drifting a bit away from the topic.

I'd still say the Pokemon have no certain life span, and they have their own cause of death. Unless they explain it in the future.

AimayBee

Mighty Spriter
    Years
    I actually think a pokemons emotions are so entangled with their trainers that when the trainer dies, so would their pokemon they bonded with.

As for PC'd pokemon, they aren't really shown love, therfore no connection, so they become wild pokemon again.

I think poke balls have taken away the bond that trainer and pokemon used to share, such as Red's Pikachu and the pokemon in HG/SS.

Obviously a Pokemon would die if stated otherwise. [charmanders flame]

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    I actually think a pokemons emotions are so entangled with their trainers that when the trainer dies, so would their pokemon they bonded with.

As for PC'd pokemon, they aren't really shown love, therfore no connection, so they become wild pokemon again.

I think poke balls have taken away the bond that trainer and pokemon used to share, such as Red's Pikachu and the pokemon in HG/SS.

Obviously a Pokemon would die if stated otherwise. [charmanders flame]

Hm, that's actually an interesting theory; I wouldn't imagine bonds being THAT great. o3o;
    But that's just me.

AimayBee

Mighty Spriter
    Years
    Hm, that's actually an interesting theory; I wouldn't imagine bonds being THAT great. o3o;
    But that's just me.

So what do you think Red's Pikachu would do if he died?

I think that the captture and care of a Pokemon creates that bond. And it's Pokemon, it's always going on about love for pokemon and things.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    So what do you think Red's Pikachu would do if he died?

I think that the captture and care of a Pokemon creates that bond. And it's Pokemon, it's always going on about love for pokemon and things.
    If Red would've died, his Pikachu should've run free. I don't think the bonds between the trainer and Pokemon could affect a Pokemon's death. I mean, when the trainer dies, the Pokemon surely won't. The Pokemon could commit suicide if it wants to go with its trainer, but I don't think that when the trainer dies, the Pokemon dies too.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    A Pokemon has a very long life span.

In Blackthorn City, there was a Dragonite that belonged to the very first Blackthorn City Gym leader. Which was generations ago. Yet it's still alive and quite powerful.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    A Pokemon has a very long life span.

In Blackthorn City, there was a Dragonite that belonged to the very first Blackthorn City Gym leader. Which was generations ago. Yet it's still alive and quite powerful.
    Well, that kinda proves that if a trainer dies the Pokemon won't die. And somehow, it agrees with my theory that Pokemon doesn't have a life span but instead they have their own cause of death. Like Charmander's tail fire for example.

AimayBee

Mighty Spriter
    Years
    If Red would've died, his Pikachu should've run free. I don't think the bonds between the trainer and Pokemon could affect a Pokemon's death. I mean, when the trainer dies, the Pokemon surely won't. The Pokemon could commit suicide if it wants to go with its trainer, but I don't think that when the trainer dies, the Pokemon dies too.

I believe in love, [not saying you dont] and if it is true love [an unbreakable bond] then the pokemon would just fade away really. I really couldn't see Red's Pikachu going anywhere, I'd like to think of an aged Pikachu on the mountain where Red once stood but I can't see it really. x

I believe a Pokemons life force is linked to it's trainer.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I believe in love, [not saying you dont] and if it is true love [an unbreakable bond] then the pokemon would just fade away really. I really couldn't see Red's Pikachu going anywhere, I'd like to think of an aged Pikachu on the mountain where Red once stood but I can't see it really. x

I believe a Pokemons life force is linked to it's trainer.
    Personally, I'd see the Pikachu waiting on the place where Red dies. Patiently waiting for his master to come. That's how I imagined it. But still, all of this is still our theories. Until we can prove what will really happen, I'd say a Pokemon's life span is still undefined.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    To me it seems like it would depend on the Pokemon. Not every single individual Pokemon, but I mean what breed / kind that it is. For example, I think I remember the anime stating that dragon Pokemon can live for hundreds of years, or something. At least one's like Dragonite, and what not.

And then in the Orange Islands episode 'The Pi-Kahuna', that guy had kept his Pikachu with him for at least 20-30 years, and they had grown up together. That episode made it seem like Pokemon could live almost as long as humans, give or take a few years.

THEN there's Ghost Pokemon, who are alive, despite their types being 'ghost', but they can hang around and haunt places for hundreds of years. o_O

I've.. stopped trying to ponder it too much. All I figure is that the general life-span of a typical Pokemon isn't too different from a human's life-span, unless they die from a battle, or illness, etc.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    THEN there's Ghost Pokemon, who are alive, despite their types being 'ghost', but they can hang around and haunt places for hundreds of years. o_O
    Some ghost Pokemon came from humans, though. Like Yamask holds memories of its old human self. This makes the life span subject of Pokemon very broad and complicated. @.@

AimayBee

Mighty Spriter
    Years
    I've.. stopped trying to ponder it too much. All I figure is that the general life-span of a typical Pokemon isn't too different from a human's life-span, unless they die from a battle, or illness, etc.

Ghost Pokemon are strange ones, I do believe they are departed Pokemons spirits, proof is shown in Lavender Town, with the Silph scope needed, the Marowak ghost [that i think keeps its shape as marowak because of an un clean death] and even the supposed killing of Blue's Raticate. [he goes to see it at Lavender Tower.

I don't really think we can know, Game Freak just likes to mess with us. lol Like the whole egg bredding thing. *Shivers*

Back