• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Rain Dance team that needs some work done

genesis42

King of kings
    Years
    Well I've tried making a RD team in the past before (when I was a noob) but it wreaked of utter failure. But now with my vast knowledge of the metagame.. I thought "hey, why not give it another shot huh..?" So I went to Edit Team on Shoddy and opened up my old RD team and replaced pretty much everything.. including my beloved CursePert, DDdos and custom-made RD MixMence =( . Well guys this is what I have now:

! ! MY TEAM ! !

Bronzong @ Damp Rock
    Heatproof
    Sassy - 252 Hp, 24 Atk, 144 Def, 88 Sp. Def
    ~ Rain Dance
    ~ Explosion
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Gyro Ball

Ok, let's get started shall we? Firstly, my custom RDZong. Heatproof > Levitate so I can set up on the likes of FB Azelf, Overheat Nape, Heatrans etc... but having the inabiilty to switch into EQ really hurts. Now to explain the EVs. Max Hp since I don't have Leftovers as my held item, 24 Atk ensures I OHKO Bliss with Explosion if SR is up, the Def EVs gives me a fighting chance against DDTar and the Sp. Def EVs give me that nice bonus point with the +Sp.Def nature. Lastly, I decided to go Gyro Ball > Hypnosis as I really neede away to deal with Taunters.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
    Swift Swim
    Modest - 92 Hp, 164 Spd, 252 Sp. Atk
    ~ Dragon Pulse
    ~ Hidden Power (Electric)
    ~ Surf
    ~ Rain Dance

Back-up Rain Dancer#1. I've always had trouble coming up with an appropriate EV spread for this guy ever since Plat came out, so one day I decided to go look on Smogon and see what they had to say and they suggested this. There's one major downside that's really been putting me off to this set, and that's its held item. I really love the Power boost LO offers but the residual damage racks up fairly quickly since SRs always out, and we can't forget about the omni-present SS and stuff, I think I might go back with Leftovers =/ EV spread is pretty self-explanatory, max Sp .Atk, Spd allows me to outspeed base 100 Scarfers under Rain and rest in Hp. Dragon Pulse > Ice Beam because DP still OHKOs Mence and D.nite.

Rotom-w @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    Bold - 252 Hp, 120 Def, 88 Spd, 48 Sp. Atk
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Thunder
    ~ Shadow Ball
    ~ Rain Dance

Back-up Rain Dancer#2. EV spread is a bit iffy as I don't really know what I was going for.. All I knew was that I wanted a lot of bulk while still being able to dent things. Max Hp gives a Leftovers number, 120 Def + Bold gives me the nice bonus point, 88 Spd allows me to hit 230 which outspeeds max Spd Adamant Scizor (but seriously.. who the hell runs that? >_> ), and rest in Sp. Atk. Hydro Pump acts as STAB under Rain, Thunder abuses Rain and Shadow Ball because Rotom appreciates a secondary reliable STAB when Rain goes out so I'm not entirely too reliant on the Rain with this guy. Covers my Ground weakness.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
    Swift Swim
    Adamant - 112 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Def, 140 Spd
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ X-Scissor
    ~ Aqua Jet

When I was creating my RD team, I had a certain goal in mind, I must have the strongest Physical and Special sweeper in my team that abuses Swift Swim. So here we have Kabutops. Max Atk, 140 in Spd to hit 462 Spd under Rain to outspeed Ninjask (don't know why).... 112 in Hp So i have a Hp stat of 289 which means I'll only take 28 damage from LOs recoil and the rest in Def. Dual Stab followed up by priority just incase the Rain fizzles out and X-Scissor for coverage.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
    Oblivious
    Jolly - 20 Hp, 252 Atk, 236 Spd
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Superpower
    ~ Ice Shard

What I noticed was that my team was really leaning against the Special spectrum, meaning that Blissey could come in on any of my Special attackers and then potentially cripple them with Thunder Wave, and speaking of Thunder Wave, this guy really helps me deal with the large majority of Electric attacks which RD teams are weak to, also.. this guy loses its fire weakness in Rain so that's another bonus :D . I use to run LO on this guy aswell but then I realised when this guy faints the opponents pkmn, he is usually forced to switch out due to the opponent bringing out there revenge-killer so I thought "why not make this guy a hit-and-run pkmn?". Also, the CB works nicely with Superpower. For what it's worth, Jolly + 236 Spd allows me to hit 280 which screws up opposing Lukes and Mamo doesn't necessarily care about getting into a speed tie with Gliscor as he can just Ice Shard 'em away.

NEED HELP WITH LAST SLOT

As you might've noticed, my team is somewhat weak to Grass and has no reliable method to deal with them as the only pkmns I have that can hit Super Effective on them are Mamo w/ Ice Shard (which usually doesn't deal enough damage) and Kabutops w/ X-Scissor (which is usually too slow without the Rain). So help please guys.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Tyranitar weak.

Not only does it screw your rain up, but after a Dragon Dance it outspeeds and OHKO's your entire team. At the very least, shove Gyro Ball somewhere on Zong (more def evs if preferable too) ._.. A-Jet is on Tops but it wont ohko tar, just something here to consider.

I also suggest using Swords Dance on Kabutops, why ? Because it mashes like everything after one.

Id bump rotoms speed to 280 tbh, especially for Bullet Punch Lucario (or i would just hope mamoswine can live a +2 LO Bullet Punch which i very much doubt and rain is up so you can revenge it ). o_o

For the last slot, something like Ludicolo could work if you are having problems with grass types. =p

genesis42

King of kings
    Years
    Tyranitar weak.

... How the hell did I miss this one..? <.<;;

Not only does it screw your rain up, but after a Dragon Dance it outspeeds and OHKO's your entire team. At the very least, shove Gyro Ball somewhere on Zong (more def evs if preferable too) ._.. A-Jet is on Tops but it wont ohko tar, just something here to consider.

I have had problems with T.Tar to be honest, whenever I try setting up, the loser just comes in and negates my RD. Changing Zong from Careful > Sassy and Gyro Ball > Reflect, also revamping Zongs EV spread.

I also suggest using Swords Dance on Kabutops, why ? Because it mashes like everything after one.

OK, but what attack should I replace and should I still have LO as my held item if I make this change?

Id bump Rotoms speed to 280 tbh, especially for Bullet Punch Lucario (or i would just hope mamoswine can live a +2 LO Bullet Punch which i very much doubt and rain is up so you can revenge it ). o_o

Eh, even if I do outpace Luke with Rotom-w, what's Rotom-w gonna do back to Luke? He can't OHKO him so I'm looking at Will-o-Wisp here.

For the last slot, something like Ludicolo could work if you are having problems with grass types. =p

I've used the LO sweeper Ludi before but I just felt as if though his damage output wasn't high enough but I'll give him another shot if you insist.. or are you referring to Stall-Ludi here? Hmm, I actually use to run Roserade in my last slot to counter Grass types before: Sleep Powder/Sludge Bomb/Leaf Storm/Filler.

Back