• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Taillow's Plight

Who is your favorite character so far in A Taillow's Plight?

• Erin the Taillow

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Fawkes the Torchic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mother Blaziken

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skarmory

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LugiaFreak

Years
    Chapter Four: Shadows in the Sky

Chapter Four
    Shadows in the Sky

You could see the shadow of him, but that was all.[FONT=&quot]His chunky figure gleamed in the rays of the moon, and his yellow eyes narrowed. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] He scanned his mountains, and his brilliant eyesight enabled him to see two tiny Pokémon wandering his cliffs - a Torchic and a Taillow. They didn't live anywhere, he could tell, just by their tired eyes and stumbled walking.[FONT=&quot]Angrily, he hissed, "There is a place for every Pokémon in this world, and if they do not have a place, they do not belong here." [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] After looking around for any signs of eavesdroppers or meals, he spread his great silver wings and alighted from the cliff, cutting through the air silent as a Noctowl.

[FONT=&quot]Erin and Fawkes were once again wandering the rocks and ridges of the Craggy Mountains, looking for a place to sleep. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Fawkes promised himself as well as Erin that he would be sure to check and double-check inside the entire cave they selected as home to make sure it wasn't already occupied.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The two had been wandering for a few days, but the strange abundance of food and fresh water had kept them alive until they could find a home. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Over these past few days, Erin and Fawkes hadn't really talked to each other. There wasn't anything to talk about. Erin didn't really mind this, as she had enough to think about as it was. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Fawkes, however, was a bit embarrassed, for he thought Erin hated him and didn't want to speak to him. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Fawkes had tried to bring up subjects to talk about with her, but she only replied with short answers or simply, 'I don't know.' [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Today, Fawkes had told himself he was going to get her to talk. If they were going to be traveling together, they might as well get acquainted, at least. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]After a while, Fawkes said gingerly, "You know, Erin," He paused as the two slowly eased their way around a clump of rocks. "I've been thinking about what we should do after we find a cave to live in. Once we stock up on food and water, we'll have all the time in the world to do different things. We could… explore, or train, or… we could get to know each other." [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Fawkes emphasized the last option. He waited patiently for Erin answer, hoping he could get something out of her. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Stumbling over a rock, Erin mumbled, "I don't know." [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Fawkes rolled his eyes, but after rethinking what the tone of Erin's voice was, he stopped abruptly.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"Erin? Are you okay? You sound… sick."
    [/FONT]
    He walked over to her and tilted his head back so he could look into her eyes. Gasping, Fawkes cried, "Gah! You look horrible!"

Looking up, Erin sighed sarcastically, "Thanks."

There were rings under her eyes, and her feathers were frayed and dirty.

"Don't worry about me," Erin continued. "I'm fine."

She was obviously lying, but Fawkes didn't know what to do. He couldn't carry her, because he had no arms.

Fawkes decided to keep going down the mountain, because there wasn't anything else to do.

Pausing for another moment before continuing, Fawkes had to stop again when Erin screeched and fell flat on her face in the rocks.

Fawkes rushed over to her, and as he helped her up, Fawkes noticed Erin's feet were covered with cuts and wounds, some a few days old, some fresh and still bleeding.

"Erin!" Fawkes cried again. "What's wrong with your feet? Maybe we should take a break, just for a while."

Erin looked down, and to Fawkes' surprise, she answered with the most words she had said in a row that day.

"Oh, that." She said quietly. "See, my feet aren't meant for walking; they're soft. They aren't really meant to be on the ground at all, because I'm supposed to know how to fly," Erin added sharply, "And these rocks aren't helping. For now, though, I'm fine. We need to find a place to sleep anyway. I can handle it. Let's go."

With that, Erin continued to head down the mountain, leaving Fawkes to stare at her blankly, amazed.

Fawkes had to hand it to Erin; she was much tougher then he had previously thought.
    Smiling, Fawkes hopped along after her.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After what seemed like almost nothing to Fawkes and absolutely forever to Erin, the two reached another cave, which was very thoroughly checked by Fawkes before they made the final decision that this would be their home.

Fawkes began making a fire with twigs, leaves, and Ember. Once that was done, he proceeded to make beds for the two of them out of dry grass and leaves, and he was sure to make Erin's extra soft.

As Fawkes worked, Erin sat in the corner of the cave, wanting to help. Her feet were a mess, and she could hardly walk after the painful trek down those awful mountains.

Finally, after all the jobs were done, Fawkes and Erin sat in their beds and looked drowsily into the fire. As Fawkes stared into the flames, he began to speak in a quiet, tired tone.

"Erin," he began. "I want you to stay here in the cave tomorrow, okay? Your feet are in pretty bad shape, so just stay here and relax. Don't go anywhere outside of the cave, but don't worry about you or me either. I'll be close by, gathering food us to eat."

Despite being half-asleep and in pain, Erin mumbled sickly, "Whatever you say."

Although it didn't sound very promising, Fawkes trusted that Erin would as she was told.

"Now," he said, looking out at the mouth of the cave. "It's still light out, but only just. I'll be back with food and water soon, alright? You stay put," Fawkes paused, then smiled before saying, "And keep out of trouble."

Expecting Erin to not respond Fawkes headed for the mouth of the cave and out into the mountainous air.

"Be careful. Don't die." Erin mumbled to him, to Fawkes' surprise.

Fawkes smiled to himself, and he knew that Erin had been listening to every word he had said, and had acknowledged it.

After Fawkes had left, Erin began to fade, and before long she was fast asleep.

Erin awoke with a start when Fawkes nudged her lightly on the shoulder.

When she had fully come to, he held out a small bushel of berries and a cup welded together with Fawkes' flames filled with water.

"Here," he said. "It's all for you. I ate and drank while I was out. We have the hugest batch of berry bushes near here. I think we chose a good place to live."

"Mmm-hmm." Erin yawned, getting up slowly, and then devouring the food and drink in record time.

"Wow," Fawkes said, then turned red. "Sorry… I didn't realize you were so hungry. I should've gotten food earlier." Fawkes paused, then asked, "How are your feet?"

Erin looked down at her battered talons, saying, "Not much better, but they'll heal."

"Good." Fawkes said, sitting down by the fire again. "I want you to stay here at the cave until they heal. Now that we have a home, food, and water nearby, and once your feet are well again, I think it's about time we started to train ourselves so we can become stronger, and maybe someday evolve into Combusken, then Blaziken, but most importantly… Swellow."

Last edited:

LugiaFreak

Years
    New Poll!

Hey everyone!

I set up a character poll to see who is the most popular character so far. I'll have a new poll every once in a while when new characters show up.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to leave reviews! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back